PHP7 Compatability

Zenmonkey

Dec 17, 2015, 10:48:37 AM12/17/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
I'm wondring if there will be any effort to make SS4 compatable with PHP7?

Now that seven is out I'm sure you've noticed that SilverStripe won't run on it since it uses some reserverd words for classes and functions, Decimal::int() for one.

Patrick Nelson

Dec 17, 2015, 11:04:14 AM12/17/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Zen Monkey,

Actually I believe there already is some initiative for it. Sam Minnee recently (well, back in August apparently) made mention of it in a thread about the migration over to namespaces (since there might have been some overlap) here:

For the lazy, this is what he said:

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 2:42 AM, Sam Minnée <s...@silverstripe.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

The last few days I've been working on PHP7 support for SilverStripe 4 - https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-framework/pull/4551. Because this involved renaming DBField subclasses, I'm wanting to put them into their namespaces.

So, I've pulled my thinking into an RFC about namespacing. It doesn't cover all the details; it's intended to be more like a high level guideline to use as a starting point when we start addressing namespaces on a subsystem-by-subsystem basis:

Feedback welcome!

Thanks,
Sam

Hope this helps.

- Patrick

Hamish Friedlander

Dec 17, 2015, 4:31:39 PM12/17/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zenmonkey,

Yes, we definitely want SilverStripe 4 to work with PHP 7.

Unfortunately we can't add PHP 7 support to SilverStripe 3 in a backwards compatible way (at least without the sort of monstrous dynamic rewriting hack that I find appealing in a sort of masochistic way and everyone else yells at me every time I bring up because they aren't crazy). And we wouldn't want to wait for SilverStripe 5 to have PHP 7 support.

Hamish Friedlander

Sam Minnée

Dec 17, 2015, 7:33:24 PM12/17/15
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

My PR here includes the work needed to make SS4 PHP7 compatible. Unfortunately it needs a rebase. I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Sam