PHP/Silverstripe IDE Survey : What IDE do you use for SS work ?

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 3:44:33 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hi all.

I am curious about which IDEs SilverStripers are using. I have experimented with Eclipse PDT, CodeLite, PHPStorm, NetBeans. I have also tried Sublime. All tend to feel like running a marathon in a tropical country wearing a down winter jacket, especially compared to my beloved and nimble Emacs, but that is due to none of them yet being second nature. I like a lot of the features IDEs offer but I am generally dissatisfied with the in-built editors. I am trying to decide in which IDE to invest the effort to make it second nature...and which IDE is enough of a step up to leave my first wife, Emacs...:P

What IDE do you use for SS work ?

One word answers appreciated. Multiple word answers appreciated even more :)

Thanks in advance,

David.

Nic Horstmeier

Apr 13, 2016, 3:47:10 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
PHPStorm

Jeremy Thomerson

Apr 13, 2016, 3:59:05 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
vim - it's the only IDE I ever need unless I'm working on Java (Eclipse) or Swift (XCode).

I do use Sublime quite a lot for other things - general text editing and note taking, etc. I love its great multi-editing features (select all matches of something and then start navigating and typing/editing all of those instances at once). This makes editing large formulaic files fast and easy. Think of converting a CSV/TSV or copy/paste output from Excel in one fell swoop. It's fun.

Martine bloem

Apr 13, 2016, 4:19:46 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Netbeans - it has its quirks (especially the heavy scanning on startup, time for coffee) but I've been using it for so long now that it kinda dances for me :)

::nadeeth::

Apr 13, 2016, 4:42:44 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Netbeans

Ralph Slooten

Apr 13, 2016, 4:42:52 PM4/13/16
to silverstripe-dev
Personally I use Atom, Github's own multi-platform open source editor ;-) Very similar to Sublime Text, just (imho) better.

Anselm Christophersen

Apr 13, 2016, 5:08:04 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I’ve tried lots before settling on PHPStorm. Haven’t looked back since.

Christopher Pitt

Apr 13, 2016, 6:20:22 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
PHPStorm erryday!

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 6:25:01 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Dances ? I'm intriged! I'd love to see a video of that!!!

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 6:26:31 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Yeah...I was thinking of trying it. Now I will! Thanks.

Patrick Nelson

Apr 13, 2016, 6:27:01 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Psh... https://xkcd.com/378/

But seriously: PhpStorm all day, erryday! Vim is also awesome when you're in a pinch (gotta know vim). But 95% day to day is either PhpStorm or Notepad++.

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 6:30:46 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
I'd be especially keen to hear what the rest of the core committers are using. I know Dan uses PHPStorm....and now Christopher....what about the rest of you ?

On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 16:20:22 UTC-6, Christopher Pitt wrote:
PHPStorm erryday!

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 6:34:50 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Patrick, thanks for reminding me about xkcd...great comic strip :)  And, I have used the Emacs command C-x M-c M-butterfly on occasion but the resulting code needs a lot of tidying up!

Sam Minnée

Apr 13, 2016, 7:00:50 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
I use Sublime Text because I'm too old to change my ways.

Sam Minnée
CEO
SilverStripe Limited

Opticblaze

Apr 13, 2016, 7:12:37 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
I use dreamweaver...since it plays nice with design programs and I am used to it. plus I in any case pay for creative cloud might as well use it

Marcus Nyeholt

Apr 13, 2016, 7:15:43 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

Netbeans. I depend on an integrated debugger.

On 14 Apr 2016 9:12 am, "Opticblaze" <web_m...@opticblaze.co.za> wrote:
I use dreamweaver...since it plays nice with design programs and I am used to it. plus I in any case pay for creative cloud might as well use it

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 7:19:41 PM4/13/16
On 16-04-13 05:00 PM, Sam Minnée wrote:
I use Sublime Text because I'm too old to change my ways.

