OT: new strava challenge

faye steiner

Oct 10, 2012, 7:15:03 PM10/10/12
to SF2G
This is the perfect challenge for sf2g peeps- with commuting, you already log a ton of hours, and then the prize could not be more appropriate- a custome beer stein :)

as an off-topic of my already off-topic thread, here is the coolest story of a strava athlete who lost 300 pounds and just did his first Cx race:

Peter Chang

Oct 10, 2012, 7:20:02 PM10/10/12
to faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
2012/10/10 faye steiner <faye.s...@gmail.com>:
> This is the perfect challenge for sf2g peeps- with commuting, you already
> log a ton of hours, and then the prize could not be more appropriate- a
> custome beer stein :)
> http://app.strava.com/challenges/cannondale-oktoberfest-with-tim-johnson

is that 60hrs rolling time? those stoplights add up :-)

\p

Darrin Ward

Oct 10, 2012, 7:30:14 PM10/10/12
to d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
 60 hours in 21 days.  that seems like a challenge mostly for pfc..

even in the month i rode the most this year (which includes a week i took off of work to ride to la - alc), i only managed 53 hours in the saddle.

darrin

Peter Colijn

Oct 10, 2012, 7:37:54 PM10/10/12
to dmw...@gmail.com, d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
I did 79 hours in bike to work month, but that was commuting every day
+ at least 20 miles a day on weekends. And the rolling time question
is a good one; stop lights are easily 10-20 minutes on bayway.

Peter

David Goldsmith

Oct 10, 2012, 7:41:12 PM10/10/12
to caff...@colijn.ca, dmw...@gmail.com, d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
I'm doing a century on 10/20 (Foxy's out of Davis) to get started on
this. Will be away the following weekend, so virtually no chance of
finishing the challenge :-)

Anyone else coming to Davis?

Patrick Kitto

Oct 10, 2012, 7:43:58 PM10/10/12
to d...@dgolds.com, caff...@colijn.ca, dmw...@gmail.com, d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
+1.

Turning strava on for commutes to/from the train station will help with an additional 15-25 minutes a day

CX warm ups and cool downs too. thats an extra 2 hours a week there.

Mix in a couple HMBWs and we are in the money. er, free stein i mean.

-PK

Peter Chang

Oct 10, 2012, 7:45:00 PM10/10/12
to Darrin Ward, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
2012/10/10 Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com>:
> even in the month i rode the most this year (which includes a week i took
> off of work to ride to la - alc), i only managed 53 hours in the saddle.

that's why i asked how hours were counted since most of the commute
miles include a reasonable chunk of waiting but you don't want to
encourage 'padding' of rides.

strava says my bike to work month was 114 hours so it seems doable w/o
scrosby's description of 'monk-like devotion to bike commutng'.

\p

Peter Chang

Oct 10, 2012, 7:46:08 PM10/10/12
to Patrick Kitto, d...@dgolds.com, caff...@colijn.ca, dmw...@gmail.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
2012/10/10 Patrick Kitto <patric...@gmail.com>:
> CX warm ups and cool downs too. thats an extra 2 hours a week there.

good point. weird miles are still miles (or hours).

\p

Brooks Sizemore

Oct 10, 2012, 7:46:55 PM10/10/12
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:
> And the rolling time question is a good one; stop lights are easily 10-20 minutes on bayway.

Total ride time is what counts for this challenge: moving time + resting time.

--
Brooks Sizemore
bro...@darg.net

Peter Colijn

Oct 10, 2012, 7:49:48 PM10/10/12
to Brooks Sizemore, dmw...@gmail.com, d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Brooks Sizemore <bro...@darg.net> wrote:
> Total ride time is what counts for this challenge: moving time + resting time.

Hmm. That seems to leave it open to padding and seems a bit weird,
encouraging nice lengthy breaks at the waterstop for example. On the
plus side, maybe I'll stop cursing the lights so much...

Peter

Judd Blair

Oct 10, 2012, 7:59:02 PM10/10/12
to caff...@colijn.ca, Brooks Sizemore, dmw...@gmail.com, d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
What luck, I'm going on a 15 hour ride tomorrow! Ride to work, take a quick 8-10 hour break at my desk, then finish off with a ride to the train station...

David Goldsmith

Oct 10, 2012, 8:01:21 PM10/10/12
to judd...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, Brooks Sizemore, dmw...@gmail.com, d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
You could add a couple of hours to that if you waited until the train came before stopping your GPS.

Peter Chang

Oct 10, 2012, 8:01:34 PM10/10/12
to Judd Blair, caff...@colijn.ca, Brooks Sizemore, dmw...@gmail.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
2012/10/10 Judd Blair <judd...@gmail.com>:
> What luck, I'm going on a 15 hour ride tomorrow!

dude, it starts on the 20th. you're going to waste your ride :-)

\p

Judd Blair

Oct 10, 2012, 8:04:40 PM10/10/12
to Peter Chang, caff...@colijn.ca, Brooks Sizemore, dmw...@gmail.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
Dammit, and it was going to be epic!

