Alameda County elections

Alyssa Vance

May 4, 2016, 4:47:13 PM5/4/16
to SFBARF
Hi everyone. Are there any elections in Alameda County this June, either local or county-wide? Or will everything be in November? Thanks a lot.

Ian Monroe

May 4, 2016, 5:05:53 PM5/4/16
to Alyssa Vance, SFBARF
Well vote for Nancy Skinner for Senate District 9. I mean I'm sure that contest will go until November though.

East Bay Forward is going to sending questionnaires to the Democratic central committee members. That's the election that will actually be decided in June. So we'll figure out a full slate hopefully.

Ian

Victoria Fierce

May 5, 2016, 12:00:10 AM5/5/16
to Ian Monroe, Alyssa Vance, SFBARF
Oakland doesn't really have any contested elections right now. Its,
uh.. kinda quiet.
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/CAMDJe6NUeK1HUpC_
> > q%2Bp_RA4Rkmhe4QdJBLdMEMrMY52_XD9ovA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=em
> > ail&utm_source=footer>
> > .
signature.asc

Noveed Safipour

May 5, 2016, 1:42:03 AM5/5/16
to Victoria Fierce, Ian Monroe, Alyssa Vance, SFBARF
There's a judicial race. I'd encourage a vote for David Lim. He works in the DA's office but lives in San Mateo, where he serves on our city council. He's incredibly smart and always does his homework, with a genuine desire to be fair.

He's also sympathetic to housing issues. San Mateo already leans pro-increasing housing supply, so losing him here won't be a loss in that regard.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/1462420802.15115.40.camel%40hackerbots.net.

Alfred

May 13, 2016, 6:07:01 PM5/13/16
to Noveed Safipour, Victoria Fierce, Ian Monroe, Alyssa Vance, SFBARF
Has anyone responded to East Bay Forward's questionnaire?

I'm going to be doing voter reg this weekend and want to have a list of endorsements to pass out.

Alfred

~~~  ~~~

Ian Monroe

May 13, 2016, 6:09:43 PM5/13/16
to Alfred, Noveed Safipour, Victoria Fierce, Alyssa Vance, SFBARF
Only a few people responded. :/

I think these are probably fine:
http://berkeleydemocraticclub.com/2016-endorsements/

Ian

Victoria Fierce

May 13, 2016, 6:11:29 PM5/13/16
to SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, their slate is exactly ours. Its eerily quiet here in the eastbay, election-wise.

Ian Monroe

May 13, 2016, 6:19:35 PM5/13/16
to Victoria Fierce, SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
Except for the judge position. I wouldn't necessarily trust BDC on that. I'm kind of confused that we are electing a judge at all. lol.

Ian

Michael Blume

May 13, 2016, 10:36:23 PM5/13/16
to Ian Monroe, Victoria Fierce, SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
Why Nancy Skinner? Is there a summary somewhere of her positions compared to those of her opponents?

Alfred Twu

May 14, 2016, 6:57:59 PM5/14/16
to Ian Monroe, sfbarentersfed, Torrie Fischer

Looked through the Berkeley Democratic Club endorsed candidates, most look good except David, who has been an opponent of group housing.

Otherwise the party committee candidates haven't said much on housing, except for Kate Harrison.   Brett Badelle and Beverly Greene mention mass transit.  I would recommend all three of these folks.

I agree with Noveed on voting for David Lim for judge office #1.

Measure AA is good, it will restore wetlands and help delay the loss of housing to sea level rise.

Alfred

Starchild

May 15, 2016, 7:01:48 PM5/15/16
to Alfred Twu, Ian Monroe, sfbarentersfed, Torrie Fischer
Can you or someone explain exactly how Measure AA plans to restore wetlands? Add land to the bay, to make swamp? Bring the bay further inland to create swamp? Something else? How is this supposed to delay sea level rise (assuming for the sake of argument that the level of the bay actually will rise significantly)?

Technically speaking, sea level rise need not be an obstacle to housing of course, if people are willing to think /construct different...

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Alfred Twu

May 15, 2016, 9:32:55 PM5/15/16
to Starchild, Ian Monroe, sfbarentersfed, Torrie Fischer
Wetlands are able to slow down and sponge up extra water during high tides and storms.  It won't do much when sea levels go up 20', but helps when sea levels are only up 1-3'.  Yes, it's possible to build on stilts, but it costs a lot more.

Alfred
--
~~~  ~~~

Ian Monroe

Jun 20, 2016, 1:01:18 PM6/20/16
to Michael Blume, Victoria Fierce, SFBAren...@googlegroups.com
I missed this email, a bit late :D. But hey we get to vote again in November.

There's a good thread on our thinking her.

https://threadable.com/sfyimby/candidates/conversations/state-senate-d9-skinner-%3E-swanson

Definitive to me was Swanson stating flatly that he is against increasing the tax on gas. And Skinner is better at getting stuff done if you look at their legislative records.

Ian