Well, I sort of feel like that with Emacs but I have decided to fight age-related neuronal plasticity loss by forcing myself to switch away from Emacs...it's a developer's version of the retirement advice to "learn to speak a new language" or "take up a new hobby"... not that retirement is any time soon :P

Naomi Guyer

Apr 13, 2016, 7:28:18 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Atom. I tried PHPStorm, but the interface was too much for me (I like to start minimal and add plugins when I need them), so I went back to Atom.

Cheers

Naomi

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 7:32:54 PM4/13/16
On 16-04-13 05:28 PM, Naomi Guyer wrote:
Atom. I tried PHPStorm, but the interface was too much for me (I like to start minimal and add plugins when I need them), so I went back to Atom.

Yup! Learning PHPStorm looks like it would be similar to learning how to use Blender! Definitely not something for minimalists!

Patrick Nelson

Apr 13, 2016, 7:42:41 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
For the record, I found it pretty easy to use. Granted it doesn't have a simplified interface, but to me (as a "power user") I actually like it but -- better yet -- it does allow you the ability to customize the interface however you wish. It has various color themes and plenty of options for window management. Really it's most powerful feature for me is the intuitive auto-completion; then again I'm coming from Notepad (90's) -> Dreamweaver (early 2000's) -> PhpStorm (circa 2012) so YMMV.

Hamish Friedlander

Apr 13, 2016, 7:48:59 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
PHPStorm all the way. Although the cost of the full IntelliJ annoys me when I swap into some other language, like Python or Ruby, so I end up using Atom then.

Hamish Friedlander

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 8:15:49 PM4/13/16
On 16-04-13 05:42 PM, Patrick Nelson wrote:
For the record, I found it pretty easy to use. Granted it doesn't have a simplified interface, but to me (as a "power user") I actually like it but -- better yet -- it does allow you the ability to customize the interface however you wish. It has various color themes and plenty of options for window management. Really it's most powerful feature for me is the intuitive auto-completion; then again I'm coming from Notepad (90's) -> Dreamweaver (early 2000's) -> PhpStorm (circa 2012) so YMMV.

Yes, I like those features too, but PHPStorm is a bit visually overwhelming upon a first or even second try. I really like Eclipse for Java but I found Eclipse for PHP not nearly as helpful. PHPStorm has an Emacs mode for the editor but it isn't really Emacs :( Even when using Eclipse, I'd always turn polling on so I could use Emacs as an external editor for the heavy typing; any changes made in Emacs would then automatically show up in the native editor, which I could then just use for debugging/refactoring...but using Emacs like this doesn't give all the helpful coding hints. I tried to find this sort of polling option in PHPStorm but couldn't. Does anyone know if it PHPStorm has it ? Perhaps PHPStorm (the most likely candidate at this stage) not having polling would help getting away from Emacs...cold turkey, like quitting smoking (for the record, I don't smoke!).

Thanks for all the comments so far...I am finding it helpful to get a sense of what others are working with :)

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 8:17:11 PM4/13/16
On 16-04-13 05:48 PM, Hamish Friedlander wrote:
PHPStorm all the way. Although the cost of the full IntelliJ annoys me when I swap into some other language, like Python or Ruby, so I end up using Atom then.

Oh. How often do you have to use Python or Ruby in SS related work ?

Zenmonkey

Apr 13, 2016, 8:24:41 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
I've been using PHPStorm lately. I'm on a Mac so netbeans drove me crazy with it's windows centric keyboard shortcuts. There's a SilverStripe theme plugin for PHPStorm, though it's a litte out of date and throws warnings.

Matt Clegg

Apr 13, 2016, 8:28:03 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Yeah PHPStorm is great for PHP stuff but the full IntelliJ suite seems too unstable and overpriced for what it is. I use PyCharm for Python stuff but the stand alone Ruby one (RubyMine) doesn't seem very stable either.

After reading peoples opinion here I think I'll try Atom.

Matt

On 14/04/2016 00:48, Hamish Friedlander wrote:
PHPStorm all the way. Although the cost of the full IntelliJ annoys me when I swap into some other language, like Python or Ruby, so I end up using Atom then.

Hamish Friedlander

Simon Erkelens

Apr 13, 2016, 8:28:10 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Full IntelliJ or PHPStorm.
Although the latest IntelliJ version often crashes on my baby laptop

Christopher Pitt

Apr 13, 2016, 8:31:55 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
I'd be especially keen to hear what the rest of the core committers are using. I know Dan uses PHPStorm....and now Christopher....what about the rest of you ?

I'm not a core committer, and given I'm not in the open source team anymore, I don't think it's likely to happen...

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 8:36:12 PM4/13/16
On 16-04-13 06:31 PM, Christopher Pitt wrote:
I'd be especially keen to hear what the rest of the core committers are using. I know Dan uses PHPStorm....and now Christopher....what about the rest of you ?

I'm not a core committer, and given I'm not in the open source team anymore, I don't think it's likely to happen...

Oopsie...sorry, I thought I saw your name associated with core committers somewhere...

Hamish Friedlander

Apr 13, 2016, 9:08:17 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Not a lot - mostly for Platform stuff, rather than SilverStripe Framework. Puppet and Gitlab are ruby based, and there's a little internal Word to HTML converter I wrote that interfaces with LibreOffice that's written in Python (because there aren't good Uno binding for PHP).

Hamish Friedlander

Christopher Pitt

Apr 13, 2016, 9:13:55 PM4/13/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Word to HTML

You mean .docx? 'Cause that's called an XML importer... :P

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 9:32:18 PM4/13/16
On 16-04-13 07:08 PM, Hamish Friedlander wrote:

Not a lot - mostly for Platform stuff, rather than SilverStripe Framework. Puppet and Gitlab are ruby based, and there's a little internal Word to HTML converter I wrote that interfaces with LibreOffice that's written in Python (because there aren't good Uno binding for PHP).

Ah, OK. Thanks Hamish. I didn't know Puppet is used in Platform but fully anticipated Git would be. About converting word processing documents to html/php: is this so clients can give you content written in a word processor and you can quickly convert it to html/php for incorporating into a site ?

James Pluck

Apr 13, 2016, 9:46:34 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
PHPStorm and Sublime.  PHPStorm because it links into Upsource which we use for peer review.

Kind regards

James Pluck

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 10:01:58 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James.

I didn't know about Upsource and am interested. Upsource combined with PHPStorm might be a powerful combination.

Patrick Nelson

Apr 13, 2016, 10:04:33 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Upsource: https://leemoyer.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/whoa.jpg

Where have you been all my life?

David Alexander

Apr 13, 2016, 10:06:40 PM4/13/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
My reaction was slightly different to Keanu's :P

off...@netwerkstatt.at

Apr 14, 2016, 2:31:43 AM4/14/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

Same here. After using editors, phpeclipse and netbeans for years  I switched to Idea, the bigger brother of PHPStorm since 2013 and I love it.  Mostly due to the Silverstripe Theme plugin that helps you with missing <% end_... %> tags.

Though it’s a bit difficult to set it all up, it helps me a lot every day.

Most I like the “Find Class” or “Find File” command, and the class hierarchy. This way I can easily hop around in the whole project code and look at the code what a specific framework method does.

Xdebug integration is totally easy, netbeans was much more difficult to setup when I tried it the last time.

There are tons of good tutorials how you can do something if you feel the need for it (e.g. debug CLI remotely, or debug a unit test remotely etc…).

If you earn money with your work, I think it’s not that expensive (compared to other software).

Cheers, Werner

I’ve tried lots before settling on PHPStorm. Haven’t looked back since.

Lamin Barrow

Apr 14, 2016, 2:52:33 AM4/14/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Sublime Text because its just too fast.

"Have those who disbelieved not considered that the heavens and the earth were a joined entity, and We separated them and made from water every living thing? Then will they not believe?"[Quran 21: 30]

Lamin Barrow
AKA deveSigner

Online at:
skype: barrowbros

swaiba

Apr 14, 2016, 3:34:07 AM4/14/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
TextPad, Vim & PHPStorm... depending.

