alternative mesh extender config

Miles

Oct 30, 2013, 1:33:32 AM10/30/13
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
I've bodged together an alternative mesh extender for a slightly different use case. I wanted a fast way to set up a number of storage nodes.

Recipe:
Take one cheap TP link router with USB (tested on 703n, 3020 will probably work)
Re-flash with new system image.
Insert USB stick > 2M.
Boot router & watch new serval node show up on the network.

Most of the configuration is the same as the original mesh extender. Missing are all the serial related utilities, firewall  & bridge tools and anything else not strictly required for a headless unit.

The image doesn't do anything clever about running with no USB disk. With  200K of free space it will fill up quickly. I'd love advice on how to tweak rhizome for this.

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Oct 30, 2013, 10:06:47 PM10/30/13
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miles,

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Miles <my...@tenhand.com> wrote:
I've bodged together an alternative mesh extender for a slightly different use case. I wanted a fast way to set up a number of storage nodes.

Recipe:
Take one cheap TP link router with USB (tested on 703n, 3020 will probably work)
Re-flash with new system image.
Insert USB stick > 2M.
Boot router & watch new serval node show up on the network.

Cool. This will be very nice to have for people who don't need a UHF radio but want easy meshing on a low-cost platform.

Most of the configuration is the same as the original mesh extender. Missing are all the serial related utilities, firewall  & bridge tools and anything else not strictly required for a headless unit.

The image doesn't do anything clever about running with no USB disk. With  200K of free space it will fill up quickly. I'd love advice on how to tweak rhizome for this.

In theory, Rhizome has the ability to limit it's storage space. It can also run Rhizome entirely in RAM.  But these behaviours have not been tested for a long time, and likely have problems.  We would certainly welcome some work on revisiting that code.

Paul.