OT(ish): This one goes to 11

Judd Blair

Apr 25, 2012, 12:56:58 PM4/25/12
to SF2G
Looks like some spy shots of Shimano's (alleged) 11-speed Dura Ace group leaked.

Not that any SF2G'ers will be left wanting since this not just 1, but 2 gears beyond the pinacle of 9 speed perfection.

Eric Altendorf

Apr 25, 2012, 1:03:40 PM4/25/12
to judd...@gmail.com, SF2G
why don't they just get it over with and switch to a 10mm chain pitch,
ridic-narrow chain, and like 15 or 20 cogs in the back?
> --
> terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html | bike prep: http://sf2g.com/prep.html |
> unsub: http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g

Ted Ketai

Apr 25, 2012, 1:06:10 PM4/25/12
to erical...@gmail.com, judd...@gmail.com, SF2G
Over a Rolhoff hub.

Carlin Eng

Apr 25, 2012, 1:36:32 PM4/25/12
to tke...@gmail.com, erical...@gmail.com, judd...@gmail.com, SF2G
Oh yeah? Well this one goes to 18! EIGHTEEN!

http://pinion.eu/discover-pinion/pinion-p1-18/

Jason Thorpe

Apr 25, 2012, 1:43:14 PM4/25/12
to judd...@gmail.com, SF2G
On Apr 25, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Judd Blair <judd...@gmail.com> wrote:

Looks like some spy shots of Shimano's (alleged) 11-speed Dura Ace group leaked.

Just what the world needs -- a new bold circle pattern...

Not that any SF2G'ers will be left wanting since this not just 1, but 2 gears beyond the pinacle of 9 speed perfection.

-- thorpej

Judd Blair

Apr 25, 2012, 1:50:04 PM4/25/12
to Jason Thorpe, SF2G
To be fair, most major groups now have chainrings that are pretty much matched to the rest of the group - not just in aesthetics (new SRAM Red, looking at you: http://university.tri-sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/newRed130.jpg) either.

Shimano in particular designed the hollow 7900 rings to be super stiff for Di2, and theyre meant to interface properly with the asymmetric chain they use. Although, Stronglight does make aftermarket rings:

I don't think we need more standards in cycling at all (I groaned when Cervelo put out that "BBRight" shit), but this doesn't seem as big of a deal.

Jason Thorpe

Apr 25, 2012, 2:09:35 PM4/25/12
to judd...@gmail.com, SF2G
On Apr 25, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Judd Blair <judd...@gmail.com> wrote:

To be fair, most major groups now have chainrings that are pretty much matched to the rest of the group - not just in aesthetics (new SRAM Red, looking at you: http://university.tri-sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/newRed130.jpg) either.

Wait, I thought the new Red rings, while having a tweaked ramp / pin profile, were more-or-less "standard", while the ring spacing on the crank is different (and matched to the new Red front shifter)...?

-- thorpej

Judd Blair

Apr 25, 2012, 2:19:32 PM4/25/12
to tho...@me.com, SF2G
That's my understanding, I was more referring to aesthetics (ie plain rings would look decidedly non-baller on that crank).

I believe they also stiffened up the rings for improved front shifting, but nothing proprietary like Shimano's asymmetrical parts to my knowledge.

Peter Chang

Apr 25, 2012, 2:38:06 PM4/25/12
to SF2G
Le 25 avril 2012 10:43, Jason Thorpe <tho...@me.com> a écrit :

> On Apr 25, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Judd Blair <judd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Looks like some spy shots of Shimano's (alleged) 11-speed Dura Ace group
> leaked.
>

> Just what the world needs -- a new bold circle pattern...

typo or is the BCD actually different?

\p

Peter Chang

Apr 25, 2012, 2:39:04 PM4/25/12
to tho...@me.com, judd...@gmail.com, SF2G
you need a new front derailler for either the shifter or the ring
spacing (i'm not sure).

\p

Danny Wyatt

Apr 25, 2012, 2:44:07 PM4/25/12
to d...@google.com, tho...@me.com, judd...@gmail.com, SF2G

Jason Thorpe

Apr 25, 2012, 3:04:32 PM4/25/12
to d...@google.com, SF2G
Take a look at the crank photo. 4-bolt crank, asymmetric pattern.

-- thorpej

Peter Chang

Apr 25, 2012, 4:07:31 PM4/25/12
to Jason Thorpe, SF2G
ah... until you pointed out the asymetry i saw 5 arms w/ one 'hidden'
behind the crank arm (my ritchey crank is that way, and it's sort of a
pain).

\p

Ben On

Apr 25, 2012, 4:14:42 PM4/25/12