Et tu, Barway?

Scott Crosby

Feb 23, 2013, 1:56:52 AM2/23/13
to SF2G
The Ides of March.

6 bars.

Daylight savings.

Ramesh & shots.

Itinerary still in planning dept.

some previous barways for inspiration:

I think this will be, like, Barway VIII. or maybe IX.

for historical perspective, the first-ever Barway, conceived by gherinm, was 12/18/09.

hideous weather cancels.

eh?

Scott Dier

Feb 23, 2013, 1:59:49 AM2/23/13
to Scott Crosby, SF2G
+1, need to experience this before I move away.

---

Scott Dier <sc...@dier.name>

Ben Kochie

Feb 23, 2013, 2:26:57 AM2/23/13
to Scott Dier, Scott Crosby, SF2G

Darrin Ward

Feb 23, 2013, 10:39:48 AM2/23/13
to sup...@gmail.com, Scott Dier, Scott Crosby, SF2G
never actually made a barway but have actually made it to fred's place.

we had a going away party for a coworker we didnt actually invite at fred's place.  all sorts of hilarity and fucked up ness but then again so was the coworker.

im in depending on the week.  i will be out of town on the 15th assuming based on history that barway is on a friday.

Maciek Wojciechowski

Feb 23, 2013, 11:34:44 AM2/23/13
to Darrin Ward, Scott Crosby, Scott Dier, sup...@gmail.com, SF2G

+1

Julia Mailander

Feb 23, 2013, 12:36:30 PM2/23/13
to maciekwoj...@gmail.com, Darrin Ward, Scott Crosby, Scott Dier, Ben Kochie, SF2G
+1  SPQR

Kyle B

Feb 23, 2013, 12:49:04 PM2/23/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I'm still a newbie, so to clarify, we ride up the peninsula from MTV stoping at bars along the way?  +1

Scott Crosby

Feb 23, 2013, 1:32:41 PM2/23/13
to Kyle Bechtel, SF2G
may or may not be a bar in MV.  probably start north of there.  but yes, meet at bar #1 about 16:30, hit several others, end up at some bar in SF around midnight.  Try not to lose Ramesh.

Darrin Ward

Feb 23, 2013, 4:41:16 PM2/23/13
to scr...@gmail.com, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G
speaking of which.

ramesh, you know how you train for bike ride?

we need to um train your liver.

d.

Jacky Schuler

Feb 23, 2013, 5:15:48 PM2/23/13
to SF2G
+1 if I get out of work on time!

Peter Colijn

Feb 24, 2013, 5:37:01 PM2/24/13
to jackys...@gmail.com, SF2G
+1 yay barway!

Carlin Eng

Feb 24, 2013, 5:45:13 PM2/24/13
to scr...@gmail.com, SF2G
+1

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Andrew Stadler

Feb 24, 2013, 7:06:21 PM2/24/13
to scrosby, SF2G

+1

Ted Ketai

Feb 24, 2013, 11:23:59 PM2/24/13
to Andrew Stadler, Scott Crosby, SF2G

Argh! I gave up drinking until the end of March. I may come ride anyway.

On Feb 24, 2013 4:06 PM, "Andrew Stadler" <sta...@gmail.com> wrote:

+1

Blair Menn

Feb 24, 2013, 11:52:14 PM2/24/13
to tke...@gmail.com, Andrew Stadler, Scott Crosby, SF2G
Yes!

Beckett Madden-Woods

Feb 25, 2013, 10:33:28 AM2/25/13
to Blair Menn, Ted Ketai, Andrew Stadler, Scott Crosby, SF2G
+1! I haven't done one since the #3 sog-a-thon.

Alejandro Villarreal

Feb 25, 2013, 5:13:31 PM2/25/13
to Beckett Madden-Woods, Blair Menn, Ted Ketai, Andrew Stadler, Scott Crosby, SF2G
This is relative to my interests. I may be in London riding around with Zapp, though, depending on the date.
Alejandro Villarreal | Program Manager | aleja...@google.com | 408-421-5158

Ramesh

Feb 25, 2013, 5:28:02 PM2/25/13
to Darrin Ward, Scott Crosby, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G

Oh, please! Thanks for embarrassing me Scott :D

I *love* Barway but I don't really know if I would ever be allowed to participate in another one. The last two (2012 BTWM & Lindsey Z.'s farewell) that I did ended very ugly by inconveniencing few people to bring me & my bike back home in a car :(

Although, I am extremely tempted now to join for this with an ambitious goal of completing one full Barway in my SF2G career. I will abide by these rules & act responsibly:

1. I won't do any shots.

2. Perhaps just 1/2 beer per bar or no alcohol consumption at all for that matter to successfully finish the ride all the way up to the last bar in SF.

If I +1 to this, will it inconvenience anyone?

Peter Colijn

Feb 25, 2013, 5:45:20 PM2/25/13
to rames...@gmail.com, Darrin Ward, Scott Crosby, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G
I think Scott was trying to reflect the fact that your antics have
become part of the time-honored barway tradition, meaning you _must_
come :)

Andrew Stadler

Feb 25, 2013, 5:49:55 PM2/25/13
to caff...@colijn.ca, rames...@gmail.com, Darrin Ward, Scott Crosby, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G
Maybe the secret is to make Ramesh stay outside and guard the bikes at
The Dog House. That seems to be the trouble spot.

Eric Altendorf

Feb 25, 2013, 5:51:08 PM2/25/13
to Andrew Stadler, Peter Colijn, Ramesh G, Darrin Ward, Scott Crosby, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G
It's where all the hot ladies always are.....

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Andrew Stadler <sta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe the secret is to make Ramesh stay outside and guard the bikes at
> The Dog House. That seems to be the trouble spot.

Marion Silies

Feb 25, 2013, 5:51:05 PM2/25/13
to tke...@gmail.com, Andrew Stadler, Scott Crosby, SF2G
+0.5
either half the way, or half the drinks... at least if I'm interpreting this correct and this is march 15th?
ramesh, you shoud come!
ted, you should drink  (maybe the other half of my drinks, then it doesn't count for you?!)

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Ted Ketai <tke...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Marion Silies
Dept. of Neurobiology, Clandinin lab

email: msi...@stanford.edu

Scott Crosby

Feb 25, 2013, 6:02:35 PM2/25/13
to Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G, Brett Lider, jennifer hunt
First Rule of Barway: If this is Barway, you have to drink.

First Sage Advice of Barway: Don't do shots, limit thyself to one drink per bar.

First Suggestion of Barway for the Ladies: Pose for a photo with the Dude from The Dog House.

As many will attest, it's considered perfectly acceptable to make an idiot of yourself on Barway and/or indulge in low-speed single-vehicle crashes, but these are best left to the vicinity of the final bar of the night, such as Bender's:

so yes Ramesh, you should try Barway once more.

Scott Crosby

Feb 25, 2013, 6:03:53 PM2/25/13
to Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G, Brett Lider, jennifer hunt
(Colijny the Elder summed it up perfectly, btw)

Ramesh

Feb 25, 2013, 6:07:26 PM2/25/13
to Eric Altendorf, Andrew Stadler, Peter Colijn, Darrin Ward, Scott Crosby, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G

I was told by Marion the next hungover morning that I was kissing someone outside Doghouse which I sadly do-not-remember :((

Ted Lesher

Feb 25, 2013, 6:08:12 PM2/25/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, Brett Lider, jennifer hunt
Ooooooh this sounds awesome... consider me a +1!

Brett Lider

Feb 25, 2013, 6:10:12 PM2/25/13
to Ted Lesher, SF2G, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, jennifer hunt
+1

serena

Feb 25, 2013, 6:11:06 PM2/25/13
to tedl...@google.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, Brett Lider, jennifer hunt
+0.2 i have rehearsal, but maybe if it starts eearly and near-ish...

Blair Menn

Feb 25, 2013, 6:11:22 PM2/25/13
to rames...@gmail.com, Eric Altendorf, Andrew Stadler, Peter Colijn, Darrin Ward, Scott Crosby, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G
Mesh, I said it before and I'll say it again: eat something.  Alcohol absorbs more slowly with a base layer of carbs.

I was told by Marion the next hungover morning that I was kissing someone outside Doghouse which I sadly do-not-remember :((

Aces!  Drunken alleyway make-out at the Doghouse?   That is a successful Barway.

You _must_ come.

Darrin Ward

Feb 25, 2013, 6:11:32 PM2/25/13
to Ramesh, Eric Altendorf, Andrew Stadler, Peter Colijn, Scott Crosby, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G
hehe i have done that a few times though not outside the doghouse.

sadly i forgot the ides of march is on the 15th and i will be out of town.  :(  missing yet another barway do to being out of town.

still willing to help you train your liver with fine bourbon and beer.  :)

Ryan Minobe

Feb 25, 2013, 6:11:54 PM2/25/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Ted Lesher, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, jennifer hunt
+1.  Ramesh, I was actually not going to sign up for this until I saw your name pop up : )  And for whatever reason, I'm more nervous about my ability to finish this ride than any other +1 of my short SF2G career.

Scott Crosby

Feb 25, 2013, 6:15:39 PM2/25/13
to Ryan Minobe, SF2G, Ted Lesher, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, jennifer hunt
Is Ramesh the only one to ever score on a Barway? hats off indeed.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Ryan Minobe <rmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1.  Ramesh, I was actually not going to sign up for this until I saw your name pop up : )  And for whatever reason, I'm more nervous about my ability to finish this ride than any other +1 of my short SF2G career.

Carlin Eng

Feb 25, 2013, 6:18:07 PM2/25/13
to scr...@gmail.com, Ryan Minobe, SF2G, Ted Lesher, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, jennifer hunt
Side note to anyone asking about the date of this event: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ides_of_March

Kyle B

Feb 25, 2013, 6:20:51 PM2/25/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
What does it take to get a Google bus as a SAG wagon for "mechanicals"?

Scott Crosby

Feb 25, 2013, 6:21:24 PM2/25/13
to Carlin Eng, Ryan Minobe, SF2G, Ted Lesher, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, jennifer hunt
the most noteworthy bit in that article, other than the date, is this:

In Canada, the day is celebrated with the drinking of Bloody Caesars

sounds like a decree.

Peter Chang

Feb 25, 2013, 6:23:49 PM2/25/13
to SF2G

2013/2/25 Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com>:

> the most noteworthy bit in that article, other than the date, is this:
>
> In Canada, the day is celebrated with the drinking of Bloody Caesars

taht's not kosher.....

\p

Ramesh

Feb 25, 2013, 6:42:32 PM2/25/13
to Scott Crosby, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G, Brett Lider, jennifer hunt

+1

Thanks Scott! Winners never quit & quitters never win. After two consecutive failed attempts, I am successfully going to finish this Barway!!! :)

Scott Crosby

Feb 25, 2013, 6:46:29 PM2/25/13
to Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G, Brett Lider, jennifer hunt
Ramesh's Rule: Shots are the Eject button of Barway

Converse of R's R: You Will Get Drunk Enough, Trust Us.

Christine Ryan

Feb 25, 2013, 6:52:32 PM2/25/13
to scr...@gmail.com, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G, Brett Lider, jennifer hunt
Damn--wish I were going to be in town then...though I'd for sure have to swap my pedals back to the old, flat ones...

Sent from my iPhone.

Judd Blair

Feb 25, 2013, 6:56:27 PM2/25/13
to Scott Crosby, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G, Brett Lider, jennifer hunt
Literally, in my case. I distinctly recall racing Mr. Crosby to the doghouse after consuming the first of what would be many shots of whiskey. In my sprint to the finish, any fear or sense of self-preservation long-since erased by the bourbon, I decided I would get clever by cutting into the parking lot, where I was met with a front-wheel sized chunk of missing concrete, about 6 inches deep. As I was catapulted into the air, I had just enough time to consider the fact that my bandanna (covered with super-awesome $100 bill print) would probably not be an effective substitute for a helmet.

Far be it from me to encourage responsibility, but I'd at least save the whiskey for once you get within city limits.

Nathan Dushman

Feb 25, 2013, 7:12:43 PM2/25/13
to SF2G
As much fun as this conversation is, can we try to encourage responsible
behavior while we're joking about past mistakes? It's not OK to be weaving
all over the road, with no lights, nearly colliding with your fellow riders
who are not in good shape to take last-minute avoidance maneuvers, at nearly
midnight. No one wants the end of Barway ruined by a bike-on-bike crash.

Nathan

Andrew Stadler

Feb 25, 2013, 7:19:49 PM2/25/13
to n...@abtech.org, SF2G
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Nathan Dushman <n...@abtech.org> wrote:
> As much fun as this conversation is, can we try to encourage responsible
> behavior while we're joking about past mistakes? It's not OK to be weaving
> all over the road, with no lights, nearly colliding with your fellow riders
> who are not in good shape to take last-minute avoidance maneuvers, at nearly
> midnight. No one wants the end of Barway ruined by a bike-on-bike crash.
>
> Nathan

Nathan is absolutely right.

