Session Buddy v3.0

Hansifer

Apr 18, 2012, 7:30:38 PM4/18/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, I just wanted to post a quick note about the changes introduced in yesterday's Session Buddy release (v3.0).

While the release comprises too many updates to list comprehensively, the highlights are:

● Session Search

This is basic literal keyword search across session names, tab titles, and tab URLs. The search hides all non-qualifying session tiles in the navigation pane except for those that are selected prior to conducting the search. Search term matches are highlighted inline in the display for each session and a search status bar appears in order to indicate how many of each property type were matched (eg, "'google' matches 3 tab titles and 5 tab URLs").

● Multiple Session Selection

It is now possible to select more than one session at a time. This facilitates operations such as bulk session deletes, bulk session export, and session merging.

Multiple sessions can be selected in the following ways:

- Ctrl-click to select/deselect individual sessions
- Shift-click to select a range of sessions
- Click a session and drag up or down to select a range of sessions
- Click the icon that appears on a session group header (eg, "Saved Sessions") when you hover over it to select all displayed sessions in that group
- Hold down ctrl or shift while using the up/down key when the navigation pane has focus

● Session Merging

Selecting multiple sessions renders a combined view of all windows/tabs across the selected sessions. This combined view can be purged of duplicate tabs, edited, and saved as a new session. You may also merge and replace all the sessions comprising a combined view with a single session by clicking the Merge button that appears next to the Save button in the header of the session display area. A couple of new settings allow you to tweak if and how duplicate tabs are removed in a combined session view.

● Additional Changes

- Improved UX of the entire application, including overall responsiveness

- The display order of tabs in sessions can now be sorted (by title or URL)

- The list of Previous Sessions in the navigation pane can be limited to show only a subset of Previous Sessions. Tiles for older sessions can be accessed by expanding/collapsing this list.

- Session Buddy now automatically records the 30 most recent session, instead of just 10

- Saved sessions can now be renamed by clicking on the session title in the header of the session display area

- Session export now features a "Copy to Clipboard" button

- A number of new keyboard shortcuts have been added (see the Keyboard tab in the Settings dialog)

- A new setting has been added that allows for session tiles to be displayed in a more compact form, hiding session details

- A handful of new appearance-oriented settings have been added to tweak session display, including a tab title wrapping option

- The navigation pane width can now be adjusted (by dragging its edge)

- Session Buddy will now open correctly as an application shortcut or when Chrome is launched with an option to reopen the pages that were open last

- A Previous Session is now captured as expected when the last tab of a Chrome session is closed without ending the Chrome process (eg, on a Mac)

clm

Apr 30, 2012, 8:51:00 PM4/30/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Great Job!

Lan Pham

May 4, 2012, 9:24:42 PM5/4/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
indeed, great! Thank you!
 But was wondering how is the sync feature going? :)

Hans Meyer

May 4, 2012, 9:57:08 PM5/4/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the kudos!

Sync is on the way, but it'll be a while yet before it's complete.

Sony Sumal

May 9, 2012, 7:03:28 PM5/9/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
not sure if you covered this but when restoring sessions, I think it would be good to choose specific windows to restore instead the entire session arbitrarily.

Sony Sumal

May 9, 2012, 7:04:21 PM5/9/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
if I can mention how great your app is, love session buddy. so useful!

Anwar Ben Tanfous

Jun 5, 2012, 10:53:02 AM6/5/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Absolutly Amazing, thank you very much

mirkoslavko

Jun 21, 2012, 11:43:20 PM6/21/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Could you please consider my suggestion on change in session buddy options?

Session buddy ENDLESS AUTO SAVE option - to REPLACE CHROME HISTORY!

I posted it here today.

Thank you!

And sorry for writing you here like this (its my first time using this kind of forum).

M.

Sony Sumal

Jun 22, 2012, 5:24:19 AM6/22/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Amazing work! - Session Buddy is seriously an amazing application, the coding, aesthetics and functionality are outstanding.

Feature Suggestion - I thought of being able to restore only selected windows from a saved session. it may be unique to me but I end up having 10 or more windows open with average 5 tabs per window when I'm working. being able to close everything and only open the window+tabs that I need would help greatly!

Hans Meyer

Jun 22, 2012, 11:08:38 AM6/22/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate the praise and the suggestion. The feature you mention will be available in the next major release.

Cheers,
Hans

Philip Rhoades

Jun 22, 2012, 2:01:01 PM6/22/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

I may have asked for something similar in the past - my approach is a
little different - fewer screens but many more tabs eg six windows with
10-40 tabs each but still would like the same facility that Sony
mentioned.

Thanks for a great app!

Regards,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: ph...@pricom.com.au

mahmoud fawzi

Aug 28, 2012, 11:21:11 AM8/28/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Great Job

Moshe H.

Oct 17, 2012, 4:57:15 PM10/17/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I cant wait for this feature to be implemented it will be golden

Thanks

Rob Ryan

Dec 27, 2012, 2:45:43 AM12/27/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
It's a great program and a real relief to find it!

A couple of feature requests (assuming they don't already exist and I haven't simply failed to find them):
  • Be able, within the Session Buddy window, to label the windows, e.g., "Energy", "Python", "Mathematica"...
  • Be able to utilize the Session Buddy window to move a tab to another window.

Beatrice Embleton

Dec 31, 2012, 10:40:55 AM12/31/12
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Why does Session Buddy suddenly want to read and modify my bookmarks and access my data on favicon, etc? It was fine the way it was. What did you do to it? I am not pleased that I have to go out and find a new Session Buddy like thing that is not going to be as nosy.

Mike Walsh

Jan 5, 2013, 3:39:42 PM1/5/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Is there a way to get older versions of Session Buddy, specifically the last one before the minimum-Chrome-version-check was added (and set to 18)?

I have 3.0.17 and believe that the last one before the check was added was ~3.0.21 or 3.0.22. I tried searching for the .crx files for them but could find nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hans Meyer

Jan 7, 2013, 10:01:48 AM1/7/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
@Mike, the last version before the min-ver check was added is 3.0.20.

Assuming 3.0.17 is working fine for you, is there a particular reason why you need 3.0.20?

Hans

Mike Walsh

Jan 12, 2013, 2:13:27 PM1/12/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
> Assuming 3.0.17 is working fine for you, is there a particular reason why you need 3.0.20?

Nothing in particular; it’s just good to have the “latest”. I tried checking to see if there were any significant improvements to prompt updating it, but I could not find a changelog.

If it’s possible to get a .crx of 3.0.20 somewhere, that would be terrific. If it’s not possible, then no worries; even with the few shortcomings that may be addressed in newer versions, it’s still a very handy extension.

Thanks for the great work.

Cheers.

Hans Meyer

Jan 13, 2013, 10:19:17 AM1/13/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Not to be cheeky, but if it's good to have the "latest", why are you running such an old version of Chrome? Is this a situation where updates are managed by an IT dept?

Chrome won't let me pack pre-v3.1 releases into a .crx anymore since they're pushing manifest v2 now. There are ways around that but it's extra work. At any rate, given that v3.0.17 through v3.0.20 updates were exclusively addressing an installation issue with a specific version (23.0.1271.64) of Chrome, an upgrade is unnecessary in your case.

Cheers,
Hans
Message has been deleted

Mike Walsh

Jan 13, 2013, 6:12:13 PM1/13/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
> Not to be cheeky, but if it's good to have the "latest", why are you running such an old version of Chrome? Is this a situation where updates are managed by an IT dept?

That’s why I put it in quotation marks, because it is not *the* latest, just the latest possible. It’s not an enterprise issue; I just despise the later versions for many reasons, not the least of which is that the spell-checker has been completely non-functional for months. It’s the same with Windows; I still use XP SP1 as my main system because I hate several things about SP2+ (and Vista+).

> Chrome won't let me pack pre-v3.1 releases into a .crx anymore since they're pushing manifest v2 now. There are ways around that but it's extra work. At any rate, given that v3.0.17 through v3.0.20 updates were exclusively addressing an installation issue with a specific version (23.0.1271.64) of Chrome, an upgrade is unnecessary in your case.

No worries then. I just find it frustrating that in this day and age, files can still permanently evaporate into the æther so easily. Sadly it makes it easier for fascist like the Google devs to force people to update to the latest even if they include *bad* changes.

I’ll just stick with what I have on my old system and use the latest one on the laptop.

Cheers for the great extension.

Mike Walsh

Jan 26, 2013, 4:45:39 PM1/26/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Welp, I’ve now lost 3.0.17 as well. A stupid “feature” *cough*bug*cough* in Chrome that has existed since the dawn of time and up to the latest dev build wiped out all of my extensions.

Unfortunately, my latest CRX copy of Session Buddy is 2.1.2, so I am blasted back in time quite a bit. If Google refuses to provide any support for older versions and in fact makes it difficult for devs to do so separately, then I guess I am screwed. (I don’t know about you, but I used to have no support for older versions of my programs, then eventually when I ran into an issue or two, I started using an RCS.)

I’m going to have to waste the whole weekend scouring the Internet for a CRX, and more than likely end up settling for 2.1.2. :-(

Mike Walsh

Jan 26, 2013, 9:45:37 PM1/26/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Damn it! I’ve also lost all of my previous sessions because SB’s database format has changed from 2.x to 3.x or something, so when I re-installed 2.1.2, it wiped out my existing sessions. I really, really hate the Chrome devs. Why the hell does Chrome still wipe out extensions‽

Rohit Reddy

Jan 31, 2013, 2:17:45 PM1/31/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com

Hey,

One of my fav chrome extension.

Just asking out of curiosity, will you open source the source code?

If not can you please add a feature to add new websites from opened tabs to already saved session?

Thanks,
Rohit Reddy. Korrapolu

Hans Meyer

Jan 31, 2013, 7:39:32 PM1/31/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
No plans to open source the code, but I do plan to implement the feature you're requesting within the next few months.

Thanks,
Hans

Philip Rhoades

Jan 31, 2013, 8:00:07 PM1/31/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
SB,

On 2013-02-01 06:17, Rohit Reddy wrote:
> Hey,
>
> One of my fav chrome extension.
>
> Just asking out of curiosity, will you open source the source code?
>
> If not can you please add a feature to add new websites from opened
> tabs to already saved session?

+1

Thanks!

Phil.

Rohit Reddy

Jan 31, 2013, 8:17:24 PM1/31/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for quick response, will wait for the next version, any estimate of release date?

Hans Meyer

Feb 2, 2013, 1:28:09 AM2/2/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I have too much stuff going on to be able to provide a more definite target date at this time. Sorry that I can't be more specific.

Rohit Reddy

Feb 2, 2013, 7:46:40 AM2/2/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com

That's fine, will wait till then

ßÓb ßýérs

Mar 8, 2013, 9:33:54 AM3/8/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I just started using SB. I like it. I like it a lot! Very useful and simple (but not overly simplistic) interface.The *only* new feature I'd like to see is a sync capability - for use w/multiple computers. I see previous posts asking the same. I also see you've been too busy to work on SB. I'll stick w/SB for now in hopes you can find time to add sync! THANKS!

Hans Meyer

Mar 8, 2013, 10:34:45 AM3/8/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I've recently wrapped up my last project and plan to work full time on SB until sync and other major features are complete. I won't be seeking work outside of SB during this time unless I'm forced to for financial reasons.

So, I promise sync WILL be implemented. It will be sync of Current Sessions (ie, open tabs) as well as Saved Sessions. It will be opt-in and likely designated as a premium feature with a small annual cost to cover the server overhead and fund continued development and support (I don't want to resort to ads for this).

Hans

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM, ßÓb ßýérs <rmb...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just started using SB. I like it. I like it a lot! Very useful and simple (but not overly simplistic) interface.The *only* new feature I'd like to see is a sync capability - for use w/multiple computers. I see previous posts asking the same. I also see you've been too busy to work on SB. I'll stick w/SB for now in hopes you can find time to add sync! THANKS!

David Powelstock

Mar 8, 2013, 11:10:45 AM3/8/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
This is great news! I will happily pay for this feature!
Thanks,
David

Philip Rhoades

Mar 8, 2013, 9:14:14 PM3/8/13
On 2013-03-09 03:10, David Powelstock wrote:
> This is great news! I will happily pay for this feature!

+1
> --
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

Joe Kluch

Mar 27, 2013, 3:12:28 PM3/27/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible for you to implement the sync to go through something like google drive or dropbox?

Joe Kluch

Mar 27, 2013, 3:17:14 PM3/27/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
My thought is you could ask for a sync location, where the user can enter their dropbox/google drive folder, once set on each machine the plugin would look there for session data

Hans Meyer

Mar 27, 2013, 4:41:10 PM3/27/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
User data sync done right really requires a proper sync framework. Trying to tie it into a file synching service poses a number of technical challenges and limitations. Eg, you're basically limited to wholesale sync if your entire data graph resides in a single file. Such a system wouldn't be able to reliably reconcile two non-competing transactions across devices (eg, change session A on device B and session C on device D).

That said, I think there is an opportunity for Google Drive and/or Dropbox integration with respect to import/export functionality. I'd be interested in building something like that out, but it's not at the top of the priority list.

Cheers,
Hans

Message has been deleted

Pérsio Menezes

Mar 29, 2013, 10:29:38 PM3/29/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I've been reading the messages and I have understood you are planning to implement sync with Google Drive and/or Dropbox. But maybe you could use Chrome Sync, just like other tab savers just like "Tab Shutter" (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tab-shutter/foblfhmnbnejkppgafdeickmaampcbfl) and "TabMark" (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tabmark/ccnlpdoodckhmcemfkcnneelppjalcci

Thank you.

Hans Meyer

Mar 30, 2013, 4:56:52 AM3/30/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Persio. I am not planning to implement sync using Google Drive or Dropbox. I am developing my own sync backend.

I've looked at Chrome Sync. It is meant for a simple and small set of user data, so therefore less than ideal in this case.

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 2:29 AM, Pérsio Menezes <persio...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
I've been reading the messages and I have understood you are planning to implement sync with Google Drive and/or Dropbox. But maybe you could use Chrome Sync, just like other tab savers just like "Tab Shutter" (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tab-shutter/foblfhmnbnejkppgafdeickmaampcbfl) and "TabMark" (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tabmark/ccnlpdoodckhmcemfkcnneelppjalcci

Thank you.

Erec Toy

Apr 2, 2013, 5:18:05 AM4/2/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Really great extension, it's must have on chrome web store.

It would be better if allow us to add a new tab link to a saved session.

Hans Meyer

Apr 2, 2013, 5:37:44 AM4/2/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
You'll be able to do that in the next major release, due out in May.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Erec Toy <tong...@gmail.com> wrote:
Really great extension, it's must have on chrome web store.

It would be better if allow us to add a new tab link to a saved session.

Joe Kluch

Apr 2, 2013, 12:35:03 PM4/2/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Could you also allow for saving just one window as opposed to all of them?

My browsing habits cause me to have too many tabs open to read them so I start making windows based on what the tabs are for, then if I have more than 2 windows I take the window I don't use and save it (by itself) to Session Buddy.  In order to do that however I have to save all the windows, then delete the ones I'm going to keep open.  Then whenever I need to open that window again I can just go in and click it.

TL;DR I'd like to be able to save individual window sessions not just browser sessions.

Hans Meyer

Apr 3, 2013, 4:07:15 AM4/3/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
@Joe: Yes, I'm planning to add support for that as well.

nabi....@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2013, 12:51:46 AM4/4/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
hello
I need save my tabs and also their tree structure . when I save an session after restore I have my tabs all in a branch and  loss my tree structure .

nabi....@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2013, 1:08:34 AM4/4/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
hello
I need save my tabs and also their tree structure . when I save an session after restore I have my tabs all in a branch and  loss my tree structure . I should explain that I have Tabs Outliner Add-on and it shows me all my tabs in a tree structure .

Hans Meyer

Apr 5, 2013, 2:23:24 PM4/5/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Session Buddy and Tabs Outliner store tabs using different structures in individual data stores that external extensions are not privvy to.

nabi....@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2013, 1:10:11 AM4/6/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
hello and really thank you of kindness and time you spend to me.
sorry but I did not understand what you mean . I explain that I use firefox . with firefox I use tow Add-on the first is tab tree manager and second is session manager . in firefox all thing is good and I have many session saved and every time I need on of them open it and I have my tab and also my tree structure also .
but in chrome after spending many hours I find tow Add-on they help me I have my session in my favor . Two other session manager Add-on in chrome exist but they are not as good as session buddy . The only difficulty I have with session is that it do not save hierarchy or tab tree structure of my session .  I need solving this problem . If you know another way  or another add-on help me I will be very glad .
again really thank you .

Hans Meyer

Apr 6, 2013, 4:15:49 AM4/6/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Session Buddy may support link hierarchies in the future, but currently it does not.

nabi....@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2013, 6:26:09 AM4/6/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I hope it be the next version may it ?

Hans Meyer

Apr 6, 2013, 7:06:44 AM4/6/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Not likely. Possibly the version after the next.

Erik Sandberg

Apr 30, 2013, 3:12:44 AM4/30/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
The shiny new Google Drive SDK is pretty sweet. It seems unnecessary to me to write your own backend. But of course, you've thought about this a lot more than I have. I just thought I'd put in a recommendation for that.

Hans Meyer

Apr 30, 2013, 3:44:07 AM4/30/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Erik. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I will.

Hans

Bassem Dghaidy

May 21, 2013, 10:14:41 AM5/21/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Why no one is mentioning a sharing feature?

There's a huge need to share a session with another person either via email or other means...

If you need help implementing that even on an architectural level, I'm ready..

Erik Sandberg

May 21, 2013, 2:31:07 PM5/21/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com

Sharing is already easy. You can just export and email a list of URLs.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Session Buddy Discussion" group.

Bassem Dghaidy

May 21, 2013, 8:31:59 PM5/21/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Irrelevant. Session Buddy should bundle the URLs in a single data package that can be shared across social networks, email and multiple other channels.
I think if this feature is added to the tool it will take it to a whole new level.

Cheers,
Bassem

On Saturday, March 30, 2013 1:56:52 AM UTC-7, Hansifer wrote:
Thanks Persio. I am not planning to implement sync using Google Drive or Dropbox. I am developing my own sync backend.

I've looked at Chrome Sync. It is meant for a simple and small set of user data, so therefore less than ideal in this case.

David Powelstock

May 21, 2013, 10:10:44 PM5/21/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Bassem" There's a huge need to share a session with another person either via email or other means..."

Then Erik tells you how to do exactly that, and you respond, "Irrelevant"? Besides being incoherent, you're being a jerk about it to a developer who is providing you with the product for free. Jeez.

And I, for one, doubt that there is a "huge need" for a sharing feature any more sophisticated than the current export option. I hope Erik will devote his efforts instead to the sync functionality he's been planning, the one in which so many longtime users have expressed interest in this thread.

Thanks again, Erik, for Session Buddy!

Cheers,
pstock

Erik Sandberg

May 22, 2013, 1:03:08 AM5/22/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the defense pstock. I wasn't really sure how to respond to Bassem. I'm easily overwhelmed by all the stupidity on the Internet.
Also, I have to set the record straight: I'm not a developer for Session Buddy, just a fan.

Faithfully,
Erik Sandberg

Hans Meyer

May 22, 2013, 5:42:48 AM5/22/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Delivery notwithstanding, I do agree with Bassem's point that sharing can be improved. It's one of the things I intend to work on. But to David's point, I'm hell bent on getting sync working so that is taking precedence over everything else until it's done.

Cheers guys,
Hans

Tippy

May 24, 2013, 7:49:01 AM5/24/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

I want to thank you for this amazing extension!

I have 2 questions:

1) Can you restore also the back/forward history for each tab?

2) How often does SessionBuddy save a backup session? On some ocasions I felt that I've lost some incognito tabs, upon restore.

(Yes I use this extension in incognito mode also, in order to recover incognito tabs.)

I'm using lots of tabs, and Chrome tends to crash on various occasions.

Hans Meyer

May 24, 2013, 4:07:38 PM5/24/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tippy.

Answers to your questions:

1) Not yet. The Chrome API's to support this are currently in development. I plan to take advantage of them as soon as they're complete.
2) A backup session is generated every time you start up Chrome and should be representative of the state of open tabs when Chrome was last closed.

Hans

Zak Dung

May 30, 2013, 8:09:18 PM5/30/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I lost my all saved sessions of session buddy while scanning my computer. I use windows xp. There was some important websites. How can I get back all these? Help please.

Tippy

Jun 17, 2013, 1:38:11 PM6/17/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
One more thing. Do you think that you could highlight somehow the windows that are incognito, in session buddy's window?
I'm using it in incognito mode also, and I'd like to identify easily which window is of incognito type.

Hans Meyer

Jun 17, 2013, 3:46:24 PM6/17/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hans

Kiril Menshikov

Jul 14, 2013, 1:21:48 PM7/14/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com, moshe...@gmail.com
Found this
Session Box
looks like new version of Session Buddy with synchronization
is this true?

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Lan Pham <he...@lanooz.net> wrote:
indeed, great! Thank you!
 But was wondering how is the sync feature going? :)

Kiril Menshikov

Jul 14, 2013, 1:56:51 PM7/14/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Ops incorrect link.
Correct one:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/session-box-tabs-manager/pljdghaomjmmleolekcgcamfpbhekbmc/details?hl=en

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Tippy <tippyt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Hans,

I want to thank you for this amazing extension!

I have 2 questions:

1) Can you restore also the back/forward history for each tab?

2) How often does SessionBuddy save a backup session? On some ocasions I felt that I've lost some incognito tabs, upon restore.

(Yes I use this extension in incognito mode also, in order to recover incognito tabs.)

I'm using lots of tabs, and Chrome tends to crash on various occasions.

Tracy Nance

Jul 15, 2013, 6:07:22 PM7/15/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Just started using and love the extension -- I'm wondering if it's possible to organize saved sessions hierarchically into folders (e.g. work, home, etc)? If not, feature suggestion :)

thanks for the app,
Tracy

Hans Meyer

Jul 15, 2013, 6:33:44 PM7/15/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tracy.

Not yet, but it's planned.

Cheers,
Hans

charl...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2013, 6:56:24 PM7/21/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I cannot open Session Buddy. The icon is still on my toolbar, but when I click it, the SB home page pops up.

SB is still listed on my extensions list, but I cannot find a way to activate it.

