urgent help required with list of modules

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

Oct 12, 2011, 1:02:47 AM10/12/11
to silverstripe-dev, silverstripe-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone

I have compiled a list of Silverstripe modules (FIRST VERY ROUGH DRAFT ONLY so I am sure there are plenty of misspellings, and other  $%^&* UPS)  ... :

Can you please give me a hand:

a. can you add / edit / check your entries?  If you want to delete an entry (e.g. module is obsolete) then do not delete it but rather just make a note that it is to be deleted in the "timestamp" column so that it does not get added again later.  --- Please edit by 8am Friday NZST or let me know if you need more time ---

b. can you add your email address if you want to be contacted (e.g. with feedback / request for work) about your module?

c. can you let me know how you want the "module api" to work (the api basically will provide access to the module list)
     - what type of output is best (e.g. YAML / XML / CSV / JSON / ????)
     - what type of access (e.g. through standard http  / curl / ????)

Any answers under c need to be super simple and achievable in a few hours coding ;-)

Thank you

Nicolaas

Will Rossiter

Oct 12, 2011, 1:17:03 AM10/12/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Would be good to also get a column for dependencies as this is going to be a rather important part of the API i.e (recaptcha requires the spam protection module) some of UncleCheese's upload files require other things... As SS gets bigger the dependancies will get larger.

c. - If you build the API on top of restful server you can get quite a bit of functionality out of the box :D (json, xml support, caching, RESTful interface).

How did you get that list? by hand? If you want I can dump the ss.org module information to csv if you wish.

--
Will Rossiter | Developer
SilverStripe

Phone: +64 4 978 7330
Skype: will.rossi

Level 5, 97-99 Courtenay Place
Wellington
New Zealand

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

Oct 12, 2011, 4:43:13 AM10/12/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will

Thank you for the reply.

On 12 October 2011 16:17, Will Rossiter <wi...@silverstripe.com> wrote:
Would be good to also get a column for dependencies as this is going to be a rather important part of the API i.e (recaptcha requires the spam protection module) some of UncleCheese's upload files require other things... As SS gets bigger the dependancies will get larger.

c. - If you build the API on top of restful server you can get quite a bit of functionality out of the box :D (json, xml support, caching, RESTful interface).

that sounds like a very good idea.

How did you get that list? by hand? If you want I can dump the ss.org module information to csv if you wish.

Got a friend to do it by hand (he does not know anything about coding - hence some stuf might seem a little out of place).  I would love  a csv from ss.org.

Cheers

Nicolaas

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

Oct 12, 2011, 4:45:05 AM10/12/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
One of the things I also want to include is a system to check if the module "code" has already been used... so we can avoid two modules with the same name.

matt clegg

Oct 12, 2011, 5:06:28 AM10/12/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the code to me is like the directory name when installing in the silver-stripe folder and should be unique -but doesn't have to be the same as the module name.

ie 'DataObject Manager' is dataobject_manager etc

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up <ma...@sunnysideup.co.nz> wrote:
One of the things I also want to include is a system to check if the module "code" has already been used... so we can avoid two modules with the same name.

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

Oct 12, 2011, 5:24:34 AM10/12/11
On 12 October 2011 20:06, matt clegg <cleg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, the code to me is like the directory name when installing in the silver-stripe folder and should be unique -but doesn't have to be the same as the module name.

ie 'DataObject Manager' is dataobject_manager etc

Hi Matt

Yes, exactly - sorry my explanation was not very clear..... Each module should have an "ID" and this "code" could be the ID?

matt clegg

Oct 12, 2011, 1:03:28 PM10/12/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

@Nicolass Thanks for letting me use your spreadsheet. Iv imported your spreadsheet into; http://ssmodulesandthemes.org/silverstripe-modules/

In general the site probably doesn't really need much work for it to be useable -In my opinion it just needs a rating system added (but I have already started on this), and better categorisation/search.

So, if anyone wants to contribute anything in the way of; up-vote/down-vote, or some reviews for modules, or some themes for the theme section, or some feedback, or anything else at all please let me know.

Matt Clegg

Will Rossiter

Oct 12, 2011, 6:22:14 PM10/12/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
A quick CSV export of the important information from addons on ss.org is  at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7801028/r39ef01/ss-org-modules-export-13-10-11.csv. Module file downloads are spilt over a bunch of locations in assets so those are just had the two main ones. If I had the time I'd script it via the ORM rather than a direct query to get the actual link.. but for now I hope it'll do.

I haven't bothered with getting the individual versions (simply just took trunk/master information).

This also does not include the ~10 unapproved ones (we're working on getting the moderation system fixed).

Cheers!

--
Will Rossiter | Developer
SilverStripe
http://silverstripe.com

Phone: +64 4 978 7330
Skype: will.rossi

Level 5, 97-99 Courtenay Place
Wellington
New Zealand

MarijnKampf

Oct 14, 2011, 2:56:21 AM10/14/11
to SilverStripe Core Development
I see loads of potential in http://ssmodulesandthemes.org/silverstripe-modules/,
on the site you mention that you want a Reddit style voting. I want to
use a voting system for another site of mine with Thumbs up / Thumbs
down style votes, before I start coding a generic voting module, is
there anyone already a module out there (a search in the Excel sheet
posted by Will didn't find anything)?

