Translations in 3.1.11

off...@netwerkstatt.at

Mar 9, 2015, 2:47:00 AM3/9/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

could you please ensure all translations are updated in 3.1.11?

I still see German translations are 10 months old, just .lt and .sv got updated some hours ago.

https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-framework/tree/3.1/lang

Cheers,

Werner

Elvinas Liutkevičius

Mar 9, 2015, 11:13:09 AM3/9/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
A don't forget about silverstripe-framework/admin/javascript/lang too please!

Damian Mooyman

Mar 9, 2015, 4:25:24 PM3/9/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elvinas and Werner, thanks for double checking our work here.

I've investigated and found that indeed we did have an error updating the admin/javascript languages. These have been fixed and updated with https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-framework/commit/636784845e69c60b4ab8ad6e1d2d528806585f01 and will be included in the final release of 3.1.11.

However, there seems to have been no German changes in the source files (on transifex) for several months, so I do not expect that there would be any changes in the framework for those locales until there are updates to synchronise with. For reference, you can view the translations for the DE locale at https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/silverstripe-cms/language/de/ and https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/silverstripe-framework/language/de/

If you see any updated translation strings you would expect to see in the release, but aren't, please point them out to me so I can investigate.

Kind regards,

Damian Mooyman

off...@netwerkstatt.at

Mar 9, 2015, 5:15:37 PM3/9/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

Hi Damian,

as I noted after the last release on Feb 23rd (see https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/silverstripe-dev/TwHdMTxN5MQ ) the transifex status for German shows 100% but there are several strings not translated, e.g. Boolean.YESANSWER and Boolean.NOANSWER.

https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-framework/blob/3.1/lang/de.yml#L61

https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-framework/blob/3.1/lang/en.yml#L61

But… those YESANSWER and NOANSWER are not on transifex…

https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/silverstripe-framework/viewstrings/#en/master/15329064?key=boolean

How often are the English source files updated? Or don’t they change that often? However, it seems they’re outdated…

Most confusion was (as kingkozzer stated) about the date (August / May) and that I saw “German 100%” but some strings untranslated. Maybe the master upload to transifex is broken, not the sync back?

I just translated the last two untranslated strings for cms, now it should update for at least German ;)

Cheers,

Werner

Damian Mooyman

Mar 9, 2015, 6:07:52 PM3/9/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I think I've verified that there is indeed an issue, although I've been unable to fix the problem.

It seems that somehow certain master strings were removed from transifex, which would have removed that key and all translations for those keys from each locale. I believe the items in question (boolean.yesanswer, etc) were among those lost keys.

I've now re-synchronised the keys with the master branches of framework and cms, and I can see that some new keys have been added.

However, for whatever reason, I can't seem to translate the BOOLEAN.YESANSWER or BOOLEAN.NOANSWER keys. If you download the source (en.yml) from transifex, then they indeed are present in the source file, but are completely invisible via the translation interface. Perhaps this is related to the issue you noticed?

I'll see if I can contact transifex to get some support on this.

Kind regards,

Damian

Damian Mooyman

Mar 9, 2015, 6:16:14 PM3/9/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I've contacted transifex over the noted issues.

Hopefully we can resolve this very annoying issue before the end of the RC cycle. :) I hope we can have a 3.1.11 with the fixed translations available.

Our apologies for the issues this has caused.

Kind regards,

Damian

Damian Mooyman

Mar 9, 2015, 6:29:06 PM3/9/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
An open source issue has been created at https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-framework/issues/3992 to track this issue.

Damian Mooyman

Mar 9, 2015, 9:44:59 PM3/9/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Good news, we found the solution.

The issue is a mis-match of yaml specification formats. Transifex relies on us sending 1.1 spec masters, which has now been updated.

I've fixed up the german dataset in transifex, and I'll try to make sure that 3.1.11 final goes live with the full set of translations. In the mean time, if anyone feels like reviewing other locales they have until Friday (NZ time) to have their fixes in the final release.

Kind regards,

Damian

Elvinas Liutkevičius

Mar 10, 2015, 4:48:55 AM3/10/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I've found two more entries that are missing in master: CMSSIteTreeFilter_PublishedPages.Title and Member.db_FailedLoginCount
Also please look at this pull request: https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-cms/pull/1154. It fixes one button that cannot be translated.

Damian Mooyman

Mar 10, 2015, 5:51:52 AM3/10/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for that. I've merged the PR and will investigate those other strings tomorrow.

Kind regards

Damian

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SilverStripe Core Development" group.

Elvinas Liutkevičius

May 14, 2015, 3:56:34 AM5/14/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Damian can you please update cms/javascript/lang/en.js on transifex? You merged my PR but I cannot translate that entity on transifex.
And how about those two entities that I mentioned?

Elvinas Liutkevičius

Nov 11, 2015, 4:28:46 AM11/11/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting this old topic, but since then there is one annoying thing.
Every time the master is updated in transifex I have to reenter translation for some strings in framework and cms that was already translated. E.g. I've translated HtmlEditorField.IMAGEALTTEXT about 5 times... :)
Why does it happen?

off...@netwerkstatt.at

Nov 11, 2015, 4:33:52 AM11/11/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

I noticed this today also. Seems not only English master is updated somehow?

Damian Mooyman

Nov 16, 2015, 3:41:01 PM11/16/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
I've noticed this too and have been trying to figure out exactly what's causing it.

It's possible that the issue is to do with the old translation and release process. This process had the risk that strings could be lost between different branches, where the `merge=1` flag on the i18nTextCollectorTask could be left out.

This should have been fixed with the new release process which has force-merge on all translation updates. The code for this script is at https://github.com/silverstripe/cow/blob/master/src/Steps/Release/UpdateTranslations.php in case anyone is curious. ;)

If this doesn't solve the issue, then it's possible that the issue is on the transifex end. Possibly changing the text of the master string clears out translations? It would look that way from https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-framework/commit/00caeb700dc0a291087b92f0499980e5cded0f4d

Kind regards,

Damian

off...@netwerkstatt.at

Nov 17, 2015, 1:43:01 AM11/17/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

Yup, seems to be the changed english phrases in the en.yml causing the existing translatins to disappear.

But… what is worse? We don’t notice a changed phrase (which would not happen when a really new phrase has another key) or re-translating the key (which is copy/paste from the history)

It’s annoying for simple typo fixes, but I guess we’ll have to live with it.

Damian, thanks for researching that issue, now it’s more clear to me.

Cheers,

Werner

Nov 17, 2015, 1:50:00 AM11/17/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

In cms we have a strange history sometimes… e.g.

CMSSiteTreeFilter_DeletedPages.Title

Was first  “All pages, including archived”,

then it was “…included deleted”,

now it’s “including archived” again…

Did you guys still not decide what phrase to choose or is this some automated update script chaos?

Cheers, Werner