ot: garmin 500 auto pausing/auto resuming like crazy

Trinh

May 14, 2012, 5:10:57 PM5/14/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
anyone have the same problem? my garmin continually auto pauses and auto resumes during rides. i've changed the position of the garmin but the problem persists. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Ted Ketai

May 14, 2012, 5:12:52 PM5/14/12
to rutr...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
You need to ride faster than 2mph ;-)

Seriously though, did you somehow accidentally turn the auto-pause speed way up?

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Trinh <rutr...@gmail.com> wrote:
anyone have the same problem? my garmin continually auto pauses and auto resumes during rides. i've changed the position of the garmin but the problem persists. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Trinh Bui

May 14, 2012, 5:26:25 PM5/14/12
to Ted Ketai, sf...@googlegroups.com
there is 3 settings for auto-pause: none, when stopped, custom speed. my garmin is set to 'when stopped'.
--
My better half is walking to cure breast cancer. You can support her here: http://goo.gl/HQfGR

Steve Saeedi

May 14, 2012, 5:32:53 PM5/14/12
to rutr...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
That's usually an indication the wheel magnet has slipped a bit.

- Steve

On May 14, 2012, at 14:10, Trinh <rutr...@gmail.com> wrote:

anyone have the same problem? my garmin continually auto pauses and auto resumes during rides. i've changed the position of the garmin but the problem persists. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Ryan Anderson

May 14, 2012, 6:28:17 PM5/14/12
to sae...@gmail.com, rutr...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
I just set mine to "never". The only real difference is that my
average speed isn't a "rolling average speed", but I've only rarely
cared, to be honest. (Ok, sometimes there's a ridiculous lap time as
well, but again, who cares?)
--
Ryan

Trinh Bui

May 14, 2012, 6:29:06 PM5/14/12
to Steve Saeedi, sf...@googlegroups.com
i wish, my magnet is perfectly aligned with the sensor.

Jason Thorpe

May 14, 2012, 6:44:43 PM5/14/12
to rutr...@gmail.com, Steve Saeedi, sf...@googlegroups.com
Are you using "auto" for wheel size? If you are, don't.

-- thorpej
Sent from my iPhone.

Scott Crosby

May 14, 2012, 6:48:28 PM5/14/12
to tho...@me.com, rutr...@gmail.com, Steve Saeedi, sf...@googlegroups.com
are you using a magnet/sensor on your bike? if you are, don't.

(it's gps, don't need it)

Peter Chang

May 14, 2012, 6:54:06 PM5/14/12
to SF2G
2012/5/14 Jason Thorpe <tho...@me.com>:
> Are you using "auto" for wheel size? If you are, don't.

is this a 'wheel sensor' thing? i've noticed mine tell me that it's
figured out my wheel circumference but i have no idea why it cares
(i'm w/ scott on this one, why bother w/ the sensor around here unless
you're doing a lot of trainer rides).

\p

Rob

May 14, 2012, 6:56:59 PM5/14/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com
cause you ride in the hills where the gps signal sucks.  without the sensor i get the stupid thing auto-pausing up kings mtn, or telling me i'm going 3 or 6 mph when I know i am up around 10-12.

Judd Blair

May 14, 2012, 7:00:35 PM5/14/12
to rob...@manchero.org, sf...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, depending on where you're riding, GPS signal and drift can be a huge issue, and drift can happen even with full signal strength. Using the wheel sensor smooths out your data - you don't get weird max speeds on rides (minor annoyance), and you don't get weirdness like your speed jumping around when you have weak signal (like on airport 1).

Plus, cadence, if you care about such things.

Jason Thorpe

May 14, 2012, 7:08:49 PM5/14/12
to d...@google.com, SF2G

On May 14, 2012, at 3:54 PM, Peter Chang <d...@google.com> wrote:

> 2012/5/14 Jason Thorpe <tho...@me.com>:
>> Are you using "auto" for wheel size? If you are, don't.
>
> is this a 'wheel sensor' thing? i've noticed mine tell me that it's
> figured out my wheel circumference

Yes, but as soon as the sat reception gets spotty, you're screwed, because it then "re-calculates" the wheel size... badly.

-- thorpej

Ryan Anderson

May 14, 2012, 7:21:04 PM5/14/12
to tho...@me.com, d...@google.com, SF2G
I haven't noticed mine recalculate except near the beginning of a
ride, typically when I've moved my Garmin from one bike to another at
some point recently as well. (Presumably, a different speed sensor is
noticed and triggers it?)
Ryan

Peter Chang

May 14, 2012, 7:21:14 PM5/14/12
2012/5/14 Rob <rob...@manchero.org>:

> On Monday, May 14, 2012 3:54:06 PM UTC-7, Peter Chang wrote:
>>
>> 2012/5/14 Jason Thorpe <tho...@me.com>:
>> > Are you using "auto" for wheel size? If you are, don't.
>>
>> is this a 'wheel sensor' thing? i've noticed mine tell me that it's
>> figured out my wheel circumference but i have no idea why it cares
>> (i'm w/ scott on this one, why bother w/ the sensor around here unless
>> you're doing a lot of trainer rides).
>

> cause you ride in the hills where the gps signal sucks.

ok. i had just assumed that unless you were in a canyon the signal
wouldn't be that bad.

\p

Trinh

May 14, 2012, 10:58:25 PM5/14/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com, rob...@manchero.org
it was the magnet. the problem stopped after i took off the magnet. i am going to check the battery in the sensor. maybe it is low and not picking up every revolution.

tho...@me.com

Oct 8, 2012, 8:37:31 PM10/8/12
to gwoo...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, rob...@manchero.org

On Oct 8, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Gareth Woodall <gwoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have stumbled accross this as it happened to me yesterday. I too have thought it was battery related as it has only just started. I cleanded the magnet during the ride and ensured alignment which did not resolve the issue. I reckon it's down to the black unit sensor with the moveable arm that needs new battery.

Almost certainly. I replace mine about once per year, I'd reckon.

-- thorpej

djconnel

Oct 8, 2012, 8:55:04 PM10/8/12
to sf...@googlegroups.com, gwoo...@gmail.com, rob...@manchero.org
I don't bother with a wheel sensor.  But I don't care about max speed.  Strava ignores speed data, anyway: it takes distance and time.  If the Garmin uses wheel rotation for distance, that's fine, but does it?   If you pick up your bike and run with it does it report the distance assuming you've been using the wheel sensor?

Anyway, one less piece of stuff on my bike...

Peter Chang

Oct 8, 2012, 9:19:19 PM10/8/12
to djco...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, gwoo...@gmail.com, rob...@manchero.org

Le lundi 8 octobre 2012, djconnel a écrit :
 If you pick up your bike and run with it does it report the distance assuming you've been using the wheel sensor?

I think this would make for some awesome cyclocross tracks; it would drive the course matching insane! if you could control the wheel rotation it would be even better.

\p

Jason Thorpe

Oct 8, 2012, 9:38:17 PM10/8/12
to djco...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, gwoo...@gmail.com, rob...@manchero.org
It does, and prefers it to the less-accurate GPS data. Also nice for the incline (I.e. "why does this hurt so much?") reading.

-- thorpej
Sent from my iPhone.