RFC: Remove the very old BBCodeParser in favour of Golanka/BBCodeParser

Simon Erkelens

May 17, 2016, 4:16:32 AM5/17/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
The BBCodeParser as it's currently in the core, is making me twitch. It's from 2007, a lot of legacy and unmaintained.
I would like to see this replaced with a more maintained external module. There are a few, the one most used is Golanka's module, which seems to be stable and doesn't need much updates.
A few quick-and-dirty testing shows it seems to work and handle all BBCodes fine.

Jonathon Menz

May 17, 2016, 12:01:55 PM5/17/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
Do we need a BBCodeParser in core? Seems like something that should be a dependency of the forum or comments module, assuming BBCode is still relevant in a MarkDown world :)

Sam Minnée

May 17, 2016, 1:18:11 PM5/17/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
The BBCode parser was there for the benefit of the forum module; it should be removed from core and the forum module updated to use an external dependency.

I'd be more relaxed about removing the functionality from code after forum has this refactoring made, if you wanted to do that, Simon?
Sam Minnée
CEO
SilverStripe Limited

Simon Erkelens

May 18, 2016, 12:26:04 AM5/18/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
That actually makes sense. Because I was wondering where it was actually used.

Would mean the Parse method can be removed from core DBText as well, moved to a Forum or Comment DBText Extension?

Well see when forum is fixed on this, then move it out I guess.

Sam Minnée

May 18, 2016, 1:37:28 AM5/18/16
to SilverStripe Core Development
I would probably do subclassing rather than extensions: DBBBCodeText extends DBText (inside forum is fine) and then use that field type in the forum DataObjects.

It keeps the clutter out of DBText fields used elsewhere in the system.