Thanks for any help.

Hans Meyer

Jul 22, 2013, 1:58:17 AM7/22/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
What happens when you try to open SB options?

Charles Crettier

Jul 22, 2013, 9:53:32 AM7/22/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply Hans. When I drop the SB menu and click on Options, a new tab pops up with a Web Page Not Found message.

Hans Meyer

Jul 22, 2013, 10:24:53 AM7/22/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles, try re-installing Session Buddy, but make sure to save your SB data file first so you can port it to the new install.

See:

Let me know how that goes.

Hans

Charles Crettier

Jul 22, 2013, 2:17:00 PM7/22/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Hans. Back in service. Got a little confused the first try, but I was over thinking the instructions.

I was concerned because I had 92 tabs open with pending actions on many. Any idea of what might have caused the glitch?

Charles

Hans Meyer

Jul 22, 2013, 4:25:43 PM7/22/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
No idea. It sounds like the issue was at the Chrome level, outside the scope of SB.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Cheers,
Hans

Charles Crettier

Jul 22, 2013, 7:43:40 PM7/22/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again for guiding me through the desert Hans.

Charles

Scott Marquardt

Jul 26, 2013, 4:27:23 PM7/26/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I too will be overjoyed to see sync/cloud storage of sessions.

Occasional loss of past sessions has been a real bummer.

That's the problem, Hans -- you create something great and then we all belly-ache that it ain't perfect.

That'll teach ya to come so close to the mark.   ;-)

twe...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2013, 2:39:43 PM7/29/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com

hi hansifer,pass few days im having problem with my session buddy today i un-install my SB and re-install it again but i found my old saved session missing....
i followed your steps to restore my saved session but once i select the restore previous version it shows 'There are no previous version available.....Please help me to overcome this...

Progeny 2501

Sep 18, 2013, 10:07:17 PM9/18/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
pretty sure this should be a new post. It's pretty buried here

Misbah Azeez

Dec 17, 2013, 1:30:06 PM12/17/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thank so much ! I really like using this... i just have one problem, since i am a merson who likes things orgainzed into folders and stuff... is there anyway this can be integrated with bookmark manager where u can book mark all the tabs or the sessions synced to a mail account ?

Rick Stevens

Dec 17, 2013, 2:05:03 PM12/17/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com

I would suggest as others have that you make more granular naming conventions for your sessions like "recipes 5, desserts 3" or "life hacker 15, scripts and apps 7". Each of these could be shortened using whatever notation you like but keep a "general N, specific M" format for various site URLs, or project names if the topic covers multiple domains--again broken up by some sort of organizing principle like "Introductions", "alternatives", or "new developments". A better tool for keeping up with new things as they come online is Google Alerts, but once again you can port these things into session buddy for safekeeping.

    There is a tab organizer app which makes organizing the tabs prior to saving them easier. Then all you have to do is search a keyword or two and you'll find it.

    Or if you know specifically what you wanted it might be within the URL or the tab name (though I've noticed that the URL doesn't generate a name for SB until you visit that tab)

On Dec 17, 2013 10:30 AM, "Misbah Azeez" <misba...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank so much ! I really like using this... i just have one problem, since i am a merson who likes things orgainzed into folders and stuff... is there anyway this can be integrated with bookmark manager where u can book mark all the tabs or the sessions synced to a mail account ?

Philip Rhoades

Dec 21, 2013, 5:47:55 AM12/21/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
People,

Is the ability to sort saved sessions on the drawing board? - this would
be very useful for me with the naming convention I use which results in
LOTS of sessions . .

Regards,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: ph...@pricom.com.au

Hans Meyer

Dec 22, 2013, 8:46:51 AM12/22/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
No, that feature's not currently scoped, but I agree it's a useful one.

[2].

Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001
Australia
E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au

Balamurugan Kannappan

Dec 22, 2013, 10:13:43 AM12/22/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Today I lost my session buddy saved sessions and all unsaved session.What i did is first i uninstalled and installed it back because it was not working.

Hans Meyer

Dec 23, 2013, 8:23:26 AM12/23/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
@Balamurugan:

You may need to "port" your old data file after re-installing. See the following for more details:

Location of Google Chrome Session Buddy data files

Philip Rhoades

Dec 23, 2013, 8:54:21 AM12/23/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

Another thing that would be really useful for me:

- My workstation backup happens between midnight and 1am

- I find if Chrome (mainly) and some other apps are closed down, a lot
of CPU and Disk I/O is reduced and my backups take about 10 minutes
instead of 30-40 minutes

Would it be possible for SB to do an auto backup at a set time, to say a
session name like "AutoBackup_20131224" and then close Chrome down?

