Re: [SiliconBeach] Need a new nickname to replace "Silicon Beach"

Jason Brown

Oct 5, 2012, 8:11:37 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Silicon Harbour?

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Matto Rochford <ma...@mattorochford.com> wrote:
Folks, I wish it were otherwise, but "Silicon Beach" is not going to happen.

LA is sometimes referred to as Silicon Beach and now this Reuters article:

Rio bets it can be Brazil's 'Silicon Beach'

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/business-it/rio-bets-it-can-be-brazils-silicon-beach-20121005-273ei.html

In a three-way tussle with LA and Rio to be rightfully and universally known as Silicon Beach, Sydney and/or Australia will not win.

So it's time for something else like Silicon Gully or [Whatever] Valley or something else that alludes to Silicon Valley but with an internationally recognised Australian/Sydney flavour.

Again, I wish it were otherwise.

silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

Jason Brown
e+msn: stopthat...@gmail.com
skype: stopthatastronaut
m: 0405 130 409
web: http://skepticator.com/
blog: http://mycolleaguesareidiots.com/
twitter-corporate: @socmotor
twitter-personal: @drunkenmadman

Shane Greenup

Oct 5, 2012, 8:28:02 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Silicon Dioxide?

Shane

------------------------------------
http://www.rbutr.com
http://www.ShaneGreenup.com

On 5 October 2012 08:23, Alison Lee <aliso...@gmail.com> wrote:
Silicon South?

Silvia Pfeiffer

Oct 5, 2012, 8:35:00 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Silicon Sails? ;-)
S.

Alwin Chin

Oct 5, 2012, 8:44:27 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Do we have to carry the silicon brand? How about something Australian like...

Opal Valley?

Lets just not perpetuate the Iron ore/fossil fuel export thing. "Iron
ore valley"... Shudders

Alwin

Michael Guilfoyle

Oct 5, 2012, 8:48:03 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Silicon Colony

ValleyDownUnder

Dean Collins

Oct 5, 2012, 9:03:59 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

I can tell you that Americans wont understand Silicon “Gully”

My vote would be for Silicon Colony as that would make sense to Americans and also resonates with the issues the Australian startup community are facing eg. isolationism

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Inc
de...@cognation.net
+1-212-203-4357   New York
+61-2-9016-5642   (Sydney in-dial).
+44-20-3129-6001 (London in-dial).

Dean Collins

Oct 5, 2012, 9:35:39 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Is Elias Bizannes still active on the list serve? If so how do I get in contact with him to arrange the transfer of

http://SiliconColony.com

www.Facebook.com/SiliconColony

www.Twitter.com/SiliconColony

Does anyone know if you can change the name of a google group or does another one have to be setup and people re-subscribe onto the new list? I didn’t set up a list serve as I’m not sure if you can just do a name change.

Cheers,

Dean

212-203-4357

Ivan Galic

Oct 5, 2012, 9:45:01 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
As a non-Australian (currently living in Singapore), I find Colony to have a negative connotation. I hope you guys don't see yourselves as a colony anymore. Silicon Beach was emphasizing the positive side of the location, and I think that's a good direction to go.

Just my 2 cents.

ValleyDownUnder

> Forum rules
> 1) No lurkers! It is expected that you introduce yourself.
> 2) No jobs postings. You can use http://siliconbeachaustralia.org/jobs
>

> To post to this group, send email to
> silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
> silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/silicon-beach-australia?hl=en?hl=en

Forum rules
2) No jobs postings. You can use http://siliconbeachaustralia.org/jobs

To post to this group, send email to
silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

Forum rules
2) No jobs postings. You can use http://siliconbeachaustralia.org/jobs

To post to this group, send email to
silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

Rai

Oct 5, 2012, 9:47:25 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. Colony sounds terrible.

Rai

Dean Collins

Oct 5, 2012, 9:51:36 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Yeh but for aussie who have a “dont care” attitude the term “colony” gets worn like a badge of honor eg toughness, resourcefulness and creative.
eg able to string together something with a tin can and bailing wire.

Sounds like a lot of Australian based startups I know that are rocking SF/NY with what they’ve built with limited funding.

Cheers,

Dean

212-203-4357

Alwin Chin

Oct 5, 2012, 9:51:54 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
I have to agree with Ivan... not a fan of the 'colony'

Though... mind you it could make us stand out.
In the tune of 'Valley Convicts'

Here are a few other suggestions
Sunburn Valley
Southern Cross Valley
Girted Valley <- LOL
New South Valley

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Ivan Galic <ivan....@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Best regards,
Alwin Chin

John X

Oct 5, 2012, 9:57:50 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Silicon Island.

Dean Collins

Oct 5, 2012, 10:02:21 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Wow I had no idea how many people outside of this news group were using SiliconBeach until I did this google search eg. Bournemouth and SouthHampton in the UK !!?

Cheers,

Dean

212-203-4357

image001.png

Vorn

Oct 5, 2012, 10:15:04 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Silicon is sooo C20.  We should be a Quantum Beach.... and also not.

*back to lurking*

Geoff McQueen | AffinityLive

Oct 5, 2012, 10:43:48 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Why are we being cowards and getting off the stage? Let's own it!
--
Geoff McQueen
CEO

Cell: +1 650.450.4384
Skype: geoffmcqueen
GTalk: geoff....@gmail.com

Geoff Langdale

Oct 5, 2012, 10:59:32 AM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Members of the reality-based community might suggest that it probably doesn't matter if more than 1 place calls itself Silicon Beach (and it certainly doesn't matter enough to change a bunch of group and domain names).

However, if I had to propose an alternate name...based on the enthusiastic way that this inane idea is being discussed, I would propose "Silicon Bikeshed".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_Law_of_Triviality

Geoff.

Rod Clarke

Oct 5, 2012, 6:04:52 PM10/5/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
I am incredibly relaxed about leaving it as Silicon Beach. We have the best beaches out of the 3

Dylan Jay

Oct 5, 2012, 7:17:47 PM10/5/12

On 06/10/2012, at 12:43 AM, Geoff McQueen | AffinityLive <geoff....@affinitylive.com> wrote:

Why are we being cowards and getting off the stage? Let's own it!

+1

James Purser

Oct 6, 2012, 1:18:20 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Given that silicon is sooooo yesterday, can't we just call it "Quantum Beach"?

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Mick Liubinskas <mi...@pollenizer.com> wrote:
I think it's nice to say that Geoff and I'm all for fighting for it, but what are we going to to do own it? What is the stage and who's on it? Having our own group and drinks called Silicon Beach isn't nearly enough and I think we are a long way from owning it right now.

I was partly joking about a startup political party, but maybe a startup industry group would put someone in the centre of this who could push the brand. Otherwise we're it's just a nickname for an insular group.

Re: Other names, I would prefer not to have Silicon in it but it's probably the easiest to build on. I really don't like Colony for many reasons. Can't think of anything else right now.

Mick "Silicon Calves" Liubinskas

On Oct 5, 2012 9:54 PM, "Matto Rochford" <ma...@mattorochford.com> wrote:
[...]

Collaborynth

Tom Dawkins

Oct 6, 2012, 1:30:55 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Some group in Rio express a desire to be known as Silicon Beach and we run screaming from the term - come on now.

That said, I never liked it that much anyway, but the problem for me is the Silicon, not the Beach. If you had to change Beach Harbour would be the obvious replacement for me. Colony is awful.

Cheerio Beachers,

Tom
Tom Dawkins
Co-Founder
StartSomeGood.com
@tomjd
www.about.me/tomjd
To organize a meeting: tungle.me/tomjd
"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision." - Faithless

Elias Bizannes

Oct 6, 2012, 1:46:37 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
If people prefer to organise under other brands they are free to. But I don't really get the point of trying to rebrand: I've got no motivation to try to recreate the wheel. If you don't like the brand, no one is forcing you to be on this list or to use the term.

Sent by my iPhone

Alwin Chin

Oct 6, 2012, 1:55:25 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
+1
Yeah I agree with Elias.

It's not like Silicon Beach is an incorporated body that makes money out of the name... (or do they????).

I'm happy to stick with it if/or until one of those Brazilian companies etc takes the group to litigation...
Meanwhile... in the words of the Bra Boys, I say "this is our beach".

simran

Oct 6, 2012, 3:41:35 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Is "silicon-beach" more than just a mailing list and the name of a group getting together at drinks on friday? it's just a collection of people without any "legal" standing isn't it? If so, does it really need to change?

if a change is in the winds though, i'm all for not having the word silicon in it at all - nothing against silicon, but it's used because of it's association with a particular north american area, and surely we can do better than have to "imitate" (surely we can "create" :)

Avis M

Oct 6, 2012, 6:56:26 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
A few places in different continents calling themselves by the same name isn't really that big a deal. Some perspective people. Silicon Beach is what it is & it seems like a whole lot of hassle to try and rebrand, I don't see any reason for it to change. Oh an colony is just nasty. Just my two cents.

Avis

Matthew Ho

Oct 6, 2012, 7:01:35 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Keep the name

Focus our energies on building awesome products and businesses.

Then people will know who we are, regardless of the name.

Cheers,

Matt Ho
@inspiredworlds

rantalot

Oct 6, 2012, 7:13:18 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
+ 1 Elias

The term Silicon Beach has grown organically since ~2007 (thx for this little history lesson http://eliasbizannes.com/blog/2011/07/the-backstory-on-silicon-beach-and-an-aussie-entourage/).

The term has been used to describe this group, regular Friday night drinks (in at least three cities), blog posts, podcast interviews, and the ecosystem generally since then, maybe sometimes with a Sydney-centric bias, but (as far as I know) always with a view that it represented the entire Australian tech start-up community.

We don't 'own' the expression - the fact that tech entrepreneurs in Rio and Brighton and LA use the expression as well is great - that doesn't diminish anything we can do as a tech community in Australia.

I think it's a great unifying term - maybe not optimal in everyone's eye, but, hey, it sort of works pretty well!

Cheers
Rob

ValleyDownUnder

>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/silicon-beach-australia?hl=en?hl=en
>>

>> --
>>
>> Forum rules
>> 1) No lurkers! It is expected that you introduce yourself.
>> 2) No jobs postings. You can use http://siliconbeachaustralia.org/jobs
>>

>> To post to this group, send email to
>> silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

>> http://groups.google.com/group/silicon-beach-australia?hl=en?hl=en
>
> --

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/silicon-beach-australia?hl=en?hl=en

Grant Harmon

Oct 6, 2012, 7:34:46 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Silicon Down Under!

André

Oct 6, 2012, 8:13:34 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Quick, put ourselves here before those Cariocas do!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_places_with_%22Silicon%22_names

(I thought LA was Sillicone Valley)
(('Silicon x' is the mark of a high-tech startup ecosystem; 'Sun Valley' won't do))

André

Oct 6, 2012, 8:32:45 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Not pushing for the change, but... can't resist brainstorming names!

SILICON BOMBORA

"Bombora" is an aboriginal word for a wave that breaks outside the normal surf line.
http://www.bombora.net.au/about.php

rapids–often used to describe offshore reef breaks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Australian_Aboriginal_origin#Environment

The size and shape of bombora waves makes them attractive to surfers willing to take the risk of riding what is generally considered a hazardous pursuit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombora

Michael Giles

Oct 6, 2012, 11:28:20 AM10/6/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
+1 Elias

To join in on the ridiculousness...
Silicon DUNY "we get shit done"

Vinko Grgic

Oct 7, 2012, 8:39:30 AM10/7/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Wow, someone had to open this can of worms hey. Ok, so be it. I have personally never liked the idea of Silicon "anything" other than Silicon Valley (for being the original). And that's despite all the obvious benefits of immediate recognition. That being said, I +1 Elias and +1 Avis. Colony is just no good (what would that make me then being a Croat/Kiwi import?).

Instead of offering a nickname, I opt for these wise words I read somewhere else (creative license applied):
"Branding is not what you say about yourself, but what others are saying about you."

Let's stop wasting our collective precious time on this discussion, and give "them" something to talk about.
Vinko

Ben Sand

Oct 7, 2012, 9:10:03 PM10/7/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
On 6 October 2012 07:34, Grant Harmon <grant....@gmail.com> wrote:
Silicon Down Under!

Brand change probably not needed, but if so ^ this gets my vote.

Phil Sim

Oct 7, 2012, 8:23:33 PM10/7/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Oh the irony.

I'm not sure if any of you noticed but "Silicon Beach" actually
probably got its most wide-spread recognition it has every achieved
since this discussion started.

Google's Nick Leeder used the term in a public pow wow on Firday and
then wrote this opinion piece for the Fin with Silicon Beach in the
headline:
http://afr.com/p/opinion/time_to_innovate_and_build_our_silicon_t1qqTaBMKTddkEgl2FFN0H

And his comments prompted these headlines:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/government/australia-can-be-a-silicon-beach-prime-minister-julia-gillard-told/story-fn4htb9o-1226489359972
http://www.smartcompany.com.au/information-technology/052226-gillard-urged-to-help-create-silicon-beach-for-australian-tech-businesses.html

That's the kind of branding pick-up that can roll into a movement and
it actually should be a pretty proud day for Elias and the Silicon
Beach community.

It's a time to be ramping up the use of the brand, not moving away from it!

Phil Sim
> --
>
> Forum rules
> 1) No lurkers! It is expected that you introduce yourself.
> 2) No jobs postings. You can use http://siliconbeachaustralia.org/jobs
>

> To post to this group, send email to
> silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
> silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/silicon-beach-australia?hl=en?hl=en

--
Phil Sim
Chief Executive Officer,
MediaConnect Australia Pty Ltd
www.mediaconnect.com.au
phi...@mediaconnect.com.au
Ph: +61 2 9894 6277
Fax: +61 2 8246 6383
Mobile: 0413889940

Tom Dawkins

Oct 7, 2012, 10:52:22 PM10/7/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
We will fight them on the....

oh, never mind.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Matto Rochford <ma...@mattorochford.com> wrote:
In hindsight, beer o'clock on a Friday was probably not the best time to compose what has turned out be a mildly controversial post.

Instead of saying "need to re-brand" I should have said "it would be ideal if the brand was unique", which is closer to what I feel.

I also should have clarified that the "brand" I was referring to is "the Sydney and/or Australian startup community", not specifically the Friday networking events or this discussion group.

And I'm aware that:
  • Re-branding would be painful
  • I don't have a robust alternative brand to suggest
  • Some people have put a lot of work into building the local startup ecosystem, and I'm not one of them
Having said that, I am genuinely surprised how many other places use the term Silicon Beach, and maybe it's wiser to move on to something new and unique rather than fighting to be the beachiest Silicon Beach or settling for being just one of many Silicon Beaches.

Respek.

- Matto

On Saturday, 6 October 2012 15:49:05 UTC+10, Elias Bizannes wrote:
If people prefer to organise under other brands they are free to. But I don't really get the point of trying to rebrand: I've got no motivation to try to recreate the wheel. If you don't like the brand, no one is forcing you to be on this list or to use the term.

silicon-beach-aus...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at

Stephen Young

Oct 7, 2012, 10:55:18 PM10/7/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Love it. "We shall fight them on the beaches..." ;-)

But seriously, if we're going to bend over for every piece of
geography with a larger GDP - what hope does the Australian tech
community have? I feel a Midnight Oil song coming on.

And I'm with you - a positive "banner" to rally around could be a
great thing. A community recognised as something other than "those
whiny Y-Gens that Asher Moses keeps writing about" (not my sentiments,
but what I hear external to this community)

Ultimately it's a tech/internet meme - and in the age of Google we can
own it if we want it. It just takes a little SEO commitment. I'd be
happy (for example) to put a "proudly supporting and supported by"
button on each of our sites.

My 2c

Steve

On 8 October 20
Stephen Young
CEO @ factnexus.com
Architect @ wik.me
Founding member @ knowledgerights.org
61 2 9904-5882 (AU) 61 416-000-178 (Mob) 1 415 690-8639 (US)

Stephen Young

Oct 7, 2012, 10:56:15 PM10/7/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Damn it, Tom - were you looking over my shoulder?

William

Oct 8, 2012, 7:42:55 AM10/8/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
The Great Barrier Reef is quite internationally recognized so maybe "Silicon Reef"?

Michael Guilfoyle

Oct 8, 2012, 7:51:04 AM10/8/12
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

+1 Silicon Reef.

Reef more alive with diversity than a beach.