Please make sure that your steed is equipped with fully-charged,
extra-bright, front and rear lights, when you weave all over the road,

Scott Crosby

Feb 25, 2013, 9:44:04 PM2/25/13
to Judd Blair, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G, Brett Lider, jennifer hunt
Who won?

Scott Crosby

Feb 25, 2013, 9:51:58 PM2/25/13
to sta...@gmail.com, n...@abtech.org, SF2G
If a tree falls in the forest and no one sees it, does it make a sound?

Yes, bring bright lights. If I can't see you crash, it's less funny.

jennifer hunt

Feb 25, 2013, 10:05:07 PM2/25/13
to Scott Crosby, Judd Blair, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G, Brett Lider
Two things:

1) Judd - you were racing Theo.
2) Please forward me the spring barway 2013 email.

xo

Judd Blair

Feb 25, 2013, 10:21:18 PM2/25/13
to jennifer hunt, Scott Crosby, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G, Brett Lider
Oh no, the Doghouse disaster was not the last race of the evening - I distinctly remember the Theo race, and that came later in the night: a drag race down mission from Daly City to St. Mary's, where apparently some bozo in a big SUV tried to fight some people (the time spent in zone 4/5 plus the copious amount of whiskey meant I was teetering on the precipice of full retrograde amnesia - memory is hazy at this point).

jennifer hunt

Feb 25, 2013, 11:02:30 PM2/25/13
to Judd Blair, Scott Crosby, Ramesh, Darrin Ward, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G, Brett Lider
Honestly, the only detail I remember is how awesome your outfit was.

jennifer hunt

Feb 25, 2013, 11:22:52 PM2/25/13
to Judd Blair, Scott Crosby, SF2G
+1

somewhat contingent on a +1 from Amanda Robinson

Nat Futterman

Feb 25, 2013, 11:51:37 PM2/25/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Judd Blair, Scott Crosby
+1 for sure. Probably have to chase for the first bit as always, but you never know.

Scott Crosby

Feb 25, 2013, 11:54:32 PM2/25/13
to Nat Futterman, sf...@googlegroups.com, Judd Blair, Amanda Robinson
Paging Amanda... day off from roller derby?

Patrick Kitto

Feb 26, 2013, 12:16:19 AM2/26/13
to scr...@gmail.com, Nat Futterman, sf...@googlegroups.com, Judd Blair, Amanda Robinson
What is the first stop north of RWC?

I am tentatively and apprehensively considering it. I'm not sure i can hang...

Amanda Robinson

Feb 26, 2013, 12:42:06 AM2/26/13
to jennifer hunt, Judd Blair, Scott Crosby, SF2G
Well if jennifer hunt is going... I guess I'll have to join too.

+1.

scott :)

Feb 26, 2013, 2:01:35 AM2/26/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Someone needs to be an chaperon +1 oh and Ted I'll be buying you at least two drinks.

Andrew Stadler

Feb 26, 2013, 10:47:30 AM2/26/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
To those wondering about their readiness for this event, it's very
scalable to your schedule & ability.

Emails tend to go out as the group arrives and departs each bar, so
it's pretty easy to join midway (or catch up if you need to work a bit
later).

And the entire route is close to Caltrain (and eventually, BART) so
it's easy to bug out when you reach your limit.

--Andy

Scott Crosby

Feb 26, 2013, 12:23:34 PM2/26/13
to Andrew Stadler, SF2G
as long as you adhere to the Strongly Suggested Rules of Barway, you'll be fine:

1) No shots
2) 1 drink per bar max

now, Ted may well buy you shots, and you'll feel obligated to drink them.  hark ye: do not fall for his ploys.

route is still stuck in committee, but the rough plan is 6 bars, including the final stop in SF.  leaning toward a more northerly start than usual so most people won't have to ride south to do the entire route (recommended).

now about the Sage of the Peninsula...

Peter Chang

Feb 26, 2013, 12:25:25 PM2/26/13
to SF2G
2013/2/26 Andrew Stadler <sta...@gmail.com>:
> To those wondering about their readiness for this event, it's very
> scalable to your schedule & ability.

before he went insane...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

i try not to drink beer (shots or mixed drinks) but multiple per stop is out.

\p

Mike W

Feb 26, 2013, 1:02:40 PM2/26/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Stadler
+1

6 beers and cycling? Sounds like what I do every other weekend, only it's usually around 10 miles, not 40

gherinm

Feb 26, 2013, 4:32:57 PM2/26/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I had been considering a brewery way that I was about to call.  It would likely require an east bay route though.  Any appetite?

Peter Colijn

Feb 26, 2013, 4:34:16 PM2/26/13
to matt.g...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
I would probably be up for a brewery way, depends a bit on timing though.

Matt Ghering

Feb 26, 2013, 5:58:48 PM2/26/13
to Peter Colijn, SF2G
Potential routes

East bay
- Tied house
- Either Fire House (I think there is one by the bridge) or Free Wheel
- Buffalo Bill's
- Drake's
- Pacific Coast
- Linden
- 21st (maybe)
- Southern Pacific

Traditional
- Tied House
- Fire House
- Devil's Canyon (Belmont) - would have to get there by 6pm
- Steelhead (Burlingame)
- Speakeasy
- Southern Pacific

Some of these close around 9, but we should be able to make a good collection of them.  I would vote EB.  It's a long haul from the bridge to Buffalo Bills, but you are rewarded with some pretty tasty stuff when you hit oakland.  Plus there is the novelty of the EB route.  That said, the traditional route is likely more straight forward.

Ted Ketai

Feb 26, 2013, 6:46:35 PM2/26/13
to Matt Ghering, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Rule #3 of Barway: You MUST stop at the Dog House. East Bay is therefore not an option.

Scott Crosby

Feb 26, 2013, 6:48:05 PM2/26/13
to Ted Ketai, Matt Ghering, Peter Colijn, SF2G
yeah BreweryWay is a different beast.  a great idea, but not this time.

Dog House is indeed mandatory. besides, they have any beer you want, as long as it's Budweiser.

Blair Menn

Feb 26, 2013, 7:03:44 PM2/26/13
to scr...@gmail.com, Ted Ketai, Matt Ghering, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Bottles rule at the Dog House, unless you want your pint in two 8 oz glasses.  And a surly bartender who's gonna have to wash all those fucking dishes.

Matt Ghering

Feb 26, 2013, 7:12:50 PM2/26/13
to Blair Menn, Scott Crosby, Ted Ketai, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Fair enough.  I guess I should have gotten off my ass and called my own ride :(

Scott Crosby

Feb 27, 2013, 6:03:45 PM2/27/13
to Matt Ghering, Blair Menn, Ted Ketai, Peter Colijn, SF2G
some pics from Barway VI, aka, best weather ever barway.

Dave Borowitz

Feb 27, 2013, 10:55:45 PM2/27/13
to Scott Crosby, SF2G
+1

I heart drinking and I heart bikes (in no particular order).

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:
The Ides of March.

6 bars.

Daylight savings.

Ramesh & shots.

Itinerary still in planning dept.

some previous barways for inspiration:

I think this will be, like, Barway VIII. or maybe IX.

for historical perspective, the first-ever Barway, conceived by gherinm, was 12/18/09.

hideous weather cancels.

eh?

katie evans

Feb 27, 2013, 11:56:10 PM2/27/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+.5. i have a late meeting so will come find you guys when its over and will be in need of a cocktail or 6

Ted Lesher

Mar 4, 2013, 1:15:36 PM3/4/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+2 more! It will be Jacob's last day at the Goog so this is a perfectly timed barway!

Scott Crosby

Mar 11, 2013, 1:13:01 AM3/11/13
to tedl...@google.com, SF2G
Barway cometh! the Ides is (are?) THIS friday, 3/15.  woe, woe unto the peninsula.

the bar list is still in committee, but you can expect some old standbys and one or two experiments.  what IS known is that the bias will be toward northerly bars in order to make some early progress, and not have any/much southbound travel for people working north of PA.

so far, we have the following likely contenders:

1) X
2) Marvin Gardens - Belmont
3) X
4) Dog House - San Bruno
5) Molloy's - Colma
6) X - SF

anything good in Menlo?  Foster City/B'game?  of course, if it rains, a Steamie's stop is a must.  SF likely to be Bender's or SP.

typical Barway scene:

Andrew Stadler

Mar 11, 2013, 1:17:14 AM3/11/13
to scr...@gmail.com, SF2G
-1 ... Conflict just came up - hope to see y'all at the next one.