Thanks,

Phil.
>> sessionbuddy-dis...@googlegroups.com.
>> [2]
>> [2].
>>
>>  --
>> [2] [2].
>> [1]
>> [2] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out [2]
>
> --
> Philip Rhoades
>
> GPO Box 3411
> Sydney NSW      2001
> Australia
> E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au

Hans Meyer

Dec 29, 2013, 9:19:02 AM12/29/13
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
An extension can't shut down the browser.

However, if you implement a scheduled browser shut-down some other way, SB will automatically save the state of your open tabs at the time of the shutdown in the most recent Previous Session.

[2]
[2].

[2] [2].

Links:
------
[1]

[1]
[2] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out [2]

 --
 Philip Rhoades

 GPO Box 3411
 Sydney NSW      2001
 Australia
 E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au

Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001
Australia
E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au

Philip Rhoades

Jan 13, 2014, 1:58:19 AM1/13/14

On 2013-12-30 01:19, Hans Meyer wrote:
> An extension can't shut down the browser.

This extension seems to be able to do it?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shutdown-timer-for-google/oopamejcljfijekeapcknghfehoflacd/reviews

> However, if you implement a scheduled browser shut-down some other
> way, SB will automatically save the state of your open tabs at the
> time of the shutdown in the most recent Previous Session.

I would prefer to have deliberate control over the session saves.

Thanks,

Phil.
>> sessionbuddy-dis...@googlegroups.com.
>> [2]
>> [2]
>> [2].
>>
>>  --
>> [2]
>> [2] [2].
>>
>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1]

>> [1]
>> [1]
>> [2] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out [2] [2]
>>
>>  --
>>  Philip Rhoades
>>
>>  GPO Box 3411
>>  Sydney NSW      2001
>>  Australia
>>  E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au
>>
>>  --
>> [2] [2].
>>
>>  --
>> [2] [2].
>>
>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1]

>> [1]
>> [2] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out [2]
>
> --
> Philip Rhoades
>
> GPO Box 3411
> Sydney NSW      2001
> Australia
> E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au

Hans Meyer

Jan 13, 2014, 3:26:35 AM1/13/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Extensions can close tabs. This extension simply closes all open tabs. This may or may not lead to shutting down the browser. Eg, it won't if you have "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" checked in settings or if you are on a MAC.

That said, I hadn't considered that closing all tabs might sufficiently suit your needs. This will trigger a Previous Session save even if the browser doesn't shut down.

Hans

[2]
[2]
[2].

[2]
[2] [2].

Links:
------
[1]

 --
 Philip Rhoades

 GPO Box 3411
 Sydney NSW      2001
 Australia
 E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au

[2] [2].

[2] [2].

Links:
------
[1]

[1]
[2] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out [2]

 --
 Philip Rhoades

 GPO Box 3411
 Sydney NSW      2001
 Australia
 E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au

Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001
Australia
E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au

Philip Rhoades

Jan 13, 2014, 5:29:16 AM1/13/14

On 2014-01-13 19:26, Hans Meyer wrote:
> Extensions can close tabs. This extension simply closes all open tabs.
> This may or may not lead to shutting down the browser. Eg, it won't if
> you have "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is
> closed" checked in settings or if you are on a MAC.

Linux (Fedora).

> That said, I hadn't considered that closing all tabs might
> sufficiently suit your needs. This will trigger a Previous Session
> save even if the browser doesn't shut down.

OK, I might give it a shot - I'll let the list know how it goes.

Thanks,

Phil.

> Hans
>
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Philip Rhoades <ph...@pricom.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Hans,
>>
>> On 2013-12-30 01:19, Hans Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> An extension can't shut down the browser.
>>
>> This extension seems to be able to do it?
>>

> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shutdown-timer-for-google/oopamejcljfijekeapcknghfehoflacd/reviews
>> [1]
>> [2]
>> [1]
>> [1]
>> [1].
>> sessionbuddy-dis...@googlegroups.com.
>> [3]
>> [2]
>> [2]
>> [2].
>>
>>  --
>> [3]
>> [2]
>> [2] [2].
>>
>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1]

