OT: do I need to match MTB tube and tire diameters?

Nathan Dushman

May 1, 2012, 7:17:18 PM5/1/12
to SF2G
I'm planning to go mountain biking tomorrow afternoon with coworkers.
My mountain bike doubles as my city bike and it currently has 1.5"
slick tires with appropriately-sized tubes. I'm going to swap out the
tires for 2.2" ones with more tread. If I use the smaller diameter
tubes with the larger diameter tires, am I likely to be sad the first
time I hit a substantial bump?

Nathan

Ted Ketai

May 1, 2012, 7:19:45 PM5/1/12
to n...@abtech.org, SF2G

It probably will not fail immediately, but it's not the best.

Ben Kochie

May 1, 2012, 9:07:10 PM5/1/12
to n...@abtech.org, SF2G
The tubes probably say exactly what range they're supposed to handle.
Personally I would just grab a second set of tubes.