Art versus witchcraft: exporting a community-based dementia exhibition to South Africa.

Brendan Stone

Jun 3, 2016, 4:14:07 AM6/3/16
to sheffield-arts-and...@googlegroups.com, Medical Humanities Sheffield
Dear colleagues

I'd like to invite you to an event at the University of Sheffield at which my colleague David Reid will be sharing some of his recent work in dementia education.  Details are below. If you'd like to attend, please email India Woof, Project Officer for Engaged Learning Sheffield, i.w...@sheffield.ac.uk  Please feel free to pass this message on to people you think would be interested.

With best wishes
Brendan

-----------
Art versus witchcraft: exporting a community-based
dementia exhibition to South Africa.
Thursday 16 June, 12.30 - 1.30pm, Portobello Centre Seminar Room B59.

This session will be lead by David Reid, Programme Lead for the MA in Dementia Studies, and a
Senior University Teacher in the School of Nursing and Midwifery,

Session outline:

In this session I describe and explore the experience of supporting the development of a new community based dementia creative arts exhibition in Cape Town. Modelled on the annual South Yorkshire Dementia Creative Arts Exhibition (sydcae.co.uk), the Cape Town exhibition, due to run in February 2017, is the result of a year long collaboration with Dr Celeste de Jager at the University of Cape Town. One of the key findings from my recent visit is that, for some, developing the symptoms of 'dementia' can be a death sentence. There are multiple discourses of dementia in play in South Africa, including witchcraft. This art exhibition hopes to speak to all affected by dementia, and this ambition sets a formidable challenge for us to engage with all members of the community to produce meaningful creative art.

Please note following the end of the formal part of the session at 1.30pm a light lunch will be available and we would encourage the continuation of conversations which may arise from the more formal part of the event.

This is an Engaged Learning Sheffield Network event: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/als/current/engaged
If you have any questions about engaged learning, the Network or this event, please contact India Woof, Project Officer, i.w...@sheffield.ac.uk

--

Professor Brendan Stone
Director of Learning and Teaching (Engaged Curriculum)

Office +44 (0)114-222-8495

Brendan Stone: Staff page
NTFS page
Storying Sheffield