timing out

Arbee

Aug 5, 2017, 2:58:19 PM8/5/17
to SilverStripe Core Development
I'm hoping this is ok to ask here. I'm using SS 3.6 and have a login area for frontend users on my website. They are getting timed out too soon while idle. With the nature of my website, they can be idle for an hour or more but don't want to be automatically logged out. How or where can I change that length of time? I am using the forum module so not sure if it is something in there. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Colin Burns

Aug 5, 2017, 3:05:12 PM8/5/17
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
If you don't want the user to logout you could create a method that just returns a boolean true value.

Then create a small js script that makes an AJAX call to this function every 30 minutes or so which will keep the users session alive.

So add this to one of your Controllers (example Page.php - although you might want to add it to your password protected page)

Remember to set private static $allowed_actions = array ('ping');

    /**
     * Keep the session alive for the user.
     *
     * @return int
     */
    public function ping() {
        return 1;
    }

Then in your JS - I am using jQuery

    /*************
     * JS to keep the session alive
     */
    setInterval(function() {
        // Ping every 3 mins.
        $.ajax({url: "/<your page name>/ping"});
    }, 180*1000); // Run this every 3 minutes

Cheers,
Colin

Colin Burns
Canada: +1-250-899-1204
Australia: +61 7 3102 4334
Twitter: @ccburns
Email: ccb...@gmail.com

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Arbee <ru...@arbeedesigns.com> wrote:
I'm hoping this is ok to ask here. I'm using SS 3.6 and have a login area for frontend users on my website. They are getting timed out too soon while idle. With the nature of my website, they can be idle for an hour or more but don't want to be automatically logged out. How or where can I change that length of time? I am using the forum module so not sure if it is something in there. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Tony Air

Aug 5, 2017, 3:07:09 PM8/5/17
to SilverStripe Core Development
Just ping to /Security/ping - no need to create new method or Controller
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to silverstripe-d...@googlegroups.com.

Colin Burns

Aug 5, 2017, 3:08:07 PM8/5/17
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Oh cool - thanks I didn't know that :)

Cheers,
Colin

Colin Burns
Canada: +1-250-899-1204
Australia: +61 7 3102 4334
Twitter: @ccburns
Email: ccb...@gmail.com

Arbee

Aug 5, 2017, 4:38:11 PM8/5/17
to SilverStripe Core Development
Oh that's very cool guys. Thanks so much for the help!