Silverstripe 3 doesn't work on MAMP

dospuntocero

Jun 23, 2012, 10:36:06 AM6/23/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, i have been working with MAMP over my development years of and seems to be a really good and easy to configure solution for Mac users, but the new silverstripe 3 hangs badly when you try to save a data object with a date on it or a data object with a picture attached, or when you try to change your user settings... i don't have any idea on how can i fix this, since I'm still trying to figure out why it happens. maybe I'm the only one that uses mamp...  do you guys have tried it?

i think this is really bad, since i believe that MAMP is the best solution out there for non geeks trying to develop websites on a mac without using weird stuff like Ports and you also have a video showing how easy is to install silverstripe on mamp and start working...

Dan Rye

Jun 23, 2012, 12:23:51 PM6/23/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I'm using MAMP, with beta 2 I had no issues.  I'll try the release candidate and let you know if I see anything.  I have RC installed, but haven't noticed any issues, however I havn't been paying close attention to these areas.

I do have MAMP pro.  But that shouldn't make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 23, 2012, at 10:36 AM, dospuntocero <francisc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey guys, i have been working with MAMP over my development years of and seems to be a really good and easy to configure solution for Mac users, but the new silverstripe 3 hangs badly when you try to save a data object with a date on it or a data object with a picture attached, or when you try to change your user settings... i don't have any idea on how can i fix this, since I'm still trying to figure out why it happens. maybe I'm the only one that uses mamp...  do you guys have tried it?

i think this is really bad, since i believe that MAMP is the best solution out there for non geeks trying to develop websites on a mac without using weird stuff like Ports and you also have a video showing how easy is to install silverstripe on mamp and start working...

Ingo Schommer

Jun 25, 2012, 9:56:01 AM6/25/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dan, Francisco, just to follow up: The discussion continues on the bugtracker, see http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/7498 Still a mystery to me…

dospuntocero

Sam Minnée

Jun 25, 2012, 8:53:23 PM6/25/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
OK, so it looks like what's happened here is that the code we had to increase the memory limit stopped working.

Can you confirm that if you increase your memory_limit to 64M in php.ini (and restart Apache) that it works?

I've fixed this issue here - https://github.com/silverstripe/sapphire/commit/6ef4f9ad3fafb3ecce93bf6f49270cf6960ce597 - does this need to be an RC3 or can we leave it until 3.0.1?

Jeremy Thomerson

Jun 25, 2012, 11:21:30 PM6/25/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Out of curiosity - why is that code now trANSLATE_MEMSTRING?  Looks like a keyboard shortcut gone awry.

Jeremy

Sam Minnée

Jun 26, 2012, 10:40:40 PM6/26/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I believe that we have fixed this in RC3 -- could you try it out?

dospuntocero

Jun 27, 2012, 11:15:25 AM6/27/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
The problem wasn't the amount of memory, was a bug on mamp php 5.3.6 iconv_strpos()

people using mamp can download http://downloads.mamp.info/MAMP-PRO/releases/2.0/PHP_5.3.5.zip and use that version of php instead of the one that comes out of the box until they fix mamp

just download the file and put the unzipped folder inside your MAMP's PHP folder (MAMP/bin/PHP/)

Sam Minnée

Jun 27, 2012, 6:07:42 PM6/27/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for identifying this.  It looks like there is more detail here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5400154/iconv-strlen-function-causing-execution-timeout-running-on-mamp

We still have the issue that MAMP is very popular.  It was fixed in MAMP 2.0.2, according to that link.  It would be nice if we could warn people that MAMP 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 are broken.

Dospuntocero, what version of MAMP are you running?

PS: is that "2.0" in Spanish?  Might have to change your handle to Trespuntocero pretty soon ;-)

Sam Minnée

Jun 27, 2012, 6:08:47 PM6/27/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com, jer...@thomersonfamily.com
:-$

dospuntocero

Jun 28, 2012, 1:21:14 PM6/28/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com, jer...@thomersonfamily.com
now I'm working with 2.0.5 and the issue is gone. so if any MAMP user updates its version it should work.
I searched for any information about mamp in the environment and classes, but mamp doesn't advice which version is the one you're running.

Dan Rye

Jun 28, 2012, 1:52:38 PM6/28/12
to silverst...@googlegroups.com, jer...@thomersonfamily.com
I use MAMP Pro, but it does have an about dialog with the current version.  It's in the normal apple location "MAMP PRO" menu -> "About"