Re: Uber is coming to Sydney - and hiring!

Rod Clarke

Sep 28, 2012, 7:43:12 PM9/28/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for bringing Uber to Sydney - I'll be your first customer - customers and dudes with S Classes desperately need this service. well done guys!

On Friday, 28 September 2012 09:50:34 UTC+10, David Rohrsheim wrote:
Hey Sydney,

It's official, @Uber_Sydney is going to be the first city in Asia to get the Uber ride experience!

We can't wait to get everybody here signed up and taking test trips during our secret Uber phase. We'll be hosting drinks very soon to help spread the word.

Today I'm asking the Silicon Beach community for help with recruiting. I *know* there are a few folks here who would be excited to work for one of the hottest startups in Silicon Valley right now. Employees here in Sydney will have the experience of launching a new business in a new region while earning a salary & equity options. We have the freedom to build the Uber that Australia wants, but, you will travel to HQ in San Francisco and you will be part of a hilarious global Skype chat room.

Job postings can be found at uber.com/jobs or below. You can apply online or just e-mail me directly.

Cheers,

David

Operations Manager
https://hire.jobvite.com/j/?cj=o7jIWfwO&s=Rohrsheim
* 2-4 years of work experience with data-driven analysis and decision making.
* Sound business judgment and a solid understanding of a variety of business models.
* University degree is preferred, but we're more interested in hearing what you've done.
* Relevant experience in logistics or operations a plus - this is a 'real-world' company, not a Facebook game.
* Manage a large team of contractors, most of whom are significantly older than you.
* 'Can-do' startup attitude.

Community Manager
https://hire.jobvite.com/j/?cj=ojjIWfw0&s=Rohrsheim
* A huge personality who can spread the word about our amazing service.
* Ability to network through multiple communities and form business relationships and partnerships.
* Strong online presence and experience with social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
* Solid writing background; you enjoy blogging and/or editing.
* Customer support experience a plus - you are calm under pressure.
* You know what's fun in Sydney and you are an influencer amongst your friends.

Michael Ridland

Sep 28, 2012, 9:15:01 PM9/28/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, can I just ask hasn't this problem already been solved? It's called a taxi.

Shaon Diwakar

Sep 29, 2012, 7:13:45 AM9/29/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Since demand exists for Uber's services, taxis are clearly *not* an
effective solution to the problem Uber solves.

--
Shaon Diwakar
About me: http://about.me/shaond

Matthew Ho

Sep 29, 2012, 8:06:02 AM9/29/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
It's a private car service. They started with Lincoln town cars and are expanding to other vechices like BMWs, SUV's. I've used it in the US and its an upmarket service. the driver comes in a suit and a nice car, comes immediately and costs like 2x regular fare. I took 4 rides and usually came in about 10 - 20mins.

there's a bit of competition in this space like Hailo in UK and even locally you have gocatch (but focused on taxis).

I agree with the other post about demand existing. The issue seems to be more on the supply side - getting enough cars and drivers. It's a logistics problem they need to solve.

There's some interesting innovation happening in this space with city ride sharing services like Lyft and Sidecar as well. Watching an interview with the Uber CEO, they may go down this path to get more cars on the service.

Cheers,

Matt Ho
@inspiredworlds

Alan Jones

@pc0

Oct 24, 2012, 9:42:32 PM10/24/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Alan you should do a profile on goCatch the local uber competitor that is absolutely kicking A***. It is no fluke they setup across the road from fishburners where gocatch are based.

Cheers, Pete. (@pc0)

Ben Sand

Oct 24, 2012, 9:49:12 PM10/24/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hell Yes!

silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

Alan Jones

Oct 24, 2012, 10:32:39 PM10/24/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I'm a user of both goCatch and ingogo, would be great to profile either or both.