Rhizome database locked ==> MDP packets delays

®om

May 29, 2013, 9:08:09 AM5/29/13
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes, Rhizome prints this kind of trace:
rhizome_database.c:1606:rhizome_is_bar_interesting()  query failed (5), database is locked: SELECT id, version FROM manifests WHERE id like ? and version >= ?

Just after that, I see a lot of buffer underrun in my walkie-talkie (packets arrive in late, then audio communication don't work), with a quite huge delay: MDP packets seem "blocked" when rhizome is blocked. If I don't use Rhizome for sharing anything and only use the walkie-talkie, it works.

Are Rhizome sql access in the same thread as the one handling MDP packets?

What do you think?

Jeremy Lakeman

May 29, 2013, 9:12:37 AM5/29/13
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is a known problem. We need to shift rhizome out of the main serval packet routing thread. And we need to implement an efficient synchronisation protocol so we don't have to keep checking if content is new & interesting.

Andrew Bettison

May 30, 2013, 7:58:12 PM5/30/13
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com

Andrew Bettison
Senior Software Engineer
and...@servalproject.org | Mobile +61 407185656 | Skype ajbettison

®om

Aug 12, 2013, 7:34:54 AM8/12/13
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Reference to a Rhizome parallelization implementation: https://github.com/servalproject/serval-dna/pull/68

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Aug 13, 2013, 4:29:17 AM8/13/13
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rom,

I am sure Jeremy has more to add, but we have been planning to separate Rhizome out for a while.  I think in the longer term we want to put it in a separate process to avoid residual inter-thread locks, but this is great to see.

Paul.