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 8:44:33 PM UTC+1, David Alexander wrote:
Hi all.

I am curious about which IDEs SilverStripers are using. I have experimented with Eclipse PDT, CodeLite, PHPStorm, NetBeans. I have also tried Sublime. All tend to feel like running a marathon in a tropical country wearing a down winter jacket, especially compared to my beloved and nimble Emacs, but that is due to none of them yet being second nature. I like a lot of the features IDEs offer but I am generally dissatisfied with the in-built editors. I am trying to decide in which IDE to invest the effort to make it second nature...and which IDE is enough of a step up to leave my first wife, Emacs...:P

What IDE do you use for SS work ?

Gregory Smirnov

Apr 14, 2016, 4:20:01 AM4/14/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

I used to work a lot with Eclipse, then switched to NetBeans 8. Now I use NetBeans only for proper debugging. I use Sublime Text 3 for usual codding, and I have never tried PHPStorm.

Gregory

Loz Calver

Apr 14, 2016, 4:40:10 AM4/14/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
I use Sublime Text because I'm too old to change my ways.
Sublime Text because its just too fast.

+1 to each of these. I have tried PHPStorm and co, but I’ve just never got on with them. I couldn’t even get used to Atom, despite how similar it is to Sublime Text.

My advice would just be to try as many as you can (PHPStorm has a free trial, can’t remember about the others), give them a few days or so each and see which one you get on with best. And if you find that none of them work as well for you as Emacs does, stick with Emacs! Better the devil you know...

Gregory Smirnov

Apr 14, 2016, 6:19:45 AM4/14/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

David, probably this plugin for Sublime Text could help you with evaluation/transition

https://github.com/grundprinzip/sublemacspro

Gregory

Apr 14, 2016, 6:55:48 AM4/14/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
I use PHPStorm and love it! My favourite features are:
  • Integration with Xdebug (makes fixing issues so much easier)
  • Refactoring shortcuts (saves so much time)
  • And multi-cursor editing (like Sublime)
I agree with Loz that you should try and find the editor that works for you. The only thing I'd add is that to really test an editor out you have to invest in using it, so when you come to do something that you think should be easier/faster take the time to learn how best to do it in that editor.

hpeide

Apr 14, 2016, 3:36:51 PM4/14/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
IntelliJ IDEA. Used to use PhpStorm but do some actionscript and haxe once in awhile so it's cheaper to just use IDEA. It works the same way, drop an folder on the menu icon and you are going.

Shea Dawson

Apr 14, 2016, 4:50:32 PM4/14/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Atom.

Marcus Nyeholt

Apr 14, 2016, 9:24:00 PM4/14/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone given Visual Studio Code a reasonable try ?

Patrick Nelson

Apr 14, 2016, 9:53:37 PM4/14/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Quick question for Hans (hpeide): Do you get the same level of intelligent PHP support (type hinting, code inspection and all the goodies) with IntelliJ IDEA with the PHP plug-in as you would get with PhpStorm itself? Do you think you can possibly do the same with Ruby like RubyMine and etc?

Simon Erkelens

Apr 14, 2016, 11:17:40 PM4/14/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Yes, it works perfectly. The only difference is some key combinations are different, like CMD+N instead of CMD+O for opening a class.

Patrick Nelson

Apr 14, 2016, 11:20:09 PM4/14/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
That's interesting -- already use that on Windows anyway (CTRL+N that is).

David Alexander

Apr 15, 2016, 2:29:16 PM4/15/16

On Thursday, 14 April 2016 04:19:45 UTC-6, Gregory Smirnov wrote:

David, probably this plugin for Sublime Text could help you with evaluation/transition

https://github.com/grundprinzip/sublemacspro

Gregory

Thanks Gregory!...I'll give that a go :)

David Alexander

Apr 15, 2016, 2:42:40 PM4/15/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Thanks Loz, Nedmas...and thanks generally for all the comments from everyone :) All very much appreciated.

Generally speaking, I am quite surprised by the variety of opinions. I am wondering if it is due to the following hypothesis: people working on the back end tend to prefer things feature rich IDEs like PHPStorm, IntelliJ etc. while people working the front end tend to prefer lighter, faster tools like Sublime, Atom, Notepad++, TextPad, etc. Thoughts ?

I think I am going to simultaneously play with Atom, Sublime, PHPStorm. Then, if PHPStorm wins out, I'll take a closer look at IntelliJ.

I was hoping to hear from Damian, Ingo, and other SSers....remember, one word answers appreciated !

David Alexander

Apr 15, 2016, 7:26:30 PM4/15/16
to SilverStripe Core Development

Michael Ryan

Apr 15, 2016, 8:03:45 PM4/15/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Atom... Used to use sublime

James Pluck

Apr 17, 2016, 6:14:59 PM4/17/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
HI David,

I use to use TextPad a lot when I was writing Java.  Then I upgraded to Notepad++ and now for generic Text based editing I much prefer Sublime.  I use it as an adjunct to PHPStorm (I use storm on the dev VM in linux on a VirtualBox and Sublime in Windows in another screen - triple head development FTW! - with code snippets or allowing me to have an accompanying file for reference.

Kind regards

James Pluck

Cam Findlay

Apr 17, 2016, 11:25:50 PM4/17/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
PHPStorm when spending decent time on project work. If I'm just opening a file for tinkering I use Sublime.

Daniel Hensby

Apr 19, 2016, 7:46:36 AM4/19/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Long thread is long

I haven't read it all, but I use PHPStorm (as you mentioned).

I avoided it for a long time because the interface is very daunting and it has some really confusing features and project kick-off (that can be ignored).

Dan

Fred Condo

Apr 19, 2016, 12:03:07 PM4/19/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
FWIW, here's my kit. A quibble: I distinguish IDEs like Netbeans and Eclipse from text editors like BBEdit and Atom.

The only IDE I use is Netbeans (PHP edition). Because it (like other IDEs) knows the class hierarchy, it provides very good autocompletion when working on SilverStripe projects. Also, it's invaluable when I need to do stepwise debugging.

For basic editing, BBEdit, because I've had it since the dawn of time, and it works well as the system editor. For editing PHP outside of Netbeans, as well as for editing YAML, nginx configs, shell scripts, and the like, I use Atom, principally because it knows how to color more syntaxes than either Netbeans or BBEdit, and, in particular, it knows how to indent YAML better than does Netbeans. As well, Atom is smarter about delimiters than is BBEdit, such that it automatically out-dents when I type a closing } inPHP or fi to close a shell if. (I know this is rather expected behaviour in a modern editor, and it's a bit shocking that BBEdit has never learned this trick.)

Ingo Schommer

Apr 20, 2016, 7:15:12 AM4/20/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Making long thread longer for Dan! :D
PHPStorm for PHP work, because I need breakpoints (particularly handy for Behat work), strong syntax checkers and fast symbol lookup.
Used Sublime Text before that - love its git integration, great compromise between UI and keyboard.
Using Atom for all frontend dev now (great package ecosystem!), but holding out for better git integration.

David Alexander

Apr 20, 2016, 8:21:32 PM4/20/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ingo :)

Surprising that Atom hasn't made git central.

It looks like its time to give PHPStorm a serious go. I hope Emacs doesn't take this the wrong way :(

Michal Kleiner

Apr 20, 2016, 8:34:36 PM4/20/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
PHPStorm ;-)

Robbie Averill

Apr 20, 2016, 9:07:19 PM4/20/16
to SilverStripe Core Development, da...@spiritlevel.nz
David: Atom has made Git central, and it works well when you only have one Git repo in your project. However if you have folders underneath your project root that are their own Git repos then it won't work - e.g. SilverStripe modules installed via composer - they get ignored since they're in the main project gitignore.

There's an issue here for it: https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/2203

David Alexander

Apr 21, 2016, 2:30:10 AM4/21/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
That is good to know ! Thanks Robbie. Will watch out for that and hopefully the issue being resolved :)

Matthew Hailwood

Apr 22, 2016, 8:39:48 AM4/22/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
I also use PHPstorm and Sublime in the same fashion as most people on here.
This actually seems like a good place to ask - Does anyone know Java in the SS community?

