Opticblaze

Feb 13, 2016, 12:44:03 AM2/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hi there, as well all know spammers are a very creative bunch. Look at this guy, adammary http://www.silverstripe.org/community/forums/upgrading-silverstripe/show/111483
who tries to write the post so that it sounds like a legit question. Is it possible that a 'mark as spam button' be added to the forum. Even if it just for the person that started the thread. At least that way we can flag this for removal? Thanks

Martimiz

Feb 13, 2016, 5:29:24 AM2/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hi Optic, I've removed this users two posts, that he obviously copied from someone else :(

Abour flagging posts for removal, I think this has been discussed before, the problem is how to get this to the moderators. By mail, by rss, some moderator page? We have no access to the backend :) Also a point is who will respond and who then will take the time to look and find everything has been removed already. So I guess mail wouldnt be the best of options, especially since the forum is kind of slow-ish...

I'm not sure what would speak against the thread-owner removing a post. Marking as spam is another thing, since it would ban the user, and all his posts, so I wouldn't promote giving that power to every passer-by...

Martine

Opticblaze

Feb 13, 2016, 6:15:07 AM2/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hi there Martine,

Thanks for the reply and removing the post. I hear what you are saying about the challenges in giving the wrong people the ability to mark users as spam. Would it not be possible to have a button that reads ''i think this is spam' for users like me.Of course we have to be logged into the forum to see this.

Then extend the forum so that when moderators log into the forum (as i assume they have to do), they get a list of potential spam messages. A dashboard in other words that lists potential spam messages that the community has flagged. At least that way the moderators don't have to go trawling through the site to find spam.

You could also have a button (for the moderators only) that allows them to mark 'hostile users'. The idea is that if i go through the forum and just start marking posts as 'i think this is spam' that i get a negative rating which pushes my spam flagging requests down the list or puts it in another list for the moderator so that they (the moderators) can flag me as  someone crying wolf the whole time...in other words i get a negative rating because i mark items as spam which are not spam.

Optic

Patrick Nelson

Feb 13, 2016, 1:36:01 PM2/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I didn't get a chance to see the spammer so I miss out on the creative pseudo-question spam, hah. I assume the forum is running on SilverStripe, so I know it's able to be enhanced.

I'm not necessarily keen on demoting spam score if someone marks things as spam a lot since, hey, if a user goes on a crusade to help rid the site of actual spam (and he's legit) he shouldn't be punished for that. I do think however the site should be making sure it keeps track of who marked what as spam in case you do wish to analyze stats like that (for the naughty users who like to giggle and click for fun). Or accidents. In the case of accidents, maybe it'd be easy to just throw an "(undo)" parenthetical link next to it after they get their green check mark. Piece of cake.

The back end could include a list of the top "marked as spam" links with the ability to either immediately 1) delete/disable the post or 2) ghost the user (effectively removing all posts and disabling the account). I like the ability to have two levels there. Also,  the backend would then have the reporting section to list the top spam reporters, stats on how right they have been (%of confirmed reporting) and also stats on remaining unconfirmed by a mod). Naturally this means spam posts that have been reviewed by a mod are not only just deleted or ghosted, but they can also be removed/confirmed by a mod (not permanent!). This shouldn't be permanent since obviously users can use that as a loophole since they can edit posts.

Also: are you guys using akismet like the Wordpress peeps do? With all the years of experience WP has had with... Issues relating to security and comment spam... Sure they have some wisdom to provide here as well 🤓

- Pat a.k.a. chunk_split

Sent from my iPad

Stevie Mayhew

Feb 13, 2016, 3:12:18 PM2/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
We've been successful eliminated spam from one forum we run on SilverStripe by using Cam Spiers Statistical Classifier. https://github.com/camspiers/statistical-classifier

You do need access to be able to monitor the spam/ham outputs which might not be as easy when you don't have access to administration, but its definitely a good option :)

Cam Findlay

Feb 15, 2016, 4:42:10 PM2/15/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
We've put in several spam stopping measures over the past couple of years. Things keep changing in the spam world so we'll have to keep adapting. Happy to review any PRs to the forum module for improvements and features to help. I'm not opposed to give mods backend access as long as we contain the admin interface to something like a modeladmin.

Perhaps can someone add the ideas here is a set of issues on the module itself so we can keep track and maybe plan some work?

And big thanks to the forum mods for the awesome job keeping the love guru spammers at bay since ages ago!

Gordon Anderson

Feb 16, 2016, 8:46:27 AM2/16/16
On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 3:12 AM, Stevie Mayhew <stevie...@littlegiant.co.nz> wrote:
We've been successful eliminated spam from one forum we run on SilverStripe by using Cam Spiers Statistical Classifier. https://github.com/camspiers/statistical-classifier

I wonder if the same technique could be used for the comments module.

Regards

Gordon

Martine bloem

Feb 16, 2016, 9:08:23 AM2/16/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking - if we were to let people report possible spam (maybe people with at least 5 legit posts or some other sort of filter) then it would be easy to create a mods-only page that has links to these reported spams. Not cached, so that if the next mod comes to look, the page can be empty again.

Of course this could be a cms page, where you can remove posts right away, but it doesn't have to be.

 I think it is still a good idea to visit the post within its thread before deciding if it actually is spam, and  then remove it from there in one of the available ways, or remove it from the reported spam list. We'd need another button for that :)

Martine

Cam Findlay

Feb 16, 2016, 3:28:00 PM2/16/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Just to flesh this out a bit... what would be the parameters allowing people to mark things as spam?

Would they have to:
  • Have an account.
  • Be signed in.
  • Have made a post in the past (or X number of posts) to prove they are legit users and not spammers, spamming the mark as spam feature.

I'd be in favour of a model admin type interface for the mods to jump in and check and clear spam/ban users. The forum module may require some work for this and would be great to have a bit of help on this module to implement these types of features.

Which raises another question... anyone interested in becoming a forum mod?

Perks:
  • The satisfaction of banning annoying spammers thereby providing a nice place for your fellow community members to converse
  • The love and admiration of the community at large
  • Cam might buy you a beer one day
Totally worth it ;)

Op 16 feb. 2016 om 14:46 heeft Gordon Anderson <gordon.b...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven: