Which Friday is Sydney drinks?

Geoff McQueen

Jul 30, 2008, 10:15:26 PM7/30/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

Have been watching the debate on our sector with some interest & was thinking that getting some people together in person wile there's so much energ would be great.

While we're spread out pretty well, I think someone (was it you Mick L?) mentioned Friday drinks in Sydney; is anything going down tomorrow, and if so, does the invitation extend to the sorts of people on this list?

Geoff

Elias Bizannes

Jul 30, 2008, 10:35:23 PM7/30/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Geoff,

Good timing, I was actually going to send a reminder later today.

The drinks at *every* Friday, without fail - at the Shelbourne (although we are hoping to change the location because it sucks, but only once, we want consistency).

Friday - 6pm - Shelbourne. That's all you need to remember. We are normally situated by the pool table; at the standing table near the doors on the inside; or hidden in the back left corner table outside, near the exit.

Bart and myself are 90% always there. Mick Liubinskas and Lachlan Hardy drop by when they can as well. Hopefully we will get a critical mass in future, that there will always be someone there not dependent on one personality.

You may have seen references to them as FITSBAD (Mick) or Official Friday (Bart); they refer to the same thing. Mick called drinks like six weeks ago, and that first night, we all agreed we need to make it every week at the same location without fail, to incubate this industry and build community. Mick gave it a name "FIT Drinks" (Friday Information Technology Drinks), and I replied with a modifcation which he liked: FITSBAD or Friday Information Technology Silicon Beach Australia Drinks (he liked it because it had a sinbad sound to it...yeah, I dunno). However the same day a name was decided, Bart and I went on a drunken brainstorming session and came out with "Official Friday". We thought it was brilliant at the time...

Either way, those drinks and this group's creation are for very similar reasons - so drinks are all part of the grand plan :)

EVERYONE is welcome! No set agenda. No plan. Just people & alchohol with a common interest, same place same time every week.

If you have never been: you can DM me on Twitter, as I check before I go and when I'm there: @liako
You can also contact me on my mobile: 0412 338 508

dekrazee1

Jul 31, 2008, 12:53:50 AM7/31/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
Yeah, the location is a bit of a killer. I'm aiming to be there
tomorrow.

jamesz

Jul 31, 2008, 1:24:54 AM7/31/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
Hey Derek, good to see you here, are you starting something?

Mick Liubinskas

Jul 31, 2008, 7:03:34 AM7/31/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
I can't make it tomorrow, but keen to keep supporting it.

Other venue ideas would be greatly appreciated. I had a meeting at
cafe/bar at the other end of the block from the Shelbourne and it was
much more conducive to chatting.

The other option is to have it Thursday night?

Or find someone who has an office in the city that wouldn't mind a few
crashers?

Bart Jellema

Aug 1, 2008, 12:26:24 AM8/1/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
We'll be there tonight... with reinforcements... to make us a little
more recognizable for first-timers I'm bringing a little stuffed
kangaroo... it will be on the table where we are. And as an extra
incentive: First drinks are on http://www.tjoos.com/

Hope to see you all tonight!

Cheers,

Kim & Bart

Geoff McQueen

Aug 1, 2008, 2:48:21 AM8/1/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone running early? @ shellbourne now...

Elias Bizannes

Aug 1, 2008, 4:28:27 AM8/1/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
To find us, we are a bit hidden. Outside, far right if facing the
road. For non Sydney people, apologies growing pains until we get
every one to recognise each other!

Sent from my iPhone

On 01/08/2008, at 4:48 PM, Geoff McQueen <geoff....@internetrix.com.au

Kim Heras

Aug 1, 2008, 5:26:48 AM8/1/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
sh1t. Left before reading this. Went down to pool table - saw no-one -
bailed.

Oh well - next time.

On Aug 1, 6:28 pm, Elias Bizannes <elias.bizan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To find us, we are a bit hidden. Outside, far right if facing the
> road. For non Sydney people, apologies growing pains until we get
> every one to recognise each other!
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 01/08/2008, at 4:48 PM, Geoff McQueen <geoff.mcqu...@internetrix.com.au
>

>  > wrote:
>
> > Is anyone running early? @ shellbourne now...

Bart Jellema

Aug 1, 2008, 1:32:26 PM8/1/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
Oh no, you missed us.... There was over 10 of us... it was a good
night... and Killa, the killaroo was on the table... next time, give
me a call: 0401984056 (keep calling if I don't answer, I can be a bit
slow)