mesh extender firmware update

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Oct 31, 2014, 1:07:08 AM10/31/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

After a bit of poking around, we have found and fixed the problems with the mesh extenders not talking to each other:

1. OpenWRT does strange things with adhoc on 10.64/10, so we have gone back to 10.0.0.0/8 for now.
2. There was a significant regression in servald that prevented multi-interface operation from working.

Please try rebuilding and installing the firmware now, and advise of any remaining problems.

Paul.

Claes Giljegard

Oct 31, 2014, 5:26:25 AM10/31/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

That sound great.
I will give it a new try on Sunday.

/Claes

Claes Giljegard

Nov 2, 2014, 4:18:12 PM11/2/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I made a pull, make, gather, populate and reflash on my two mr3020.

I think the sysupgrade in reflash saves all configfiles because i get the same network.template as before. I can see that it is modified in image-files but it will not change on the router after the flash.
The log seems to hint something like that:

claes@dellUbuntu:~/serval/mesh-extender-builder$ ./reflash-mesh-extender 192.168.2.1
spawn telnet 192.168.2.1
Trying 192.168.2.1...

send: spawn id exp6 not open
    while executing
"send "cat <<EOF >/etc/dropbear/authorized_keys\r""
    (file "libexec/telnet_set_root_pass" line 10)
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.2.1' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Upgrading OpenWRT on the tl-mr3020 at 192.168.2.1
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.2.1' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin                                 100% 3840KB   1.9MB/s   00:02
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.2.1' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Saving config files...
etc/shadow
etc/profile
etc/inittab
etc/hotplug2.rules
etc/firewall.user
etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key
etc/dropbear/authorized_keys
etc/config/wireless_setup_done
etc/config/wireless.template
etc/config/wireless
etc/config/uhttpd
etc/config/ucitrack
etc/config/ubootenv
etc/config/system
etc/config/network.template
etc/config/network
etc/config/luci
etc/config/fstab
etc/config/firewall
etc/config/dropbear
etc/config/dhcp
Sending TERM to remaining processes ... runservald dnsmasq dnsmasq dnsmasq ntpd sleep rcS logger klogd hotplug2 ubusd netifd
Sending KILL to remaining processes ...
Switching to ramdisk...
Performing system upgrade...
Unlocking firmware ...

Writing from <stdin> to firmware ...
Appending jffs2 data from /tmp/sysupgrade.tgz to firmware...
Writing from <stdin> to firmware ...  [w]TRX header not found
Error fixing up TRX header

Upgrade completed
Rebooting system...
Timeout, server 192.168.2.1 not responding.
claes@dellUbuntu:~/serval/mesh-extender-builder$
--
I did a scp of the network.template file to get it going.

With the new network.template on both routers the servald's find each other.
If i connect a phone to the public interface it will see both routers.
And it all shows up on the 4110 webpage.

/Claes

Claes Giljegard

Nov 2, 2014, 4:22:05 PM11/2/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

I think
'sysupgrade -n'
will do what we want...
--
root@Serval-MeshExtender1-0:~# sysupgrade -h
Usage: /sbin/sysupgrade [<upgrade-option>...] <image file or URL>

upgrade-option:
-d <delay>   add a delay before rebooting
-f <config>  restore configuration from .tar.gz (file or url)
-i           interactive mode
-c           attempt to preserve all changed files in /etc/
-n           do not save configuration over reflash
-F | --force
            Flash image even if image checks fail, this is dangerous!
-q           less verbose
-v           more verbose
-h | --help  display this help

backup-command:
-b | --create-backup <file>
            create .tar.gz of files specified in sysupgrade.conf
            then exit. Does not flash an image. If file is '-',
            i.e. stdout, verbosity is set to 0 (i.e. quiet).
-r | --restore-backup <file>
            restore a .tar.gz created with sysupgrade -b
            then exit. Does not flash an image. If file is '-',
            the archive is read from stdin.

root@Serval-MeshExtender1-0:~#
--
/Claes

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Nov 2, 2014, 6:02:05 PM11/2/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Thanks -- I have pushed this change.  Let me know how you go.

Paul.

Claes Giljegard

Nov 3, 2014, 3:44:46 PM11/3/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It works. 'sysupgrade -n' wipes everything from the router.
It even removes the passwd for root.
When 'sysupgrade -n' is done it reboots the router and when it comes up it is possible to telnet to it.
I ran lib/telnet_set_rootpass to reset the passwd and then it needed one more reboot to start servald.

To make it automatic reflash needs to wait for the router to come up again before setting the root passwd and reboot again.

/Claes
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to serval-project-developers+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Nov 3, 2014, 11:15:54 PM11/3/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Okay.  This makes sense.  That said, I think we can simplify things by putting /etc/passwd into the image so that it is there immediately.

I have just pushed this into git.  Please give it a try.

Paul.

Claes Giljegard

Nov 4, 2014, 3:19:27 PM11/4/14
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just completed a new cycle of pull, make, gather, populate and reflash.
It is working as it should now.

Now I will look into how to extend the range.
I have seen hardware mods adding an external antenna and also look into adding a long range radio that is allowed here in europe.

/Claes
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to serval-project-developers+unsubsc...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/serval-project-developers.

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Nov 4, 2014, 7:25:48 PM11/4/14

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 6:49 AM, Claes Giljegard <cl...@giljegard.com> wrote:
Hi,

I just completed a new cycle of pull, make, gather, populate and reflash.
It is working as it should now.

Excellent :)

Now I will look into how to extend the range.
I have seen hardware mods adding an external antenna and also look into adding a long range radio that is allowed here in europe.

Ulf was here with us for a few weeks just recently working on exactly such a radio, and can probably weigh in with his perspective on how far he got, and what the next steps are to getting that usable.  It is certainly something that we would welcome.

Paul