The current plugin for PHPstorm has been abandoned but it has quite a few things that need to be fixed or could really be improved and given the number of users using PHPstorm it seems like a worthwhile investment.
If we could get a new maintainer for it that would be awesome or at least some new contributors.

David Alexander

Apr 22, 2016, 6:48:51 PM4/22/16
On 16-04-22 06:39 AM, Matthew Hailwood wrote:
I also use PHPstorm and Sublime in the same fashion as most people on here.
This actually seems like a good place to ask - Does anyone know Java in the SS community?

The current plugin for PHPstorm has been abandoned but it has quite a few things that need to be fixed or could really be improved and given the number of users using PHPstorm it seems like a worthwhile investment.
If we could get a new maintainer for it that would be awesome or at least some new contributors.

Thanks Matthew...

Although a touch more expensive, wouldn't getting  IntelliJ IDEA be a better way to be able to work in Java and have PHPStorm-like features for web work ?

I am toying with the idea of IntelliJ as an alternative to PHPStorm since I like to play in Java, especially with concurrency, but also want PHP support.

Matthew Hailwood

Apr 23, 2016, 6:18:30 PM4/23/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hey David,

I probably didn't explain myself well.
I don't want to work in Java - The Phpstorm plugins are written in Java, so we need someone who knows Java to maintain the plugin.

I know enough to make the odd patchup but the lexer is a bit beyond me and that's where most of the updates are needed.

The source is available here https://github.com/raket/idea-silverstripe

You can actually work with Java using the free community edition of Idea so developing the plugins is free.

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

Apr 24, 2016, 4:47:09 PM4/24/16
to silverstripe-dev
I use Geany (https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/geany/)  - with some customisation (support for .ss files, etc...).  It is not perfect, but here is what I like:
  • great interface for search (and replace )
  • light
  • simple
  • fast
I also love using Meld.  Basically, before a commit, I check the diffs through Meld.

What would be really useful, from what I understand, is to have a list of all classes and methods in framework and cms to that they could be loaded into your editor as hints ...

e.g. you type

find_or_m

and the editor hints:

find_or_make($folderPath)

which you can then select with a tab.

I am sure some editors do that out of the box.

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken
  www.sunnysideup.co.nz
  phone: +64221697577

hpeide

Apr 25, 2016, 8:56:22 AM4/25/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hi. Yes it's pretty much the same. I don't think you have to install anyting to make php work, all I have done is to turn off som Java plugins which i don't need, and installed the SS plugin (it's awesome, great work!!).

Don't know about Ruby though since I don't do much of that. But is'nt IDEA the flagship of Intellij and supposed to support everything the more light weight versions do?

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

May 1, 2016, 9:36:36 PM5/1/16
to silverstripe-dev
Does anyone have some settings / config files for ATOM?

Ralph Slooten

May 2, 2016, 5:55:16 AM5/2/16
to silverstripe-dev
On 2 May 2016 at 13:36, Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up <nfra...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone have some settings / config files for ATOM?

I don't think there is really an answer to that Nic as it depends entirely on what modules you have installed (there are hundreds to choose from), and how you have configured each one. Atom works out-of-the-box, and is very configurable (depending on how much time you have). Feel free to contact me off-list and we can discuss as this probably isn't the right place for a lengthly Atom chat;-)

Fred Condo

May 2, 2016, 5:18:38 PM5/2/16
to SilverStripe Core Development, n...@sunnysideup.co.nz

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 6:36:36 PM UTC-7, nicolaas wrote:
Does anyone have some settings / config files for ATOM?

Essential for SilverStripe development in Atom:

Sam Minnée

May 2, 2016, 6:07:38 PM5/2/16
to SilverStripe Core Development, n...@sunnysideup.co.nz
Some rough counts (some of you got 2 votes)

PHPStorm 17
Sublime Text 7
Netbeans 5
Atom 5
Vim 2
IntelliJ 1
Dreamweaver 1
Emacs 1
TextPad 1
BBEdit 1
Geany 1

IMO, if we want to give people guidance on how to set up your dev environment to contribute to SilverStripe, the first 4 would be good. I've raised a ticket to this effect here:

David Alexander

May 2, 2016, 7:51:52 PM5/2/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew....

Ah, OK.

This quite interests me as a way of keeping my hard won Java up and as a way of becoming really familiar with customising PHPStorm via plugins...Also, I could use the community version of IDEA in this work to see how it compares to PHPStorm; I like the idea (no pun intended) of using one IDE for both PHP and Java, and IDEA seems a natural choice.

So, I'm definitely interested but need to first play with PHPStorm and the plugins to orient myself. And, time being the scarce commodity that it is, I can't see getting into this immediately. In a couple of months, perhaps ? I'll bookmark this to keep it alive in my mind....Feel free to gently pressure me if I haven't made a start on this after a couple of months. :)

Cheerio,

David.

Matthew Hailwood

May 4, 2016, 7:01:54 AM5/4/16
to SilverStripe Core Development, da...@spiritlevel.nz
Hey David,

Sounds good to me - I actually started working on rewriting the plugin myself (https://github.com/webfox/idea-silverstripe) so it's probably a decent place to start when/if you get a chance as I've worked out a lot of the errors introduced overtime with no maintenance.
But whatever takes your fancy.

Marcus Dalgren

May 4, 2016, 9:00:34 AM5/4/16
to SilverStripe Core Development, da...@spiritlevel.nz
Hi Matthew/David/everyone else.

My name is Marcus and I'm the developer of the original idea-silverstripe plugin.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but since the idea-silverstripe plugin has come up I'm wondering if any of you would be interested of taking over ownership of the project?
I've been meaning to get back to it several times but the truth is I don't really have the time for it anymore and it's been quite some time since I worked in a SilverStripe project.
I'm willing to hand over the keys to the castle or accept pull requests if anyone has a working version for newer versions of PHPStorm.

James Pluck

May 4, 2016, 11:49:48 PM5/4/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
datapoint - I'm using the plugin version 0.9.1.1 with PHPStorm 2016.1

So far I've not noticed any issues.

Kind regards

James Pluck

Michael van Schaik

May 20, 2016, 3:16:13 AM5/20/16
to silverstripe-d.
I've recently switched from NetBeans to PhpStorm, which works well for silverstripe development. Only thing missing is code completion for objects intantiated via the ::create() method, but NetBeans doesn't support that (well) either.

I have not run into major issues using the idea-silverstripe plugin other than a mention of an internal error occasionally.

Maybe worth mentioning that I switched away from NetBeans because project scanning tends to get out of control (100% CPU) or simply get stuck for projects using node_modules (which may contain into tens of thousands of files). PhpStorm seems to manage this better and even allows excluding these directories from being indexed altogether.

Another nice thing about PhpStorm is that it can take care of watching eg sass files and recompile them, so you don't have to manually start up watch processes for modules etc.

off...@netwerkstatt.at

May 20, 2016, 3:36:05 AM5/20/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

Hi Micheal,

yes, this missing auto completion is a major pain. It seems that the ss plugin causes this:

https://github.com/raket/idea-silverstripe/issues/66

Cheers,

Werner

Michael van Schaik

May 20, 2016, 4:35:51 AM5/20/16
to silverstripe-d.
Ah, so I DID run into major issues with the idea-silverstripe plugin :D

David Alexander

May 20, 2016, 5:09:09 AM5/20/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael, and everyone else who has responded recently.

Well, I am struggling to appreciate the PHPStorm editor. It feels very limited. Of course, there are lots of development features with the IDE in general, which are great, but the editor itself leaves me feeling a bit sorry I left my first wife; it was a long and good marriage. Now, trying to learn to operate in the PHPStorm editor, I have noticed that my already quite low productivity has dropped to just above zero, so I now feel much more sympathy for Loz and Sam who stated that they were too old to learn a new editor :( It is REALLY REALLY HARD to stop using all those key strokes you are used to AND to adopt new ones. Of course, I have tried to set up a keymap to ease the pain but things just "feel" different and I can't set up a keymap to match old habits exactly.

