Adding a new browser type selenium-server

Dakshinamurthy Karra

Jun 30, 2016, 5:55:04 AM6/30/16
to Selenium Users
Greetings.

Is there a standard way of adding a new browser type to Selenium Server to use with Grid.

I looked at the source and found that if I can make entries into:

BrowserLauncherFactory#supportedBrowsers and
DefaultDriverSessions#defaultDriverProviders

is enough to support a new browser type.

-- KD

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

Jul 5, 2016, 10:35:54 AM7/5/16
to Selenium Users
@KD,

I don't think all of that is required. I believe you would need to create a service loader file similar to this, provide an implementation for "org.openqa.selenium.remote.server.DriverProvider", build a jar out of it and make it available in your CLASSPATH when you spin off your node using a command such as this.

Since the Grid infrastructure itself has been built such that it can pick up custom DriverProvider implementations via ServiceLoaders, the rest of the stuff is automatically taken care of.

Of-course, on the client side, you wouldn't be having a out of the box static method for your custom browser, you would need to essentially go about handcrafting the browser name that matches with what you have provided as part of your DriverProvider implementation.

The rest of the stuff should fall in place automatically.

PS : I have not tried this in reality, but from looking at the code, I believe that my theory should work for you in real as well.

Please give it a try and let us know.

Oh btw, I loved what you have done with the JavaDriver and was part of the session that you ran in the recently concluded Selenium Conference held in Bangalore!

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

Dakshinamurthy Karra

Jul 18, 2016, 4:58:43 AM7/18/16
to Selenium Users
Thanks. I was sure that there should be a way of doing it, but couldn't figure out from the sources. I will update once I try it out.

Glad that you liked the JavaDriver session.

Kind Regards,
KD

Dakshinamurthy Karra

Aug 28, 2016, 3:28:34 AM8/28/16
to Selenium Users
It works.

Thanks again.

-- KD

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

Aug 28, 2016, 4:46:54 AM8/28/16
to Selenium Users
KD,
Awesome. Thanks for confirming back on this thread and also confirming my understanding of the implementation.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan