FFFF - friday oct 5 - 0630 rrr - style NRLB

Peter Colijn

Oct 2, 2012, 1:59:06 PM10/2/12
to SF2G .
This is our monthly no-rider-left-behind ride (NRLB). I'll be sweeping
all the way to Google. If you are going somewhere else, and this is
your first time, you'll need to know how to get from our route
(http://sf2g.com/bayway.html) to your final destination.

We'll be leaving from Ritual Roasters, between 21st and 22nd on Valencia.

Leaving promptly at 06:30 -- show up at 06:15 if you want coffee/snacks/etc.

It's getting dark these days! Please bring blinkies!

If you're joining for the first time, awesome! Welcome! Here are some
helpful hints and tips for your first time:
http://sf2g.com/primer.html
http://sf2g.com/nrlb.html
http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html
http://sf2g.com/terms.html

See you on Friday!

David Goldsmith

Oct 2, 2012, 2:02:59 PM10/2/12
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G .
+1!

Guilherme Germoglio

Oct 2, 2012, 2:08:15 PM10/2/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com, caff...@colijn.ca, d...@dgolds.com
+1 (thanks for sweeping, Peter!)

Danny Wyatt

Oct 2, 2012, 2:10:48 PM10/2/12
to germ...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, caff...@colijn.ca, d...@dgolds.com
+1 on a steel bike with 36 spoke wheels and 42mm tires.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

jeremysabol

Oct 2, 2012, 2:43:26 PM10/2/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

Mark Kahn

Oct 2, 2012, 5:24:04 PM10/2/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

Margo Stern

Oct 2, 2012, 6:44:01 PM10/2/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

Georgia Andrews

Oct 2, 2012, 6:58:46 PM10/2/12
to margo...@google.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 to Foster City

+1

Ben Kochie

Oct 2, 2012, 11:28:23 PM10/2/12
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G .

+1

Andrew Song

Oct 3, 2012, 12:06:46 AM10/3/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 to FB

Scott Dier

Oct 3, 2012, 12:13:04 AM10/3/12
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G .

Matt Smart

Oct 3, 2012, 11:52:46 AM10/3/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

Felix

Oct 3, 2012, 12:17:20 PM10/3/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

David Borowitz

Oct 3, 2012, 1:08:31 PM10/3/12
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G .
+1 to GOOG.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:

--
It is better to be quotable than to be honest.
    -Tom Stoppard

Borowitz

Lexi Baugher

Oct 3, 2012, 1:20:10 PM10/3/12
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G .
+1

Jon Shlens

Oct 3, 2012, 4:53:53 PM10/3/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:46:00 AM UTC-7, Armand Navabi wrote:
+1. First time. Can't wait.

Yoyo Zhou

Oct 3, 2012, 5:30:56 PM10/3/12
to nav...@google.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1, for the best beginning of a touring trip ever.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Armand Navabi <nav...@google.com> wrote:
> +1. First time. Can't wait.
>

> On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 10:59:11 AM UTC-7, Peter Colijn wrote:

--
Yoyo Zhou

Carlin Eng

Oct 3, 2012, 5:31:44 PM10/3/12
to yoz...@gmail.com, nav...@google.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Woah where?!

Yoyo Zhou

Oct 3, 2012, 5:46:33 PM10/3/12
to Carlin Eng, nav...@google.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Eventually, that place that everybody goes to, Santa Barbara.

Otis

Oct 3, 2012, 6:21:25 PM10/3/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:24:38 AM UTC-7, Chris Henderson wrote:
+1

Kim Friedland

Oct 3, 2012, 7:44:35 PM10/3/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

BenrySF

Oct 3, 2012, 7:54:07 PM10/3/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

Andrew Stadler

Oct 3, 2012, 8:07:27 PM10/3/12
to SF2G

+1 from Martha's

Will be riding something very unique if everything works out.

Maciek Wojciechowski

Oct 3, 2012, 9:01:49 PM10/3/12
to SF2G .
+2

Mark Kahn

Oct 3, 2012, 11:57:29 PM10/3/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
as previously teased, this will be a BAKEWAY edition!

David Borowitz

Oct 4, 2012, 1:38:24 AM10/4/12
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G .
Turns out I have a 10am meeting that I'd like to be showered for, so I may have to pull a bit harder after the water stop, in case anyone wants to join.

Rebecca Bellovin

Oct 4, 2012, 1:47:02 AM10/4/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

Nathan Dushman

Oct 4, 2012, 12:55:38 PM10/4/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 from Blanken/Bayshore around 6:55 (or maybe Paul/Bayshore at 6:50ish).
If anyone wants to meet at La Stazione around 6:35 and ride down Third
together, let me know.

Nathan

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 09:19:00AM -0700, Will Strohl wrote:
> +1
>
> On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 10:59:11 AM UTC-7, Peter Colijn wrote:
> >
> > This is our monthly no-rider-left-behind ride (NRLB). I'll be sweeping
> > all the way to Google. If you are going somewhere else, and this is
> > your first time, you'll need to know how to get from our route
> > (http://sf2g.com/bayway.html) to your final destination.
> >
> > We'll be leaving from Ritual Roasters, between 21st and 22nd on Valencia.
> >
> > Leaving promptly at 06:30 -- show up at 06:15 if you want
> > coffee/snacks/etc.
> >
> > It's getting dark these days! Please bring blinkies!
> >
> > If you're joining for the first time, awesome! Welcome! Here are some
> > helpful hints and tips for your first time:
> > http://sf2g.com/primer.html
> > http://sf2g.com/nrlb.html
> > http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html
> > http://sf2g.com/terms.html
> >
> > See you on Friday!