This leads to a question: Ctrl+D in the default keymap duplicates a line or selection. I'd like to map this to plain old delete so I can use Ctrl+D to delete the character the caret is currently over; this is an emacs habit I have that is really hard to drop and, as a result, I am putting reams and reams of duplicate lines all over the place whenever I edit a file! The problem is that I cannot find a PHPStorm editor action "delete character". Why do I want this instead of the usual Del button ? Well, to delete a character in the PHPStorm editor, I have to move my hand alllllllll the way up to the Del button and I prefer to keep my hands squarely over the "F" and "J" buttons, putting Ctrl+D easily within reach. Picky, I know. Anyhow, if someone knows how to map Ctrl+D to a delete character action, I'll buy you a beer or whiskey (or your favorite beverage)! I might experiment with setting up a macro to do what I want but this seem over the top. I do like the duplicate line/selection action and have mapped it to something else.

Lastly, if you can be bothered, I'd be keen to see some PHPStorm keymap files you have set up. There seems to be quite an art to choosing a keyboard mapping scheme based on frequency of use, logical category of editor action, length of fingers, and, I suppose even keyboard layout. Please include finger length for statistical purposes :P

Thanks in advance,

David.

Anselm Christophersen

May 20, 2016, 5:38:32 AM5/20/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Wow, and I didn’t think this even worked at all (probably because I used that plugin all the time).
It’s really a shame the module is no more maintained. I guess no-one has felt like picking up the development of it so far, as it always just worked.
If anybody feels like picking it up, make sure to add it to https://www.bountysource.com - I’d be happy to pledge some money for issues like that one.

David Alexander

May 20, 2016, 6:59:38 PM5/20/16
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I missed the obvious (again)...the keymap editor allows you to lookup both by editor action (with a text field) AND by keyboard shortcut (using the icon just to the right of the text field). No free beer or whiskey this time, but other opportunities are bound to arise. It is slightly strange that editing actions are sometimes located under the "Main menu" item instead of the "Editor Actions" item in the keymap editor. I guess Czechs things differently :P

Just played with breakpoints yesterday; sooo nice to have these for easily getting into the execution logic.

Another nice thing about PhpStorm is that it can take care of watching eg sass files and recompile them, so you don't have to manually start up watch processes for modules etc.

Yes, Michael! I got this going a couple of weeks ago. Very nice :) I had that in emacs too and really appreciated it there too.

I have the silverstripe template parser PHPStorm plugin installed but have not yet noticed the auto completion problem. I also had a scan over the Java code; there is a fair amount to pick through! This has gone onto the "slowly pick away at" list.

Question to all: would it be useful to start a PHPStorm thread for tips and tricks on using/configuring this beast ? It wouldn't be particularly SS orientated but I thought it might be useful since it is the tool of choice for SSers.

David Alexander

Jul 1, 2016, 12:05:03 AM7/1/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Well, I ended up buying PHPStorm for a year and am loving it. :) When I start doing more Java, I may upgrade to IntelliJ.

I got over myself with the editor issue: I spent a day carefully defining a keymap that I like, and which improves on what I had with emacs, and then about 4-5 days of only slightly painful adjustment to the new key bindings. Also, after a week of working with the interface, I find it really isn't all that complicated; you just have to ignore the initial visual shock.

There are a few IDE features I need to learn how to use more effectively but, overall, PHPStorm is my new friend. Old dogs can, in fact, learn new tricks!

Many here use PHPStorm for project work and then drop into something else, like Sublime, for quick edits. I found myself naturally going to emacs. This seems to suit me fine for the time being. When I feel like engaging in a little more masochism-based-neuroplasticity-enhancement, I'll replace quick edits in emacs with quick edits in Sublime.

Thanks again to all for their input on this topic.