Supported versions and SS 3.0 end-of-life

Florian Thoma

Jun 5, 2016, 9:02:02 PM6/5/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hi,

A while ago I had a discussion with Matt Peel from SilverStripe about supported versions etc.

While we have seen an official end-of-life announcement for SS 2.4 (https://www.silverstripe.org/blog/silverstripe-2-4-end-of-life-announcement/), we haven't seen anything like it for SS 3.0.

https://docs.silverstripe.org/en/3.3/contributing/release_process/#supported-versions states that "Security fixes will be applied to the current master and the previous two major releases (e.g. 4.0, 3.2 and 3.1).". Since SS moved to semver in the middle of version numbers, this statement is not very clear. The previous two major releases would be 2.x and 3.x in semver, whereas in SS it actually means something like ~3.2 (semver) and 3.1 (non-semver).

When was 3.0's end-of-life actually declared? Or when "did it happen"? I think it would have been good to officially retire that version, especially since it didn't follow semver yet. The same applies to 3.1 once it's time for it to go.

Also, could something like https://partner.silverstripe.com.au/project-roadmaps/2015/04/15/silverstripe-cms/ or http://php.net/supported-versions.php be added to the website to make the transition form the old versioning schema to semver clearer?

Thanks.

Flo

Ingo Schommer

Jun 24, 2016, 6:15:15 AM6/24/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hey Florian, sorry for the radio silence on this - we've been discussing a more defined (and predictable) release support policy with the core committers group for the last few weeks, please watch out for an announcement about this on the mailinglist soon.

Florian Thoma

Jun 26, 2016, 7:32:06 PM6/26/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Thanks Ingo.