Tue 10/9 - bayway expresso - RRR - 6:15am - style II/III

Elizeu Santos-Neto

Oct 8, 2012, 5:51:31 PM10/8/12
to SF2G
Ideally with Cortland (but, I'm fine skipping it).

No cats.

Not stopping for water.

-- Elizeu

mikesonn

Oct 8, 2012, 9:42:37 PM10/8/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Bayspresso is no Cortland but RRR usually implies Cortland. I'm up for either.

+1 See you at Ritual

Elizeu Santos-Neto

Oct 8, 2012, 10:10:53 PM10/8/12
to sonn.m...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification Michael (this is my first call on the list).

See you.

-- Elizeu

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM, mikesonn <sonn.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bayspresso is no Cortland but RRR usually implies Cortland. I'm up for either.
>
> +1 See you at Ritual
>
> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html | bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub: http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g

Darrin Ward

Oct 8, 2012, 10:41:44 PM10/8/12
to sonn.m...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
eh.  it implies the meetup point preference of the ride caller and not much more :)

i default to philz cause i cant drink espresso when i wake up.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM, mikesonn <sonn.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bayspresso is no Cortland but RRR usually implies Cortland. I'm up for either.

+1 See you at Ritual

Michael Sonn

Oct 8, 2012, 10:49:13 PM10/8/12
to Darrin Ward, sf...@googlegroups.com
True.

Mikesonn

Elizeu Santos-Neto

Oct 8, 2012, 10:53:45 PM10/8/12
to sonn.m...@gmail.com, Darrin Ward, sf...@googlegroups.com
Cool. Let's plan to include Cortland this time. :-)

-- Elizeu

PatrickG

Oct 8, 2012, 11:34:08 PM10/8/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+.5

Michael Sonn

Oct 9, 2012, 12:03:28 AM10/9/12
to Elizeu Santos-Neto, sf...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the two of us so whatever you'd like.

Also, I only go to RWC.

Mikesonn

Guilherme Germoglio

Oct 9, 2012, 12:03:50 AM10/9/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

Erik Sunden

Oct 9, 2012, 12:07:08 AM10/9/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

mikesonn

Oct 9, 2012, 12:12:45 AM10/9/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Never mind. Couple +1's. Mobile google groups needs a "subscribe to thread" button.

Erik Sunden

Oct 9, 2012, 1:47:02 AM10/9/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Side question from someone not too tech savvy... what is the best way to read all these threads on my mobile device?  Subscribe to the emails?  Any app available?

Eric Altendorf

Oct 9, 2012, 1:49:46 AM10/9/12
to erik.o...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
I subscribe to the emails and use the gmail app on the phone, which at
least keeps all the messages in one thread together, and lets you
"mute" threads you're not interested in.

The maillist volume is really high, and I suspect a better system could exist.

What would your use case be? Do you want to see all the called rides?
Or to pick rides you're interested in and follow the +1's and
discussion? Or to see all the other random discussion on the list?

eric

Elizeu Santos-Neto

Oct 9, 2012, 12:58:15 PM10/9/12
to erical...@gmail.com, erik.o...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for showing up on time and for the smooth ride.

Erik Sunden

Oct 9, 2012, 1:05:46 PM10/9/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com, erik.o...@gmail.com
I guess I like the option of just being emailed on the threads that I've +1'd.  The other topics and ride calls do make for interesting side reading at times. Thanks,
Erik

mikesonn

Oct 9, 2012, 1:16:46 PM10/9/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com, erik.o...@gmail.com
I get the "daily digest" but otherwise check ride calls the day before I feel like riding. When on my desktop (I use Chrome *pat on back*) I click the icon in the upper right to get emails from those rides I've +1'd. However, when I use mobile Safari, this option does not exist. I went looking for a Google Groups App or something, but there doesn't appear to be one.

Anyway, great ride this morning. Thanks for the call Elizeu.

Mike

Eric Altendorf

Oct 9, 2012, 7:02:03 PM10/9/12
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Erik Sunden <erik.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess I like the option of just being emailed on the threads that I've
> +1'd. The other topics and ride calls do make for interesting side reading
> at times. Thanks,

You could try subscribing to the list, and setting up a gmail filter
which auto-archives (skip inbox) things which are sent to the list but
not directly to you. I think everything would get archived except
those threads which you've +1'd to.

At some point maybe I'll collect a set of strategies for dealing with
the email load and post them to the website....

--eric

Scott Crosby

Oct 9, 2012, 7:27:04 PM10/9/12
to erical...@gmail.com, erik.o...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
seems like the passive nature of the inbox is the best way not to miss anything.  requiring one to actively pull up a webpage or calendar or something means you'll miss a lot.  I know people who even missed out on Barways, and thus their clever "web only" strategy backfired.  true sadness.

some techniques to consider:

1) definitely don't use your work email
2) archive a lot
3) "m"ute a lot of threads that don't interest you
4) for god's sake, use a threaded client like gmail on chrome (ios version is great)

we have considered the idea of moving ride calls to a web form, which would give us more/infinite options for disseminating the key info (and would mean that ride calls would more often contain all the necessary info):

- email to group
- calendar entry
- updated webpage with tomorrow's/this week's rides (which people could +1 to somehow)
- tweet to @sf2g
- post to strava as an event?

then again, the current system ain't that bad imho.

another option you might consider is a dedicated sf2g email address, which you could just keep open in a separate tab or browser.  100% bike action, all the time. scan it, archive/mute/delete/done.

yet another option might be a very lightweight sorta evite system, where everyone on sf2g is "invited" to every ride called, and you simply check a webpage and +1 to the rides that interest you.

dunno.

-sc

Eric Altendorf

Oct 10, 2012, 12:39:00 AM10/10/12
to Scott Crosby, erik.o...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> seems like the passive nature of the inbox is the best way not to miss
> anything. requiring one to actively pull up a webpage or calendar or
> something means you'll miss a lot. I know people who even missed out on
> Barways, and thus their clever "web only" strategy backfired. true sadness.

Yeah, well, different people have different priorities :)

> some techniques to consider:
>
> 1) definitely don't use your work email
> 2) archive a lot
> 3) "m"ute a lot of threads that don't interest you
> 4) for god's sake, use a threaded client like gmail on chrome (ios version
> is great)

For sure.

> we have considered the idea of moving ride calls to a web form, which would
> give us more/infinite options for disseminating the key info (and would mean
> that ride calls would more often contain all the necessary info):
>
> - email to group
> - calendar entry
> - updated webpage with tomorrow's/this week's rides (which people could +1
> to somehow)
> - tweet to @sf2g
> - post to strava as an event?
>
> then again, the current system ain't that bad imho.

Yeah, email works well as a common denominator, especially through
groups since some people just read stuff there (instead of their
inbox). Also, many of the alternatives suffer from the problem of how
to keep spammers out, which google-groups has already solved. My
proposed compromise was going to be to write a bot which scans the
group emails and parses ride calls and adds them automatically to a
publicly viewable SF2G calendar -- with links back to the google-group
thread so you could keep up on updates & action....but that is among
one of several dozen projects I have on time for. (Any appengine
volunteers out there?)