On Oct 12, 6:03 pm, matt clegg <cleggm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> @Nicolass Thanks for letting me use your spreadsheet. Iv imported your
> spreadsheet into;http://ssmodulesandthemes.org/silverstripe-modules/
>
> In general the site probably doesn't really need much work for it to be
> useable -In my opinion it just needs a rating system added (but I have
> already started on this), and better categorisation/search.
>
> So, if anyone wants to contribute anything in the way of; up-vote/down-vote,
> or some reviews for modules, or some themes for the theme section, or some
> feedback, or anything else at all please let me know.
>
> Matt Clegg
>
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up
>

> <m...@sunnysideup.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > On 12 October 2011 20:06, matt clegg <cleggm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Yes, the code to me is like the directory name when installing in
> >> the silver-stripe folder and should be unique -but doesn't have to be the
> >> same as the module name.
>
> >> ie 'DataObject Manager' is dataobject_manager etc
>
> > Hi Matt
>
> > Yes, exactly - sorry my explanation was not very clear..... Each module
> > should have an "ID" and this "code" could be the ID?
>
> > --
>
> **

matt clegg

Oct 14, 2011, 8:24:52 AM10/14/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marijn,

The closest thing I have seen is this; http://www.silverstripe.org/ssranking-module/

Feel free to fork from it and Il get it pulled onto the site

Matt

Marcus Nyeholt

Oct 14, 2011, 8:30:52 PM10/14/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
A while ago I started playing around with an automated module list generation thing that would automatically get a list of modules from github and stick them in a webpage. This would include pulling through certain bits of the readme, download links, checkout links etc, and would just need the author to include a specific keyword in the description (ssmodule or similar). One thing that frustrates me with the ss.org/modules site is the manual nature of managing the entries - I'd rather just have my github.com account and maintain stuff there, and have it automatically hooked in.

Cheers,

Marcus

Jeremy Shipman

Oct 14, 2011, 8:35:01 PM10/14/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I agree that the less needed to manage a module the better.
I think the idea of a YAML file per module is to help with that automation. It could even be used across several module sites in theory.

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

Oct 14, 2011, 9:50:26 PM10/14/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Ryan also wrote some code for pulling in "modules" from GitHub.  Is there anyone out there who can provide some "tested" code that pulls in github modules based on "author" or having "silverstripe" in the name then I would love to use that code to make my YAML/XML/JSON list more responsive.

Anyone?

Nicolaas

Jeremy Shipman

Oct 14, 2011, 10:15:18 PM10/14/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I've been thinking about how to rank/grade modules. This could be done
semi-automatically based on some given criteria. The idea is to
encourage quality coding, and also help people determine which modules
are worth considering.

Some example criteria:
- has test suite
- tests pass
- test coverage is close to 100%
- documented well
- uses perscribed README format
- sapphiredocs user/dev documentation

And perhaps some other useful stats (like ohloh.net provides):
- when module was last updated
- activity level
- lines of code
- "I use this module" (can help determine popularity)
- rss feeds
- related modules

Another thing I think we need to figure out is how to encourage
participation on modules. There are currently some modules that I'm sure
people have improved upon, but none of this code actually shows up on
the module page for others to take advantage of.
Also if the original maintainer abandons the module, we don't have a way
of getting someone else to take over it, or to see the improvements get
added in.

Perhaps the mainter(s) get a reminder email once a year, where they opt
to continue being the maintainer, otherwise they are automatically
disconnected from it, and others can opt to become the maintainer if
they like.

Thoughts?

matt clegg

Oct 15, 2011, 4:28:36 AM10/15/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
@Marcus & Nicolaas; Yes, this idea of querying modules from github has been done and tested earlier this week; http://ssmodulesandthemes.org/home/blog/loads-of-modules-imported-from-github/

@Jeremy; I like your idea of making it semi-automatically getting a ranking based on certain criteria. Il run a few tests with the current batch of modules and see how it looks.

Matt

Marcus Dalgren

Oct 15, 2011, 5:11:48 AM10/15/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I think we should be very careful about letting any kind of automated ranking system having too much sway about what grades a module gets.
The first and foremost thing I want to know about a module is "does it do what I want" and sadly all those kinds of automated tests never really tell you anything about how well a module fulfills its purpose.
The code quality, documentation etc. can be kickass without the module necessarily doing what it's supposed to do.

One way of going forward with automated ratings is to let every module have two ratings.
One comes from the automated system which ranks  the ever so elusive "code quality" or whatever we call it and one user ratings/reviews result.
I personally think that mixing the two is a really bad idea, espcially if user ratings only have a limited effect on the final rating.

Ingo Schommer

Nov 30, 2011, 7:19:52 PM11/30/11
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Just in case anybody's still working on the idea of a module repository and a way for a module to describe its metadata.
It looks like the PHP world is finally getting a simple and distributed package manager and platform with Packagist (http://packagist.org/about) and Composer (https://github.com/composer/composer).
They use a JSON notation to denote the module metadata: Most importantly dependencies, but also stuff like author and current version (+ git tags): http://packagist.org/about-composer
Haven't looked at the project enough to determine if its useful for us in terms of dependency management, but the metadata notation looks like a good start. Does anybody have experience with Composer?

Cam Findlay

Jan 11, 2014, 8:10:15 PM1/11/14
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Just revisiting this idea for a new mini project.

vikas srivastava

Jan 12, 2014, 11:11:01 AM1/12/14
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hello Cam !

+1 for http://knpbundles.com/about/faq-scoring  as we depend on many external sites for fetching data into our addons system we can reuse their data like github's star, packagist's no of install etc and take http://knpbundles.com/about/faq-scoring methods to next level.

cheers

Vikas Srivastava
Software Engineer | SilverStripers LTD

Skype: viky2130
twitter: @openbeesV

Shaun de Greeff

Jan 12, 2014, 11:26:15 AM1/12/14
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Another aspect to consider is the quality of the documentation. With users varying in skill level implementing/using a module can severely be affected by the quality of the documentation. You could have a well coded module, that does what it is supposed to, but because you don't know what the intent/function is due to poor documentation it hampers the use of the module.

Shaun