WebDriver vs. WebDriverBackedSelenium

Marcel Overdijk

Jul 18, 2011, 5:22:45 PM7/18/11
to Selenium Developers
I'm using the WebDriverBackedSelenium myself as I prefer the Selenium
API over the WebDriver API.

I also read somewhere that WebDriver is the way forward for Selenium
so I was wondering what that will mean for the
WebDriverBackedSelenium / Selenium API in the future.
I'm starting a new project and I can still choose any option.

What would you recomment?

David Burns

Jul 19, 2011, 4:43:50 AM7/19/11
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com

For a new project I would go straight to Webdriver. The WebdriverBackedSelenium is a stop gap to help users migrate to webdriver at their own pace.

David

Daniel Wagner-Hall

Jul 19, 2011, 6:25:26 AM7/19/11
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
The WebDriverBackedSelenium is significantly slower than using either
the Selenium API directly, or the WebDriver API directly.

susanth b

Sep 4, 2012, 3:56:10 AM9/4/12
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel Wagner,

As you said  WebDriverBackedSelenium is not using either Selenium API or WebDriver API , then how it works?

Susanth B

Patrick Lightbody

Sep 4, 2012, 1:30:40 PM9/4/12
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
WebDriverBackedSelenium provides Selenium 1.x compatible interfaces but is implemented using 100% WebDriver.

susanth.nair

Sep 4, 2012, 11:37:51 PM9/4/12
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou Patrick.

Here the conclusion Webdrivbacked selenium has all the similar method names of Selenium RC but its developed using WebDriver and Weblement classes .
There is no browserbot dependancy in WebdriverBacked Selenium.

It helps to convert existing RC project to Webdriver.
The methods in the Webdrivbacked selenium can also be used in the your project reusable library insted of writing methods such as  type,click etc..  using Webdriver and WebElement methods.

Thanks and Regards

Susanth B

Simon Stewart

Sep 21, 2012, 7:54:15 AM9/21/12
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There's a number of reasons why we recommend against using the
webdriver-backed selenium on a new project:

1) It's slow: it has to try and implement the same behaviour as the
original Selenium RC. This means that it performs a host of additional
commands for every action that are often not needed, but _might be_ in
some circumstances.

2) It's slow. I think this point is worth repeating.

3) Almost all development effort right now is being focused on the
webdriver API. This is the one that's being supported by the browser
vendors themselves, and this is the one that's the focus of the W3C
work. If you find a bug in the webdriver code, we're likely to try and
fix it. If you find a similar bug in the rc code, or the
webdriver-backed selenium, given the amount of effort being expended
on it, it's unlikely that your issue will be fixed.

4) Aesthetically, I prefer the webdriver API. I am, of course, biased.

5) The WebDriver APIs have a host of useful support classes and
utilities that make it easier to do common tasks. You can use these
with the webdriver-backed selenium, but you'll be constantly
unwrapping the underlying webdriver instance. Ugh.

Simon