Ramesh

Oct 10, 2012, 8:07:19 PM10/10/12
to brooks....@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, dmw...@gmail.com, d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G

I have already joined this Strava challenge :)

I can't commute everyday due to some work commitments but I have planned for two long distance commute rides on a weekly basis. Plus three consecutive mellow century rides (~8 hours) on all three weekends which roughly gives 20 hours of elapsed time per week to finish the challenge.

I find these Strava challenges & the leader boards to be quite motivating to get on my bike everyday but the prizes given for those who completes the challenge are not so motivating. For the previous 20,000+ feet of climbing challenge that we had to complete in a week, a small piece of badge stating that you have completed the challenge was awarded. hmmm.... I don't know ;)

Ramesh.

Carlin Eng

Oct 10, 2012, 8:07:06 PM10/10/12
to judd...@gmail.com, Peter Chang, caff...@colijn.ca, Brooks Sizemore, dmw...@gmail.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
Good opportunity to try one of these:

http://www.rusa.org/1200kms.html

Peter Chang

Oct 10, 2012, 8:19:40 PM10/10/12
to Ramesh, brooks....@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, dmw...@gmail.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
2012/10/10 Ramesh <rames...@gmail.com>:

> I find these Strava challenges & the leader boards to be quite motivating to
> get on my bike everyday but the prizes given for those who completes the
> challenge are not so motivating. For the previous 20,000+ feet of climbing
> challenge that we had to complete in a week, a small piece of badge stating
> that you have completed the challenge was awarded. hmmm.... I don't know ;)

it's for the glory! someone did post hoc stickers for the nuun thing
so i think you're just doing the wrong challenges :-)

\p

faye steiner

Oct 10, 2012, 8:26:14 PM10/10/12
to Peter Chang, caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G, dmw...@gmail.com, Ramesh, brooks....@gmail.com

+1 to PfC

It's for the internal satisfaction, sillies :)

Though I thought beer steins would be fitting for sf2g folk.

Ramesh

Oct 10, 2012, 9:17:58 PM10/10/12
to faye steiner, Peter Chang, caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G, dmw...@gmail.com, brooks....@gmail.com

lolz! I am still in & I was jus' kidding about the finisher prizes. I *love* these challenges & I am definitely completing this one!! I want those beer steins from you Faye :)

10 more days to go for some intense bike action...

tho...@me.com

Oct 10, 2012, 11:26:13 PM10/10/12
to rames...@gmail.com, brooks....@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, dmw...@gmail.com, d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G

On Oct 10, 2012, at 5:07 PM, Ramesh <rames...@gmail.com> wrote:

I find these Strava challenges & the leader boards to be quite motivating to get on my bike everyday but the prizes given for those who completes the challenge are not so motivating.

PEDAL FOR GLORY!  NOTHING[*] ELSE MATTERS!

-- thorpej

[*] Beer, burritos, and pastry not included.

Eric Altendorf

Oct 10, 2012, 11:44:11 PM10/10/12
to tho...@me.com, rames...@gmail.com, brooks....@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, dmw...@gmail.com, d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G
When you're pro, you're allowed to be motivated by the actual prizes.

Mere mortals like us must be satisfied with our little manufactured glories.

Rob

Oct 11, 2012, 1:52:58 PM10/11/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com, d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:30:20 PM UTC-7, dmw...@gmail.com wrote:
 60 hours in 21 days.  that seems like a challenge mostly for pfc..

yeah.  20 hours / week is intense.  strava says I'm averaging 17:30 / week but picking up an extra 2:30 just doesn't seem worth it.  I am passing on this one.  Hell, I rode 1,400 miles in sept and didn't have one week over 20 hours.

strava, W.

Lina Mårtensson

Oct 11, 2012, 1:54:50 PM10/11/12
to rob...@manchero.org, sf...@googlegroups.com, d...@google.com, faye.s...@gmail.com
try being slower, dude. ;)

Rob

Oct 11, 2012, 2:10:34 PM10/11/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
gotta keep my avg speed for the year > 18 mph.  i am really looking forward to 2013.

Peter Chang

Oct 11, 2012, 2:13:44 PM10/11/12
2012/10/11 Rob <rob...@manchero.org>:
> gotta keep my avg speed for the year > 18 mph.

nice!

Maciek Wojciechowski

Oct 12, 2012, 12:55:58 PM10/12/12
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Rob <rob...@manchero.org> wrote:
gotta keep my avg speed for the year > 18 mph.  i am really looking forward to 2013.

Now you're making me feel guilty for slowing you down a few times...

Ryan Anderson

Oct 12, 2012, 1:06:35 PM10/12/12
to maciekwoj...@gmail.com, rob...@manchero.org, sf...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Maciek Wojciechowski
<maciekwoj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Rob <rob...@manchero.org> wrote:
>>
>> gotta keep my avg speed for the year > 18 mph. i am really looking
>> forward to 2013.
>

> Now you're making me feel guilty for slowing you down a few times...

Why?

That just meant he had an excuse to go extra fast another time.

--
Ryan

Daniel D.

Oct 16, 2012, 3:54:51 PM10/16/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Dang you got me all excited :p.  Turns out the challenge won't be as easy as hoped "You have from October 20 to November 10 to complete 60 hours of cycling (as measured by ‘Time’ on the Site).  "Time" heading on strava  is for moving time. time."http://app.strava.com/challenges/cannondale-oktoberfest-with-tim-johnson#rules