Git workflow for the open source team

Christopher Pitt

Jun 4, 2015, 4:48:29 AM6/4/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We want to make the contribution and release processes easier and clearer for everyone. So we've written a [draft] guide for how the open source team, at SilverStripe, contribute to the various supported modules. We're keen to hear feedback on this process/guide. When there's a general sense that the community is happy with the process, we'll submit a pull request to the official docs.

Let us know what you think!

Chris

g4b0

Jun 5, 2015, 5:11:32 AM6/5/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Nice work Chris! When I started working on SS I really loved this graph: http://www.clickhere.nl/assets/lab/collaboration-on-github.png

Maybe it should be useful for someone else...

g4b0

James Pluck

Jun 7, 2015, 9:54:04 PM6/7/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Agreed!  That is an excellent graph.  Makes the process of forking and creating the appropriate later pull-request a lot clearer!

Kind regards

James Pluck (BSc, AIITP)
Director
--
Courage Web Solutions Ltd
P: +64-7-929 4960

Ingo Schommer

Jun 15, 2015, 1:25:13 AM6/15/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hey Chris,

Thanks for trying to make it easier for folks to contribute! In terms of a getting started guide, where do you see these docs fitting into the existing IA of http://docs.silverstripe.org/en/3.1/contributing/

I'm a bit wary of fragmentation - there's already too much overlap I think:
Can we find a way to consolidate this into a doc which works both for contributors and developers starting with their first bespoke project?

How does the guide relate to the existing "contributing" page? http://docs.silverstripe.org/en/3.1/contributing/code/
If you are planning to replace it, then where does additional info like "how we use github labels" go? How about that graph in there?

On the guide content:
- The VirtualHost step is optional, SS is designed to work in a subfolder, specifically to make it easy to get started. So I think its a bit too much noise this early in a "getting started" guide
- We haven't used a personal voice ("I have chosen") in the docs so far, and I think it would be inconsistent.
Works well for a Medium post with an author attached, not so well for a doc.ss.org page.

Thanks
Ingo
--
Ingo Schommer | Solutions Architect
SilverStripe (http://silverstripe.com)

David Alexander

Jun 26, 2015, 11:54:46 PM6/26/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

Being very new to SS, I have recently been wading through any and all documentation I can get a hold of. I'm exhausted!

I agree wholeheartedly agree that (i) contributing needs to be easier to understand and do (ii) the existing documentation is fragmented.

A number of other thoughts have come to mind about how to document SS. Allow me to pose questions these thoughts have stimulated:

(1) What are the end goals of the documentation ?
(2) What is(are) the target audience(s) for the documentation ?
(3) How much documentation of "external" tools and notions (ie: git, Github, composer, packagist, PHPDoc, SemVer, YML, XML, PHP, HTML, CSS,JS, Windows vs. OSX vs. *nix, OOP, OODBs,...) should be included ?
(4) What organising principles can be used to avoid fragmentation and encourage adherence to the "DRY" principle ?
(5) How can documentation be organised so that as SS changes it is relatively easy to update ?
(6) How can the valuable information in the 2009 Complete Guide and the 2011 Beginner's Guide be more fully incorporated ?
(7) Should SS aim for a comprehensive, authoritative guide, released once every MAJOR version ?

In my opinion, in addition to various "how tos", there is a serious need for more developer documentation of a "top down" character so that someone completely new to SS can get oriented within the overall architecture much more easily. Such a top down view would help new web developers as much as it would help experienced ones.

What do you all think ?

David.