When the Play's the Thing

1 view

Wendy Spurgeon

Apr 6, 2018, 3:27:45 PM4/6/18
to silver-...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,  I'm just coming down from a very meaningful Easter.  I was Producer, and Mary Magdalene, in an adaptation of Jesus Christ Superstar over Holy Week.  April 1st marked our final Easter performance, and the exit of my contract with Silver City United Church of Christ.  I will remain on the board as a volunteer, but I am no longer responsible for planning and implementing weekly worship services.

It was September of 2015 when I finally stopped resisting the voice that was calling me to Silver City.  I didn't know anyone there, there was no job waiting, no reason at all to comply...but the call was consistent and wouldn't let me be. "You need to go to Silver City.  You need to go to that UCC church."  I resisted for months, but then one day I had no more excuses.  So I went.

Inside the Woman's Club a small circle of chairs were arranged and I was greeted with surprise and welcome.  We sat in circle and participated in an interactive and engaging worship service and conversation.  At the end, the new pastor I had just met an hour earlier, Tyler Connoley, announced his resignation.  Strangely, I wasn't surprised or fearful.  I heard the thought, "Maybe I'm here to be a part of the transition."

Long story short, I immediately became their representative for the Innovation Laboratory to the Southwest Conference of UCC in Phoenix, AZ and before long I began traveling there on a near monthly basis to serve on the Executive Board, the Mission and Church Vitality Committee. This has led to the opportunity of stepping into the National UCC/SWCUCC position of New Mexico 3 Great Loves Coordinator.  Silver City UCC eventually hired me as their Events Director, and Service Coordinator.  I began to receive invitations to lead workshops and speak at non-profit organizations in town.  I hosted women's coaching circles, community meals, and directed staged readings.

In spite of our loving work, our membership has steadily dwindled, and we no longer have enough members to sustain as a weekly worship service church, and honestly I've been scared.... but a new ministry is emerging.  The success of the Jesus Christ Superstar Project has opened our eyes.  The community came out in droves, as if thirsty for spiritual connection through music and storytelling.  We traveled our small troupe to 3 different venues for performances on Palm Sunday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday.  Many came to see it 2 or 3 times, bringing friends and family with them to experience this event.

Silver City United Church of Christ is moving into a new way of truth, and a new way of being church in the world. We are becoming more and more ecumenical, "playing" with our brothers and sisters at 1st Presbyterian, New Church of the Southwest Desert, Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, and Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, to serve our community.  As I step away from the old way of being, I am finding exquisite support to emerge into the performing arts minister that I was called here to be.

The moral of the story is: Play with your Life.  Allow your imagination and creativity to guide you. Try on new roles you've never considered.  Follow your Call.  Even if it doesn't make any sense to you.  Even if you're scared out of your mind.  When you say yes, and show up in service in whatever ways you are able, something beyond reason happens.  Doors open, relationships form, paid work opportunities come knocking, and the very best of your creativity and focus blossom.  Just say yes. Show up. Bless and be blessed.

--
Wendy Spurgeon
Spiritual Life Coach and Transformation Director

Silver City United Church of Christ
Church Office (575)519-4103

Home Office (575)654-7523

Suzanne Thompson

Apr 6, 2018, 6:58:34 PM4/6/18
to silver-...@googlegroups.com

Blessings on the opening of your future, Wendy!

Sudzy