Where to discuss what

Jonathon Menz

Oct 6, 2015, 10:54:21 PM10/6/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
Anyone else get confused about where the right place is to go to discuss/report things? There is some info here: http://www.silverstripe.org/community/contributing-to-silverstripe/ but I think it's a bit hard to find if you don't know where to look. Wondering if we could compile a simple list and put it in a few places, such as in contributing.md files so people can see it when submitting new issues, and maybe a sticky post on the forums and here?
Anything missing? Are the labels appropriate? In particular I thought it could be useful to clarify that UserVoice is for asking other people to build stuff (which might be a slow process or go nowhere) but if you're willing to do the work yourself you can probably skip UserVoice and come here. Is that accurate?

Daniel Hensby

Oct 7, 2015, 5:13:59 AM10/7/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
Something like that would be very useful, I think.

Open a PR for it?

swaiba

Oct 7, 2015, 11:02:39 AM10/7/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
I'd bump ask for help earlier if not sure.. I normally ask on IRC first (or to Loz basically) what he would suggest, multiple times the answer is that it has been discussed / in this pull request / etc

I find the uservoice a bit frustrating as I'd fit in the category of a non-code-contributor - there isn't a notification when someone does update / comment on your item.

Jonathon Menz

Oct 7, 2015, 12:41:23 PM10/7/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
Yeah I find UserVoice frustrating too. I think you can subscribe to updates on individual threads there now, but you can't get notified when new threads are created, which creates a visibility problem. I can see the need for having a separate place to request features rather than discuss how to implement them, but I hope we find a better space for that one day :)

Cam Findlay

Oct 27, 2015, 4:16:31 PM10/27/15
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hey Jono, I might look to add this information to a few places:

In the welcome screen after someone signs up for forums (and the email they get welcoming them so they have it for reference) and as you say a sticky in forums is a good idea.

Will add to my todo list.

Jonathon Menz