wed may 11 - mt hamway - 24/mish bart - 0515 - style fun

Peter Colijn

Mar 25, 2016, 3:43:29 PM3/25/16
to SF2G
Mark your calendars, and submit that vacation day request NOW!

Bike to work day is May 12 this year. That means May 11 is Mount Ham Way Day!

I'll also be doing my traditional YawyabNoomFlah on the way home for anyone interested.

From Jason's ride call last year:

We will be targeting the Dublin/Pleasanton train that arrives at 0608.  Departure times from SF:

Glen Park — 0512
24th Mission — 0515 (this is where I'll be boarding)
16th Mission — 0517

After BART, we’ll be stopping at the Noah’s / Starbucks on Santa Rita Rd. to fuel up.

I anticipate we’ll hit the Junction at around 0945.

Alexandre Passos

Mar 25, 2016, 3:47:50 PM3/25/16
to Peter Colijn, SF2G
+1! Booked vacation day. For anyone who hasn't done it yet it's pretty great. There were enough regroups last year, and not a crazy pace. It was a really nice ride, strongly recommend.

---

 - Alexandre

Dave Borowitz

Mar 25, 2016, 9:02:12 PM3/25/16
to alexan...@gmail.com, Peter Colijn, SF2G

+0.4, definitely in town, undecided if I should try working.

Jeremy Yost

Mar 27, 2016, 12:17:35 AM3/27/16
to SF2G
+1  !! I'm so excited! I waited a whole year for last year and it did not disappoint! I thought you'd never post for this year. I'm so excited!

James deBoer

Mar 27, 2016, 1:30:23 AM3/27/16
to jerem...@gmail.com, SF2G
This sounds awesome. Last time I went over Mt Hamilton it took me two days, sleeping at the top.

I'm in, assuming I can get the day off.

Jason Thorpe

Mar 27, 2016, 11:10:24 AM3/27/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G
+1 !

---

-- thorpej

Allan Shortlidge

Mar 27, 2016, 1:12:08 PM3/27/16
to SF2G
+1

ammon

Mar 28, 2016, 10:12:45 PM3/28/16
to SF2G

Kurt Wallace Martin

Mar 29, 2016, 11:57:59 AM3/29/16
to skidp...@gmail.com, SF2G
anyone got the strava file from previous years?

> On Mar 28, 2016, at 7:12 PM, ammon <skidp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Apparently there's a dirt option in the middle: https://rayhosler.wordpress.com/2016/03/28/mt-hamilton-backside-road-stories/

Alexandre Passos

Mar 29, 2016, 12:00:35 PM3/29/16
to Kurt Wallace, ammon skidmore, SF2G

bonnie

Apr 1, 2016, 10:12:46 PM4/1/16
to SF2G
+1
I also enjoyed the ride last year and would second about the re-groups/ friendliness.  I do remember kvetching about getting up that early, but it was worth it!

Georgia Andrews

Apr 1, 2016, 10:27:57 PM4/1/16
to bon...@tmbox.com, SF2G
+.5 I'm flying back from a trip the day before but I could probably take another day off…

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 7:12 PM, bonnie bon...@tmbox.com wrote:
+1
I also enjoyed the ride last year and would second about the re-groups/ friendliness.  I do remember kvetching about getting up that early, but it was worth it!

---

Women Who Code San Francisco City Director

Georgia Andrews

Apr 1, 2016, 10:32:26 PM4/1/16
to bon...@tmbox.com, SF2G
Oh also I have a question: what kind of -slash- are there any water stops? (Someone at Colnago decided women only need one bottle cage)

Also I'd be getting on the train afterwards, best place to do so is probably San Jose, yes?

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 7:12 PM, bonnie bon...@tmbox.com wrote:
+1
I also enjoyed the ride last year and would second about the re-groups/ friendliness.  I do remember kvetching about getting up that early, but it was worth it!

---

Alexandre Passos

Apr 1, 2016, 10:43:10 PM4/1/16
to Georgia, SF2G, bonnie

There is hose water at the junction, real water at the top, and San Jose is the closest Caltrain

aamir ali

Apr 19, 2016, 5:12:04 PM4/19/16
to SF2G, and.ge...@gmail.com, bon...@tmbox.com
+0.5 will be coming back from a work trip in europe, so the jet lag should help wake up early. Will decide on that week if I can make it.

Yvonne Yip

Apr 19, 2016, 5:20:33 PM4/19/16
to gearin...@gmail.com, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bonnie
What time do people get into MTV for this? (Can I make it for a 1430 meeting?)