Jen Shiu

Oct 4, 2012, 1:11:37 PM10/4/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1! +scones!

David Kardatzke

Oct 4, 2012, 1:37:23 PM10/4/12
to SF2G .
+2 to South San Francisco

Elliot Schwartz

Oct 4, 2012, 3:32:06 PM10/4/12
to n...@abtech.org, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 from La Stazione. Can we meet at 6:30 there? I'm a little slow.

Ramesh

Oct 4, 2012, 7:12:28 PM10/4/12
to elliot....@gmail.com, n...@abtech.org, sf...@googlegroups.com

+1 to Apple

I will be rockin' with my new Levi's GranFondo kit ;)

Nathan Dushman

Oct 4, 2012, 7:14:48 PM10/4/12
to Elliot Schwartz, sf...@googlegroups.com
No problem, see you there at 6:30.

Nathan

Scott Dier

Oct 4, 2012, 8:53:25 PM10/4/12
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G .
-1 still coughing regularly, when will this cold ever end.
--
Scott Dier <sc...@dier.name>

jeremysabol

Oct 4, 2012, 10:38:46 PM10/4/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
-1 Darned early meeting, I'll be there next month.

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:43:26 AM UTC-7, jeremysabol wrote:
+1

Geordy Kitchen

Oct 4, 2012, 11:46:27 PM10/4/12
to jsa...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

--
Geordy Kitchen / +1 650 862 2857

Viet-Trung Luu

Oct 4, 2012, 11:47:22 PM10/4/12
to geo...@google.com, jsa...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1, why not.

Willster Smalicious

Oct 5, 2012, 12:23:46 AM10/5/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

Midori

Oct 5, 2012, 8:14:12 AM10/5/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

Christine Ryan

Oct 5, 2012, 2:09:27 PM10/5/12
to egim...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to...

Peter C, for calling the ride and riding sweep

Judy and Mark, for the amazing baked goods

Ben, for giving up half his maple/bacon scone (I'll buy next time!)

Yoku (sp? in the Stanford kit) for the smooth pulls

and Caltrain, for being 10 minutes late to Menlo Park w/ the 9:14
(apologies for not waiting for the full group to arrive at the waterstop before taking off...was pushing it as is trying to catch that train...)

and thanks all for the ride!

p.s. Andy, where were you? Missed you and your promised surprise...hope all's well.

Ramesh

Oct 5, 2012, 2:12:36 PM10/5/12
to crya...@gmail.com, egim...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com

Fun ride. Happy Friday!!

Nathan Dushman

Oct 5, 2012, 3:10:25 PM10/5/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 11:09:27AM -0700, Christine Ryan wrote:
> p.s. Andy, where were you? Missed you and your promised surprise...hope
> all's well.

Andy, who was riding a StringBike (http://www.stringbike.com), generously
stayed back and helped a new rider fix a flat. Chase, I hope you made it to
Caltrain (and work) OK!

Nathan

Christine Ryan

Oct 5, 2012, 3:14:49 PM10/5/12
to n...@abtech.org, sf...@googlegroups.com
Wow--thanks for the update, Nathan...looks very cool, Andy! Will it be joining you on the ride regularly (I hope)?

Mark Kahn

Oct 5, 2012, 6:43:18 PM10/5/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com, egim...@gmail.com
You're welcome!  And let me echo the thanks to PfC II for sweeping...

Mark

David Kardatzke

Oct 5, 2012, 7:44:08 PM10/5/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I saw that bike and did not realize what was different. Will there be a product review Andy?

Andrew Stadler

Oct 9, 2012, 12:18:53 AM10/9/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Sorry for the late update.

Right, I was on a borrowed String Bike. A couple of you noticed it at
the tunnel road meet up. We all headed out together but Nathan and I
stopped to help new rider Chase with a flat (which took us two tries
to get right). By the time we reached the water stop most of you had
ridden out. And we stayed to eat delicious treats.

Product review.... It's an odd machine. I would call it a failed
experiment. The main annoyance was that it feels like an exaggerated
version of the 80's era elliptical chainrings. It feels normal when
you're in the power stroke (one or the other pedal moving downward),
but then as your pedals move through the top/bottom arc, they "slip"
through as if you're briefly in a lower gear. I didn't like it, I
felt like it was "popping" and it was a little uncomfortable.
Fortunately that feeling is greatly reduced in the higher gears (so
you don't notice it during the long cruise sections.)

Fun fact: If you pedal backwards, it still goes forwards.

I think a belt drive with an modern internal hub is probably a better
solution to the design goal of "no chain".

I'll try to bring it again on the next FFFF.

--Andy

djconnel

Oct 9, 2012, 12:24:04 PM10/9/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com