Words on bayway streets?

Peter Colijn

Feb 21, 2011, 5:35:16 PM2/21/11
to SF2G
Has anyone noticed odd words written on some of the streets along bayway?

I've noticed them for a while now and I'm curious if anyone knows what
they're for.

For example, on Bayshore (leaving the city in SF) I think the word
"Father" is written on the street. Then on Twin Dolphin I think it's
either "Come" or "Debts" (I've seen them both, just can't remember
which is Twin Dolphin). And finally on the Palo Alto Bayshore stretch
I think it's "Amen".

Anyone?

Peter

xton

Feb 21, 2011, 5:42:44 PM2/21/11
to SF2G
I've often wondered about those too. I assumed it was the Christian
"Lord's Prayer". Does anyone know the complete route that this
follows?

~Xton

Eric Altendorf

Feb 21, 2011, 7:20:15 PM2/21/11
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G
Yeah, never figured it out or pieced enough together to make a full
sentence. I don't think I've seen more than 5 or so distinct words...

> --
> store: http://sf2g.com/store.html | blog: http://blog.sf2g.com | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html | bike prep: http://sf2g.com/prep.html | unsub: http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g

Peter Chang

Feb 21, 2011, 8:46:13 PM2/21/11
to SF2G
Le 21 février 2011 17:38, murphstahoe <ta...@murphstahoe.com> a écrit :

>On Feb 21, 2:42 pm, xton <thisischris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've often wondered about those too. I assumed it was the Christian
>> "Lord's Prayer".
>
> thought so too until I saw debts. "Bread" is out there somewhere.

well, i think some variants have 'forgive us our debts' although i
can't recall any mention of 'bread'.

\p

Nathan Davis

Feb 21, 2011, 8:42:14 PM2/21/11
to ta...@murphstahoe.com, SF2G

I've seen debts for sure, always thought it was odd and likely something I wasn't cool enough to be privy to.

-- Nathan
Sent by a Droid

On Feb 21, 2011 5:39 PM, "murphstahoe" <ta...@murphstahoe.com> wrote:
> thought so too until I saw debts. "Bread" is out there somewhere.

murphstahoe

Feb 21, 2011, 8:38:58 PM2/21/11
to SF2G
thought so too until I saw debts. "Bread" is out there somewhere.

Danny Wyatt

Feb 21, 2011, 9:04:44 PM2/21/11
to tho...@me.com, d...@google.com, SF2G
And if that's the case, then we obviously need to map out a new Prayway route that covers the whole thing.

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Danny Wyatt <da...@arbitrary.com> wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've seen "name," too.

So, except for "father," those are all words at the end of lines in the lord's prayer.  And "father" is the only one that isn't right by the bay.  Maybe the entire prayer is written across the peninsula and we just see the line ends on bayway.

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Jason Thorpe <tho...@me.com> wrote:

On Feb 21, 2011, at 5:46 PM, Peter Chang wrote:

> well, i think some variants have 'forgive us our debts' although i
> can't recall any mention of 'bread'.

"...give us this day our daily bread..."

-- thorpej

Peter Chang

Feb 21, 2011, 9:25:54 PM2/21/11
to Jason Thorpe, SF2G
Le 21 février 2011 17:54, Jason Thorpe <tho...@me.com> a écrit :

> On Feb 21, 2011, at 5:46 PM, Peter Chang wrote:
>
>> well, i think some variants have 'forgive us our debts' although i
>> can't recall any mention of 'bread'.
>
> "...give us this day our daily bread..."

oh yeah. it's been a while :-)

Eric Altendorf

Feb 21, 2011, 8:47:24 PM2/21/11
to nad...@google.com, ta...@murphstahoe.com, SF2G
Huh. Turns out "debts" and "our debtors" are just an alternate
version of the Lord's Prayer.

"Though Matthew 6:12 uses the term debts, the older English versions
of the Lord's Prayer uses the term trespasses, while ecumenical
versions often use the term sins. The latter choice may be due to Luke
11:4, which uses the word sins, while the former may be due to Matthew
6:12 (immediately after the text of the prayer), where Jesus speaks of
trespasses. As early as the third century, Origen of Alexandria used
the word trespasses (παραπτώματα) in the prayer. Though the Latin form
that was traditionally used in Western Europe has debita (debts), most
English-speaking Christians (except Presbyterians and others of the
Reformed tradition), use trespasses. The Established Presbyterian
Church of Scotland, the Church of Christ, Scientist, as well as the
Congregational denomination follow the version found in Matthew 6 in
the Authorized Version (known also as the King James Version), which
in the prayer uses the words "debts" and "debtors"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Prayer

Jason Thorpe

Feb 21, 2011, 8:52:41 PM2/21/11
to ta...@murphstahoe.com, SF2G

On Feb 21, 2011, at 5:38 PM, murphstahoe wrote:

> thought so too until I saw debts. "Bread" is out there somewhere.

Well, there are a couple of variants (no doubt rooted in centuries-old translation glitches), right?

=> "...forgive us of our debts, as we forgive our debtors..."

=> "...forgive us of our trespasses, as we forgive those who have trespassed against us..."

..so I think Xton's assumption is probably correct.

-- thorpej

Jason Thorpe

Feb 21, 2011, 8:54:53 PM2/21/11
to d...@google.com, SF2G

On Feb 21, 2011, at 5:46 PM, Peter Chang wrote:

> well, i think some variants have 'forgive us our debts' although i
> can't recall any mention of 'bread'.

"...give us this day our daily bread..."

-- thorpej

Danny Wyatt

xton

Feb 22, 2011, 1:34:44 AM2/22/11
to da...@arbitrary.com, tho...@me.com, d...@google.com, SF2G
+1

Danny Wyatt

Mar 3, 2011, 2:51:30 PM3/3/11
to xton, tho...@me.com, d...@google.com, SF2G
Since we were talking about this morning---and I saw "bread" for the first time---I whipped up a map of all the ones I've seen and the best locations I could remember for them: