OT: Hawk Hill justice

Daniel Chao

Oct 2, 2012, 11:29:19 PM10/2/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com

This guy almost killed me and a couple of siteseers on Conzelman.  Misjudged the road when Conzelman turns goes to a single lane and this is what happened.  Glad nobody was hurt.  This guy got away easy in my book.  Could have been much worse had he missed left instead of right.

Daniel Chao

Oct 3, 2012, 1:19:26 AM10/3/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like the photo is not viewable by all.  Here it is again.

Eric Altendorf

Oct 3, 2012, 2:50:40 AM10/3/12
to daniel...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Hey now that's some skilled driving.

Out of curiosity, what kind of car is that?

Daniel Chao

Oct 3, 2012, 2:00:32 PM10/3/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com, daniel...@gmail.com
eric - i wondered the same thing and glanced over the car as i passed on my bike.  couldn't find anything recognizable (emblem, make, model, etc).  my car buff friend thinks it could be a mangusta.  if so, OUCH!  http://www.qvaleauto.com/car.htm

Nathan Davis

Oct 3, 2012, 2:04:34 PM10/3/12
to daniel...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
With any luck the car is totalled and they guy actually learned a lesson... probably not though.

-- Nathan

tho...@me.com

Oct 3, 2012, 4:18:34 PM10/3/12
On Oct 3, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Daniel Chao <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:

eric - i wondered the same thing and glanced over the car as i passed on my bike.  couldn't find anything recognizable (emblem, make, model, etc).  my car buff friend thinks it could be a mangusta.  if so, OUCH!  http://www.qvaleauto.com/car.htm

Never really figured out the whole "put a Ford V8 into an Italian sports car" thing... (see also the Pantera...)

-- thorpej

Scott Crosby

Oct 3, 2012, 4:23:58 PM10/3/12
to tho...@me.com, daniel...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
But it's ok with British cars? AC cobra, Sunbeam Tiger, etc.  I'm down with the practice (and Panteras are cool imo).

Was also wondering what that thing is, weird looking.

tho...@me.com

Oct 3, 2012, 4:41:31 PM10/3/12
to scr...@gmail.com, daniel...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 3, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But it's ok with British cars? AC cobra, Sunbeam Tiger, etc. I'm down with the practice (and Panteras are cool imo).

Ok, you got me there. Few cars are more awesome than the Sunbeam Tiger. And, yes, the Pantera is very cool. I'm pretty sure, among the saved bits of my youth stashed at my parents' house in Oregon, is a Matchbox De Tomaso Pantera.

-- thorpej

steve armijo

Oct 3, 2012, 4:45:39 PM10/3/12
to scr...@gmail.com, tho...@me.com, daniel...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
In the case of British cars 'merican motors are fine, better they take
the non-Lucas electrical systems. of course anything annointed by
Carol Shelby is just fine. interesting the Pantera/Mangusta
connection might explain the power plant decision.

i was also thinking it might be a Jag of some sort but I'm not that
familiar with their butts.

-s

Judd Blair

Oct 3, 2012, 4:56:25 PM10/3/12
to st...@subgeni.us, scr...@gmail.com, tho...@me.com, daniel...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
"I'm terribly sorry, I almost ran over a bunch of peds and cyclists...in my Jaaaagggg": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eWIrBOc3zE

But yeah, this is definitely a Qvale Mangusta - check out the badges to the left/right of the plate above the lights and the little lip holding the brake indicator light - it's also got the retractable hardtop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qvale_Mangusta_rear.jpg

Only 284 of those babies made...ouch.

Eric Altendorf

Oct 3, 2012, 4:59:45 PM10/3/12
to judd...@gmail.com, st...@subgeni.us, scr...@gmail.com, tho...@me.com, daniel...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Wow that's a hideous car (from the back, at least).

John Murphy

Oct 3, 2012, 7:24:24 PM10/3/12
to judd...@gmail.com, st...@subgeni.us, scr...@gmail.com, tho...@me.com, daniel...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
This begs to be on SFist !!!

Sent from my iPhone

StStein

Oct 3, 2012, 7:41:34 PM10/3/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Damn - Judd FTW.  Concours judging next?  ISO and Bizarrini also shoved American iron into much sleeker and lighter bodies than imagined by the pocket protector crowd in Detroit.

A Limerita on Friday's party car to anyone who can name the French car that came with a Chrysler V8?

Peter Chang

Oct 3, 2012, 7:46:12 PM10/3/12
to steven...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
2012/10/3 StStein <steven...@gmail.com>:
> A Limerita on Friday's party car to anyone who can name the French car that
> came with a Chrysler V8?

le car!

\p

Lina Mårtensson

Oct 3, 2012, 7:48:41 PM10/3/12
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:41 PM, StStein <steven...@gmail.com> wrote:
Damn - Judd FTW.  Concours judging next?  ISO and Bizarrini also shoved American iron into much sleeker and lighter bodies than imagined by the pocket protector crowd in Detroit.

A Limerita on Friday's party car to anyone who can name the French car that came with a Chrysler V8?

it probably wasn't a cv2.

Jonathan Hunt

Oct 3, 2012, 8:10:43 PM10/3/12
to d...@google.com, steven...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Facel Vega. Made famous by being driven my the asshole protagonist of Godard's "Weekend." (cabriolet version) (the Facel, not the Weekend).

To bad I will never see the party car again....

And, regarding Mr. Mangusta: How fast would you have to be going to leave those skidmarks? Perhaps the engineers out there can figure this out.

Steve Stein

Oct 3, 2012, 8:16:05 PM10/3/12
to Jonathan Hunt, d...@google.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Nice!  Too bad you can't claim your prize.  In truth you probably don't want a Limerita anyway.

Scott Crosby

Oct 7, 2012, 2:56:27 PM10/7/12
to steven...@gmail.com, Jonathan Hunt, d...@google.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
the other sweet Brit/US hybrid was the '60s TVR Griffith, again powered by Ford V8 power:

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/03/08/power-to-weight-1965-tvr-griffith-svra-racer/

and since Lina mentioned Citroën, there's of course the unusual French/Italian combo of the early 70s, the SM, the "M" meaning Maserati.  some souped up examples have exceeded 200mph.