OT: Fwd: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In

Johan Beisser

Oct 11, 2012, 1:13:32 PM10/11/12
to SF2G

This is getting common...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: jservants <jeffse...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Subject: [potrero_neighbors] Garage Break-In
To: potrero_...@yahoogroups.com

Heads up, we had another garage break-in at 987 Rhode Island (cross-street at 22nd); this is the 2nd time in 2 years! I think the same people are probably coming back... they are only after bikes. My recommendation; don't leave bikes un-locked in your garage. Even locked, they will cut them, so it needs to be a BIG lock.

Thanks,
Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

Scott Dier

Oct 11, 2012, 1:17:17 PM10/11/12
to Johan Beisser, SF2G

Description of stolen goods?

Ben Kochie

Oct 11, 2012, 1:18:44 PM10/11/12
to j...@caustic.org, SF2G
Actually, the funny thing is it shouldn't be a big lock.  It should be the smallest possible U-lock.  Or heavy duty NYC chain and padlock.

Scott Dier

Oct 11, 2012, 1:21:24 PM10/11/12
to Ben Kochie, SF2G, Johan Beisser

Bolt something a chain can go through to the concrete floor plus a NYC chain. :-)

Ben Blizard

Oct 11, 2012, 1:24:20 PM10/11/12
to SF2G
Am I the only person here who sleeps with my bike in the bed?

But seriously, garage = unsafe.
Ben Blizard
Voice: (415) 692-1881

Scott Crosby

Oct 11, 2012, 1:25:47 PM10/11/12
to sup...@gmail.com, j...@caustic.org, SF2G
I'll probably get all my bikes stolen from my garage someday, but at least I will have the pleasure of catching it on video: dropcam.com

works great over wifi, has night vision, sound, etc. - DVR'd offsite.  makes a great baby monitor too.

locking up your bikes every day in the garage is a good idea, but as a practical matter it's just too much hassle for me.  (and storing them in the house is not an option at my n+1 level).

-sc

Johan Beisser

Oct 11, 2012, 1:26:06 PM10/11/12
to Scott Dier, SF2G

Christine Ryan

Oct 11, 2012, 1:31:09 PM10/11/12
to j...@caustic.org, Scott Dier, SF2G
Any word on how they got into the garage itself?

Sent from my iPhone.

Johan Beisser

Oct 11, 2012, 1:48:09 PM10/11/12
to Christine Ryan, Scott Dier, SF2G
Looking at the garage door, my guess is they shimmed the slat, and either hooked the trolly disconnect, or tapped the garage door opener button.

steve armijo

Oct 11, 2012, 3:40:00 PM10/11/12
to j...@caustic.org, Christine Ryan, Scott Dier, SF2G
Looks to me like it's a large common garage.  All it takes is one neighbor to be careless with their door.  :(

-s

Mark P Sullivan

Oct 11, 2012, 10:40:16 PM10/11/12
to st...@subgeni.us, SF2G
I don't store my bikes in my building's common garage at Harrison x 23rd, but someone stole a bunch of others a few days ago.

Yes, one neighbor's carelessness with a door is sufficient, but also sufficient is a neighbor's lack of rudeness to the guy who bikes / walks in after the car drives out.

--mark