Peter Colijn

Apr 19, 2016, 5:25:20 PM4/19/16
to Yvonne Yip, gearin...@gmail.com, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bonnie
If you stick with the group, I wouldn't count on it. If you take off early you could probably make it.

Ben Kraft

Apr 19, 2016, 7:27:48 PM4/19/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, Yvonne Yip, gearin...@gmail.com, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bonnie
I followed maciek otf a few years back and we got in around 1:30. I definitely wasn't functional by 2:30. I think you could be functional in mtv at 2:30 if you split from the group early and skipped the long food stops but this might ruin the fun.

I'll probably +1 and try to make it to mtv early enough to fake a half day.

Peter Colijn

May 9, 2016, 2:00:24 PM5/9/16
to Ben Kraft, Yvonne Yip, gearin...@gmail.com, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bonnie
Reminder: this ride is happening this week! And it's gonna be awesome :)

Jason Thorpe

May 9, 2016, 2:01:50 PM5/9/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, Ben Kraft, Yvonne Yip, gearin...@gmail.com, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bonnie
It’s with great sadness that I have to -1 this time around :-(
-- thorpej

Alexandre Passos

May 9, 2016, 2:05:29 PM5/9/16
to Jason Thorpe, Peter Colijn, Ben Kraft, Yvonne Yip, gearin...@gmail.com, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bonnie
Restating my +1 (still +1, not +2).

This was a great ride last year. Mines road is amazing, miles and miles of pretty remote scenery at a gentle grade. This year it will be even better because we are having tons of wildflowers from all the rain, and it should be worth it to see them while they're still around.
 - Alexandre

Jeremy Yost

May 9, 2016, 4:33:05 PM5/9/16
to SF2G
I'm still in and here's a link to the webcam at the top of Hamilton:

HAMCAM -->  https://mthamilton.ucolick.org/hamcam/

Yvonne Yip

May 9, 2016, 6:11:24 PM5/9/16
to Jeremy Yost, SF2G
I can't/shouldn't take the day off for this, but I'm potentially interested in YawyabNoomFlah. When's the rollout? :p

aamir ali

May 9, 2016, 6:48:34 PM5/9/16
to yky...@gmail.com, Jeremy Yost, SF2G
-0.5, have meetings I can't move that day, will try to join for YawyabNoomFlah.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Peter Colijn

May 9, 2016, 6:51:53 PM5/9/16
to Yvonne Yip, Jeremy Yost, SF2G
Hard to say exactly. Generally after I have had some real food somewhere in MTV :P Hopefully not later than 4:30 or so.

Dave Borowitz

May 10, 2016, 7:48:10 PM5/10/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, Yvonne Yip, Jeremy Yost, SF2G
Definite +1, strapping a power meter to my Brompton tonight.

Peter Colijn

May 10, 2016, 7:48:58 PM5/10/16
to Dave Borowitz, Yvonne Yip, Jeremy Yost, SF2G
Awesome! :)

bonnie

May 10, 2016, 9:00:14 PM5/10/16
to SF2G
Also restating my +1, will be getting on at 24th st.  See you tomorrow!

Alexandre Passos

May 10, 2016, 9:03:49 PM5/10/16
to bonnie, SF2G
Rearmost bart car as "usual"?

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 6:00 PM, bonnie <bon...@tmbox.com> wrote:
Also restating my +1, will be getting on at 24th st.  See you tomorrow!

---

 - Alexandre

Georgia Andrews

May 10, 2016, 9:35:50 PM5/10/16
to alexan...@gmail.com, bonnie, SF2G
Up to +.95, just got back to SF and hopefully I'll go to bed early enough.

Dave Borowitz

May 10, 2016, 9:43:40 PM5/10/16
to and.ge...@gmail.com, alexan...@gmail.com, bonnie, SF2G

I have to say, jetlag definitely helps with the pre-6am rollouts.

Jeffrey Axelrod

May 10, 2016, 11:41:01 PM5/10/16
to SF2G, and.ge...@gmail.com, alexan...@gmail.com, bon...@tmbox.com
+.95  from 24th/Mish @ 5:15 ..  charging up the lights now...

Peter Colijn

May 11, 2016, 12:02:46 AM5/11/16
to Jeffrey Axelrod, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, Alexandre Passos, bon...@tmbox.com
Does anyone know the route we usually take out of Dublin past the bagel place and on to Mines Rd? If not I will try to get it loaded up on my phone.

