OT: advocating @roadid

Matthew Kenaston

Jan 29, 2016, 3:20:40 PM1/29/16
to SF2G
Thought you all might get a kick out of this:
http://www.roadid.com/Testimonial/TestimonialList.aspx?TID=401&SINGLE=true

photo credit to Lurch - StP 2015 (mile 100 or so)

Almost certain I can provide discount code to sf2g if there is interest. Damn shame I had to rely on mine, and thankful to have had it!

Georgia Andrews

Jan 29, 2016, 7:14:02 PM1/29/16
to Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
*interested*

Some of those testimonials are terrifying.

---

Women Who Code San Francisco City Director

Peter Colijn

Jan 29, 2016, 7:38:51 PM1/29/16
to Georgia Andrews, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
Yeah I've been thinking about this too.

Ken MacInnis

Jan 29, 2016, 7:48:35 PM1/29/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, Georgia Andrews, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
I've been checked into SFGH as a John Doe when I crashed out and they didn't look in my saddle bag for a wallet.

Plus there was no way I was remembering my then-gf's phone number, since it was stored in my phone.

Do it!

Laura Dollisson

Jan 29, 2016, 7:57:23 PM1/29/16
to ken.ma...@gmail.com, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G, Georgia Andrews, caff...@colijn.ca

I have one and I love it.  I also highly highly recommend the app as well. It's free and has other practical uses like letting people who are meeting up with you to track your progress.

Faye

Jan 29, 2016, 8:09:32 PM1/29/16
to SF2G, ken.ma...@gmail.com, matthew....@gmail.com, and.ge...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca
Sheesh, Matthew, I had no idea you were in such a serious crash, and so close to home!!  Hope you are better now!
I used to have a road ID, but I lost it and I always thought that while I kept paying for them to have the electronic file on me, that it was redundant since I carry an expired drivers license and an insurance card in my jersey pocket.  Do you guys really think the road ID is not redundant and is worth it?  If so, if you can get a discount, I might be interested in replacing my lost one, tho this time I would rather a necklace than a bracelet.

And Laura, does the app take a lot of phone battery power?  What do you use it for?

Christine Ryan

Jan 29, 2016, 8:41:05 PM1/29/16
to faye steiner, SF2G, Ken MacInnis, Matthew Kenaston, Georgia Andrews, Peter Colijn
I've got one. Maybe I should actually remember to wear it...

Yvonne Yip

Jan 29, 2016, 8:52:01 PM1/29/16
to Christine Ryan, faye steiner, SF2G, Ken MacInnis, Matthew Kenaston, Georgia Andrews, Peter Colijn
I have one of these: http://www.crashtag.me/

Made from titanium and in Santa Rosa (I think)!
I wonder if people will check for a necklace vs. bracelet, though.

Chris Butler

Jan 29, 2016, 9:05:29 PM1/29/16
to SF2G
Get in the habit of storing it looped around your helmet strap or something else that *always* goes with you on a ride.

That way you only have to remember one thing, which you’ve probably already trained yourself to remember.

Laura Dollisson

Jan 30, 2016, 12:04:04 AM1/30/16
to faye.s...@gmail.com, SF2G, Ken MacInnis, Matthew Kenaston, Georgia Andrews, Peter Colijn
Unless you have a "in case of emergency" contact on your expired license, I wouldn't think that it was redundant.

I use the app on battery save mode - and after a 4 hour ride, I'm still at 50% or more, but can't speak for all phones.  I ride and run by myself a lot, so I set it to alert my husband or a friend to let them know that I am running or riding.  They can follow-me via the link and know when I get safely home,  I'm new to the area so it helps to know that someone, even if miles away knows where I am running.

Occasionally I have set it so someone could time their meeting of me.

Try it out! It makes me feel safer - but I suppose, in all reality, it's not actually making me safer.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Faye <faye.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
Message has been deleted

steve armijo

Feb 2, 2016, 8:03:11 PM2/2/16
to matthew....@gmail.com, SF2G
wow!

I'd go for a discount.  I've had a couple.  I had a sport and elite.  The elite got stepped or or somehow bent and stopped staying on my wrist.  I wore the sport long enough or maybe i'm just corrosive enough that the reflective bits eventually turned brown and started peeling.

I've known people who also just went to PetCo or some such place and had pet tags engraved with their info in case of emergency.  RoadID certainly looks much more pro.

Years ago at ToC I was shooting pics of the peloton and noticed the RoadID text on some of their wrists were readable in some of the pics.  Unfortunately they had the 'Interactive version' and so my dreams of calling up the pro peloton and being best buds have never been realized.

-s