reply to book club suggestions

EP

Jun 28, 2012, 10:01:05 AM6/28/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jasmine --

I have a Google alert set for any hits on An Uncommon Education, and just received your note about a local book club starting up! If you ever do select AUE, I'd be honored to visit and chat with you about it -- either virtually or in person. I live in Redwood City and love connecting with local readers!

All best on your exciting new venture,

Elizabeth

Mallory Ortberg

Jun 28, 2012, 3:06:29 PM6/28/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
JASMINE I MIGHT ACTUALLY DO THIS OKAY

Yesssss!(?)

Jun 29, 2012, 7:21:15 AM6/29/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I hope it is ok that I signed up for this book club - I delurked on The Hairpin to introduce myself there as well.  I currently live in Menlo Park, though a move to Alameda might happen at some point in the coming year.

All of these books look really interesting.  In particular, Wild, Annabel, and especially An Uncommon Education most peaked my interest.  Thank you so much for making these suggestions!

I look forward to getting to know you all and discovering great books! I've never been part of a bookclub before and having recently graduated, I find myself with ample time to read novels again.

Arden

Arianna Cortesi

Jun 29, 2012, 3:30:06 PM6/29/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
I would DEFINITELY be in! I don't care much about what I read, because I'm a fast reader, and hate-reading things is basically just as enjoyable as really reading them.

frigwiggin

Jun 29, 2012, 4:03:24 PM6/29/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
I will happily schlep out from Stockton to do this! Let's read the pants off some books, people. (Because we will have something dedicated to talk about I will not cancel/pee myself with fear like I've been doing for the Pinups...)

Heidi Fogle

Jun 29, 2012, 5:21:15 PM6/29/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
As another recent delurker (and never-been-in-a-book-club-before...-er?), I'm hoping it's ok too! This sounds such a great idea, and I would be happy to read any of the suggestions!

Heidi

Alixana

Jun 29, 2012, 6:10:23 PM6/29/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
I am in as long as we meet sometime after August 13, my ETA in town!  I am most interested in Wild or An Uncommon Education.

Alixana

Jessica Jenkins

Jun 30, 2012, 12:56:59 AM6/30/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

Nice to "meet" you all -- I was JUST thinking earlier this week how much I wanted to be in a book club so this is perfect timing.  I live on the Peninsula but could meet up in San Francisco or anywhere public transit accessible.  I'd be in to reading any of those books!

ciao,
Jessica

Amanda Eve Landis

Jun 30, 2012, 5:17:18 PM6/30/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I'm another recent de-lurker and I love the idea of a Hairpin book club!
An Uncommon Education or Wild are on my to-read list, so I'd love to discuss those.

Hope to see you all soon!

-- amanda

marianneo

Jun 30, 2012, 11:01:01 PM6/30/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
YES! there needs to be more hairpin/bay area things in general.
i vote an uncommon education. how soon can we do this? 3 weeks from now?

i'm in san francisco but getting to the peninsula is easy for me so i'm open to having this anywhere that is car accessible.

- marianne

Yesssss!(?)

Jul 2, 2012, 3:08:40 PM7/2/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I will be out of town towards the end of this month, so the sooner we can do this the better my chances are of making the first meeting... but if that's not possible and I have to miss it, I look forward to the 2nd one!

Sincerely,
Arden

Message has been deleted

Jayne A

Jul 7, 2012, 12:49:37 PM7/7/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
I'm in I'm in I'm in! I would LOVE to read An Uncommon Education (and having an author visit would be incredible). I also just bought Swamplandia! by Karen Russell and Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn if anybody's interested in those.

Abigail Reser

Jul 7, 2012, 6:42:44 PM7/7/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Yes yes yes.  Def in for the book club, have been itching to join/start one for awhile. If we don't meet on Sat. afternoons/evenings, I may actually be able to make show up for once.

Helen Zeng

Jul 7, 2012, 9:22:37 PM7/7/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Oh gosh yes, would absolutely love to do a book club! An Uncommon Education would be great, but I'm not particular

PixieP

Jul 19, 2012, 11:49:05 AM7/19/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Yes I want to be a part of this very much! I have not been able to make it to any of the local 'pinups yet (fear/shyness), but I would LOVE to have something snap me out of that and a reading group would be just the thing. Jasmine, I am currently reading The Fault in Our Stars, primarily because of comments you have made about it on some of the book posts. I've already read Wild, but would read it again if that is what we choose.
I'm in SF and don't drive but can make it anywhere public transportation will take me ....

Jasmine Guillory

Jul 19, 2012, 12:52:59 PM7/19/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
I have totally fallen down on the book club job! Popular opinion seems to be An Uncommon Education, which I'm super excited to read. Ugh, now we have to figure out dates -- since it's mid July, maybe sometimes around the end of August? Maybe a Sunday, the 18th or the 25th?

Jessica Jenkins

Jul 19, 2012, 12:59:31 PM7/19/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com, sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all. Sounds good! I vote the 25th (will be out of town the 18th.)

~ Jessica ~

(Sent from my mobile device)

Alixana

Claire S

Jul 23, 2012, 8:54:25 PM7/23/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
I also have been meaning to get to pinups, but timing's been off. An Uncommon Education looks great & the 25th works for me :)

Lamar Anderson

Jul 25, 2012, 8:23:15 PM7/25/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm in the South Bay and am excited about the book club! Was there a gathering today that I missed? If so, I look forward to joining you for the next one!

Lamar

Alixana

Aug 4, 2012, 12:31:30 PM8/4/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Lamar, I think our goal was to have the first meeting on August 25th - does that still sound good to a critical mass of interested readers?  Shall we set a time and place?

Yesssss!(?)

Aug 16, 2012, 3:27:38 AM8/16/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me!

Kristin Kahlich

Aug 16, 2012, 11:31:25 AM8/16/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
I won't be able to make the first one on August 25th, but I would love to be a part of a bookclub!  Can you guys keep me posted about the next book that's chosen so that I can get started reading?  Thanks!

Jasmine Guillory

Aug 21, 2012, 4:07:11 PM8/21/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
All: August 25th is this Saturday, does that date still work for people, or should we try for the 26th (Sunday) instead? For either date, maybe sometime in the mid afternoon at a friendly bar in either BART accessible SF or Oakland?

Jessica Jenkins

Aug 21, 2012, 9:08:50 PM8/21/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com, sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
I can no longer do the 25th but the 26th sounds good! Otherwise, catch you all next time.

~ Jessica ~

(Sent from my mobile device)

Kathleen Seiter

Aug 22, 2012, 12:46:08 PM8/22/12
to sfeast-bay-...@googlegroups.com
Either date is fine with me!  As for locations, The Trappist is a friendly bar in Oakland right off the 12th St BART station.
Kathleen