>> [2]
>> [1]
>> [1]
>> [2] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out [3] [2] [2]
>>
>>  --
>>  Philip Rhoades
>>
>>  GPO Box 3411
>>  Sydney NSW      2001
>>  Australia
>>  E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au
>>
>>  --
>> [3]
>> [2] [2].
>>
>>  --
>> [3]
>> [2]
>> [1]
>> [2] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out [3] [2]
>>
>>  --
>>  Philip Rhoades
>>
>>  GPO Box 3411
>>  Sydney NSW      2001
>>  Australia
>>  E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au
>>
>>  --
>> [3] [2].
>>
>>  --
>> [3] [2].
>> [2] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out [3]
>
> --
> Philip Rhoades
>
> GPO Box 3411
> Sydney NSW      2001
> Australia
> E-mail:  ph...@pricom.com.au
>
> --
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shutdown-timer-for-google/oopamejcljfijekeapcknghfehoflacd/reviews
> [2]
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sessionbuddy-discuss/N0KxxedzUEg/unsubscribe
> [3] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

Philip Rhoades

Jan 15, 2014, 2:00:09 AM1/15/14

On 2014-01-13 21:29, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Hans,
>

> On 2014-01-13 19:26, Hans Meyer wrote:
>> Extensions can close tabs. This extension simply closes all open tabs.
>> This may or may not lead to shutting down the browser. Eg, it won't if
>> you have "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is
>> closed" checked in settings or if you are on a MAC.
>

> Linux (Fedora).
>

>> That said, I hadn't considered that closing all tabs might
>> sufficiently suit your needs. This will trigger a Previous Session
>> save even if the browser doesn't shut down.
>

> OK, I might give it a shot - I'll let the list know how it goes.

The other reason that extension wasn't useful for me was because it only
allowed a shutdown time delay for set periods depending on the number of
clicks - I wanted to set a shutdown time ie 23:55 - just before my
backups start. I contacted the guy and he is going to have a go at
putting in a set time option - we'll see what happens . . of course
closing all tabs at a set time could be something that gets built into
SB . . ? - add it to your list?

Regards,

Phil.

Hans Meyer

Jan 15, 2014, 7:01:03 AM1/15/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
It's an interesting thought, but my gut reaction is that this is probably not appropriate functionality for a link/session manager.

Philip Rhoades

Jan 15, 2014, 10:30:12 AM1/15/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

Yep, no worries - I'll keep harassing the guy who is in that business
already.

Regards,

Phil.
> send an email to sessionbuddy-dis...@googlegroups.com.
>
> --
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

rasqual

Jan 21, 2014, 2:25:12 PM1/21/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
I heard a rumor that the sync version will be out in a month or so. Any truth to that?

- S
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sessionbuddy-discuss+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Hans Meyer

Jan 27, 2014, 1:47:55 PM1/27/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
No, unfortunately not. I've had a few setbacks lately compromising my SB bandwidth. I should be able to focus on it full-time again within a couple of weeks. I've made a lot of progress on it, but there are still a lot of pieces to complete.

I appreciate your interest and your patience. Hang tight!

Hans

Rick Stevens

Apr 30, 2014, 12:35:42 AM4/30/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
How's the work coming?

I'm also interested in an option for "delete other windows" within a session, since oftentimes i will automatically break windows up over topic--even if i have to save, then delete n tabs to the right, merge, repeat until i have parsed them all accordingly.

Though truly, such a tool might only be great in conjunction with a "overwrite current with"-- the inverse of overwrite with current.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Session Buddy Discussion" group.

Hans Meyer

Apr 30, 2014, 2:20:14 PM4/30/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
The work is progressing nicely.

Thanks for the additional feature suggestion. I'll give that some thought.

Hans

mIMo proHOdila

May 28, 2014, 1:04:27 PM5/28/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for this extension. It is really very usefull. But i have one question. May be it was discussed earlier, i didn't read all . Are you going to realize in nearest future such function as manually adding links to saved session? Thank you for your answer.

Hans Meyer

May 28, 2014, 3:43:24 PM5/28/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
@mIMo Yes, that will be included in the next release.

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM, mIMo proHOdila <mimo.pr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks a lot for this extension. It is really very usefull. But i have one question. May be it was discussed earlier, i didn't read all . Are you going to realize in nearest future such function as manually adding links to saved session? Thank you for your answer.

Kratos

Jul 10, 2014, 5:59:31 PM7/10/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Is there any plan to bring Session Buddy extension to Opera 20+ browser?

Currently I have to use a special "Download Chrome Extension" to install Session Buddy in Opera but I would like to see this extension in the official Opera Extension site.

Thank you.

Hans Meyer

Jul 10, 2014, 8:08:28 PM7/10/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
There is a plan to port SB to FF and Safari. The effort for Opera hasn't been scoped, but it will likely happen concurrently with FF and Safari releases as we anticipate the effort for Opera to be relatively smooth and straight-forward.

Kratos

Jul 10, 2014, 10:14:35 PM7/10/14
to sessionbud...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info.