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 8:41 PM, Jeffrey Axelrod <jef...@cuttingcode.com> wrote:
+.95  from 24th/Mish @ 5:15 ..  charging up the lights now...

Alexandre Passos

May 11, 2016, 12:16:37 AM5/11/16
to Peter Colijn, Jeffrey Axelrod, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com
--
 - Alexandre

Peter Colijn

May 11, 2016, 12:49:46 AM5/11/16
to Alexandre Passos, Jeffrey Axelrod, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com
Sweet, you're navigating :)

Thomas Roessler

May 11, 2016, 1:09:00 AM5/11/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, Alexandre Passos, Jeffrey Axelrod, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com
You're neglecting the law of n+1.
Thomas Roessler  (@roessler)

Dave Borowitz

May 11, 2016, 8:29:01 PM5/11/16
to roes...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, Alexandre Passos, Jeffrey Axelrod, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com

Thanks everyone for waiting for me.  For a recap, my unfortunate experience was getting a flat around mile 12 on San Antonio Valley at the end of the group, only to realize I forgot the 15mm wrench to remove the nuts holding the wheel on. Naturally, there was no T-Mobile service there.

After what seemed like (and may have been) an hour of fiddling with my multitool and other exotic things like using my cleat as a wrench, I figured out I could take the multitool apart. I managed to rearrange various hex wrenches and washers until I got two wrenches jammed exactly the right distance apart to unscrew the nuts. Within half a mile of getting on the road again, I ran into the people who had come back to find me. I also got some help from two cyclists going the other way who were going to maybe inform the fire department or go get their cars to get me. Hopefully anybody who was looking for me figured out I was ok. (Lesson learned: I should probably buy the unnecessarily expensive Brompton toolkit that lives inside the frame.)

Beyond that, it was a little brutal dragging a 26lb folding bike up the mountain at 35rpm, and I didn't appreciate the bug that got stuck in my ear around mile 1, but overall I would rate it a successful (if eventful) ride.

Also, thanks Bonnie for the pro tip of the spring right before mile 3. I (and I'm guessing others) was low on water by that point so it was pretty key.

See everyone tomorrow!

Beckett Madden-Woods

May 11, 2016, 8:33:23 PM5/11/16
to Dave Borowitz, Thomas Roessler, caff...@colijn.ca, Alexandre Passos, Jeffrey Axelrod, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com
The tradition of epic mechanicals on this ride continues!
But seriously, nice work hauling that up the mountain. Incidentally, how does the Brompton handle on the descent? :)

Jeffrey Axelrod

May 11, 2016, 9:13:40 PM5/11/16
to Dave Borowitz, roes...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, Alexandre Passos, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com
Great ride today! Thanks all for the company and the adventures.
I got a flat 1 mile from SJ Caltrain. So missed the intended train; but got home nonetheless.

See you tomorrow!

________________
Jeffrey.

Alexandre Passos

May 11, 2016, 9:24:17 PM5/11/16
to Jeffrey Axelrod, Dave Borowitz, Thomas Roessler, caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com
Dave, you crushed it on those ups and downs :-)

I feel like if you keep this up you might get this brompton to be the one to see the most elevation out of any brompton.

Incidentally, as I'm sure you realized when we were not there after you tagged, caltrain conductor was cool with letting us board in san jose and tag in mtv.

Thanks for the ride everybody!

--
 - Alexandre

T. Allan Shortlidge

May 11, 2016, 10:34:16 PM5/11/16
to alexan...@gmail.com, Jeffrey Axelrod, Dave Borowitz, Thomas Roessler, caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com
It was a fun ride and a beautiful day. Props to Dave for crushing the whole thing on that Brompton!

- Allan

Ted Ketai

May 11, 2016, 11:19:38 PM5/11/16
to Dave Borowitz, roes...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, Alexandre Passos, Jeffrey Axelrod, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com
For future reference, if this happens again, you can usually patch a tube without taking the wheel off.

Dave Borowitz

May 11, 2016, 11:37:36 PM5/11/16
to Ted Ketai, roes...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, Alexandre Passos, Jeffrey Axelrod, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com

We discussed that possibility after the fact. I think with the tight clearance on the fender and brakes it would be tough. I think both can be removed...with a very similar wrench to the one I didn't have.

Ted Ketai

May 12, 2016, 12:24:51 AM5/12/16
to Dave Borowitz, roes...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, Alexandre Passos, Jeffrey Axelrod, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, bon...@tmbox.com
Hm, yeah, the brake pinch point can usually be overcome, hadn't considered fenders though. Hopefully it won't be an issue again!