--Andy

Peter Colijn

Mar 11, 2013, 1:20:57 AM3/11/13
to scr...@gmail.com, tedl...@google.com, SF2G
Is Marvin Gardens the dinner spot? I remember them having pretty decent grub...

Jacky Schuler

Mar 11, 2013, 1:22:47 AM3/11/13
to sta...@gmail.com, scr...@gmail.com, SF2G
This is the bar in Redwood City that I found: http://www.freewheelbrewing.com/. I haven't been there but it's called Freewheel so they must be bike friendly...

I vote for Southern Pacific in SF. They probably have the most space of the bike-friendly bars.

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Andrew Stadler <sta...@gmail.com> wrote:
-1 ... Conflict just came up - hope to see y'all at the next one.

--Andy

Nathan Dushman

Mar 11, 2013, 2:00:02 AM3/11/13
to SF2G
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 10:13:01PM -0700, Scott Crosby wrote:
> anything good in Menlo? Foster City/B'game? of course, if it rains, a
> Steamie's stop is a must. SF likely to be Bender's or SP.

There's the Firehouse in East Palo Alto near the Ikea, but that might be out
of the way for the Palo Alto folks.

I liked Steelhead in Burlingame when we stopped there on a previous Barway.
They have a small back patio, probably large enough for our group though.

The German place in Redwood City was fun too on a previous edition.

Nathan

Ben Kochie

Mar 11, 2013, 2:02:32 AM3/11/13
to jackys...@gmail.com, Andrew Stadler, Scott Crosby, SF2G
That looks interesting, but street views makes it look like they're
somewhere in a strip mall.

Scott Crosby

Mar 11, 2013, 12:28:34 PM3/11/13
to Ben Kochie, jackys...@gmail.com, Andrew Stadler, SF2G
looks cool, I think we should check it out

Nathan Dushman

Mar 11, 2013, 12:44:55 PM3/11/13
to SF2G
One other idea in Menlo Park. In addition to food, Cafe Barrone has a small
but usually interesting selection of beers on tap and lots of outdoor
seating. Might be a good starting point, people can roll up whenever.

Nathan

David Goldsmith

Mar 11, 2013, 12:46:37 PM3/11/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Ooh, great idea. Plus, those of us who are not doing Barway could join
and then hop on the train at Menlo Park station.

Scott Crosby

Mar 11, 2013, 1:16:22 PM3/11/13
to Nathan Dushman, SF2G
rollout/meetup/optional first beer might be PA - Rose & Crown has Pliny on tap, not to mention pickled eggs.

Peter Colijn

Mar 11, 2013, 1:17:25 PM3/11/13
to scr...@gmail.com, Nathan Dushman, SF2G
You had me at Pliny.

Ted Lesher

Mar 11, 2013, 1:32:47 PM3/11/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com, Nathan Dushman
Love the Rose and Crown, sounds like a great start!

David Ahn

Mar 11, 2013, 1:37:03 PM3/11/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 to barway (and rose & crown meetup)

Scott Crosby

Mar 11, 2013, 1:37:20 PM3/11/13
to tedl...@google.com, SF2G, Nathan Dushman

Brett Lider

Mar 11, 2013, 2:55:33 PM3/11/13
to scr...@gmail.com, tedl...@google.com, SF2G, Nathan Dushman
Re: a Rose and Crown start: that's a lot of riding for Applers and Googlers with no beer in our stomachs. My body might think I'm on a real ride!

Nat Futterman

Mar 11, 2013, 2:57:37 PM3/11/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com, tedl...@google.com, Nathan Dushman
Oh, also, it's now official that I'm going to start working in the city, so while I'll actually have one more week of SF2G after the barway (largely impeded by a terribly-timed oncall rotation), this will be a good more-or-less-last hurrah of commuting to the Peninsula.

And I'll even try to make it to the first stop this time (after all, what're they going to do...fire me?).

Maciek Wojciechowski

Mar 11, 2013, 2:57:37 PM3/11/13
to Brett Lider, scr...@gmail.com, tedl...@google.com, SF2G, Nathan Dushman
If we do a grassy knoll rollout I can provide beer :).

Scott Crosby

Mar 11, 2013, 3:24:14 PM3/11/13
to Brett Lider, tedl...@google.com, SF2G, Nathan Dushman
5 miles! too bad TGIF is on thursday now... wtf.

Googlers & south, south bay brethren should meet at either the Sports Page or Fred's for preassembly.  us PA+ types don't feel like riding south 5 miles to start...

note this delicious-looking beer (and it was) from Barway I, which pre-assembled at Sports Page.

-sc

Scott Crosby

Mar 11, 2013, 4:00:20 PM3/11/13
to Brett Lider, tedl...@google.com, SF2G, Nathan Dushman, Scott Frymoyer, Julia Mailander, Judd Blair, Carlin Eng
this just in: Julia has, due to wrist infirmity precluding her normal bike, agreed to co-pilot the attached.  need captain.  yeah the seatpost goes to 11.
co-motion.JPG

Peter Chang

Mar 11, 2013, 4:35:50 PM3/11/13
to SF2G
2013/3/11 Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com>:
> this just in: Julia has, due to wrist infirmity precluding her normal bike,
> agreed to co-pilot the attached.

is this what you're ferryng down via royale?

\p

Scott Crosby

Mar 11, 2013, 4:54:02 PM3/11/13
to Peter Chang, SF2G
nah, it's lurking in our office, owned by a coworker. he said we are welcome to borrow it... little does he know the risk to which it will be exposed.

---

Ben Kochie

Mar 11, 2013, 6:19:02 PM3/11/13
to Scott Crosby, Peter Chang, SF2G
I've never ridden a tandem, doing so while drinking would probably be dangerous.

Kyle B

Mar 11, 2013, 6:28:10 PM3/11/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I'm in the same boat, but always up for a challenge!

We'd also have to pilot it back down south at some point too?

Johan Beisser

Mar 11, 2013, 6:30:23 PM3/11/13
to sup...@gmail.com, Scott Crosby, Peter Chang, SF2G
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Ben Kochie <sup...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've never ridden a tandem, doing so while drinking would probably be dangerous.

My girlfriend and I rode tandem for the first time while barhopping
with my cousins in Germany. It got much easier after the first two or
three beers.

Carlin Eng

Mar 11, 2013, 6:33:05 PM3/11/13
to kyle.b...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Royale w/ Cheese Terrible Tuesday Tandem Team Trial!!!

I'll volunteer to stoke if we can get a big engine up front.

Carlin Eng

Mar 11, 2013, 6:35:09 PM3/11/13
to kyle.b...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Typo, that should be Royale w/ Cheese Terrible Tuesday Tandem Team *Time* Trial!!!

Dave Borowitz

Mar 11, 2013, 6:48:05 PM3/11/13
to Kyle Bechtel, SF2G
Next time: Barway on a fleet of conference bikes.

Peter Colijn

Mar 11, 2013, 6:50:19 PM3/11/13
to ddbor...@gmail.com, Kyle Bechtel, SF2G
Why next time?

jlh

Mar 11, 2013, 11:45:57 PM3/11/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Why not start at Fred's?

So then, what is the ETD from Fred's?

Also, what ever happened to Armando?

On Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:13:01 PM UTC-7, impunity wrote:
Barway cometh! the Ides is (are?) THIS friday, 3/15.  woe, woe unto the peninsula.

the bar list is still in committee, but you can expect some old standbys and one or two experiments.  what IS known is that the bias will be toward northerly bars in order to make some early progress, and not have any/much southbound travel for people working north of PA.

so far, we have the following likely contenders:

1) X
2) Marvin Gardens - Belmont
3) X
4) Dog House - San Bruno
5) Molloy's - Colma
6) X - SF

anything good in Menlo?  Foster City/B'game?  of course, if it rains, a Steamie's stop is a must.  SF likely to be Bender's or SP.

typical Barway scene:

Alexandra

Mar 12, 2013, 9:18:30 PM3/12/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I should be able to join by San Bruno if not earlier. Any idea on an ETAs for the Dog House? 7:30ish?

Scott Crosby

Mar 12, 2013, 9:50:29 PM3/12/13
to jennif...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Fred's is in MV, and this is a Palo Alto-origin Barway.

Armando has abdicated.

The pre-game bar shall be Rose & Crown.

Alex is in, this is going to be awesome.

Scott Crosby

Mar 12, 2013, 9:53:27 PM3/12/13
to ake...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Oh Lordy, ETAs are a fool's errand on Barway. I would think somewhat later. But don't miss it -- the reunion of J. Hunt and her man at Doghouse is... just... words fail. Glorious, truly.
It is loading more messages.