Talmud chapters vowelized and formatted

Dovi Jacobs

Nov 30, 2012, 1:23:55 AM11/30/12
to sef...@googlegroups.com, opensid...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Rabbi Dan Be'eri of Jerusalem is well-known in Israel as the creator of the בקראי educational method, which is meant to help school children learn most or all of the Tanakh and Mishnah from a young age (partially through singing the texts).

Rav Be'eri has recently released some incredibly valuable texts that should be of supreme interest to both Sefaria and Open Siddur. Each file is a full chapter of Bavli or Yerushalmi, carefully edited and vowelized (based upon the best extant scholarship) and then formatted through division into lines to facilitate study. This is project he has been working on for more than a decade, and he continues to issue more chapters as he finishes them.

I have uploaded the current files here at the Wikimedia Commons. More chapters will be added God willing as they appear. They can of course be downloaded and used within other projects under a free license. The PDF files at the Commons contain word-processor files within them, and can be opened for editing like any other <.doc> file by using LibreOffice. But for convenience I have attached them here too as .doc files.

A first sample chapter has been formatted as online text at Hebrew Wikisource:
There might be a very particular benefit in this for Sefaria specifically: Instead of translating the Talmud to match the Vilna lines, which are highly problematic for the purpose, the line-division in this edition would be absolutely perfect to both motivate and facilitate a collaborative translation of the Gemara into English.

I would like to personally thank Rav Be'eri for making this work, in which he has invested many years of labor, available to the public under a free and open license.

Shabbat Shalom

BAVLI_21_Bava_metsia_03_HAMAFQID_linenumbers.doc
BAVLI_01_Berakhot_04_TEFILAT_HASHAHAR_linenumbers.doc
BAVLI_04_Pesahim_10_ARVE_PESAHIM_linenumbers.doc
BAVLI_21_Bava_metsia_02_ELU_METSIOT_linenumbers.doc
BAVLI_01_Berakhot_02_HAYA_QORE_linenumbers.doc
YERUSHALMI PRINCIPLES of vocalisation, punctuation and pagination by Dan Beeri.doc
YERUSHALMI_01_Berakhot_07_SHELOSHA SHEAKHELU.doc
YERUSHALMI_01_Berakhot_01_ME'EMATAY.doc
YERUSHALMI_01_Berakhot_05_EN 'OMEDIN.doc
YERUSHALMI_01_Berakhot_02_HAYA_QORE.doc
YERUSHALMI_01_Berakhot_06_KETSAD MEVAREKHIN.doc
BAVLI_01_Berakhot_01_ME'EMATAY_linenumbers.doc
BAVLI_07_Sukka_03_LULAV_HAGAZUL_linenumbers.doc
YERUSHALMI_01_Berakhot_04_TEFILAT HASHAHAR.doc
YERUSHALMI_20_Ta'aniyot_01_ME'EMATAY MAZKIRIN.doc
BAVLI_01_Berakhot_05_EN_OMEDIM_linenumbers.doc
YERUSHALMI_01_Berakhot_03_MISHEMETO.doc
BAVLI_21_Bava_metsia_06_HASOKHER_ET_HA'UMANIN_line.doc
BAVLI_19_Kiddushin_01_29-41_num.doc

Brett Lockspeiser

Nov 30, 2012, 2:53:10 PM11/30/12
to sef...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much Dovi. This is a great resource and could be a much more useful and meaningful way to break down Gemara text into smaller segments. -b

Aharon Varady

Nov 30, 2012, 3:50:31 PM11/30/12
to Dovi Jacobs, opensid...@googlegroups.com, sef...@googlegroups.com
This is an amazing source for voweled text of the Talmud. Thanks so much! I'd certainly like to hear and share audiofiles of what the nusach of this recitation sounds like.

Will there be more of these text files forthcoming for other portions of the Bavli and Yerushalmi.

Aharon

Dovi Jacobs

Dec 1, 2012, 1:27:03 PM12/1/12
to Aharon Varady, opensid...@googlegroups.com, sef...@googlegroups.com
Shavua Tov.

First of all sorry for the typo, it's ברקאי.

Yes, he plans to release files of forthcoming chapters as he God willing completes them.

This is a text project, not audio. However, in the near future I hope to contact you guys again for assistance regarding audio that Rav Be'eri has produced; as soon as it becomes relevant I will do so. In the meantime I'd like to get reactions to this.

By the way, I forgot to point out this file, which contains a description of his methods and aims in editing the Yerushalmi:

Dec 2, 2012, 2:05:45 AM12/2/12
to sef...@googlegroups.com
Dovi, Shalom

Great stuff. Look at my formatted text for מדליקים מנר לנר on Sefaria source sheets - I would have loved to have had available the vocalized text when I was making it! Also, it seems that Rav Beeri has done minimal formatting, which allows others to overlay their own approaches.  Yishar kochachem.

On another note (literally), I can't tell you how how much I would love to get hold of audio files for Daf Yomi.  I've searched for  text-centered shiur, to little avail, and none in mp3 format with a modern Hebrew/Sephardi pronunciation of the text. What I really want is just a plain reading of the the text for review purposes when out and about - does Rav Beeri have these and are they at all available?

Finally, to everyone: there is no such word as "vowelized" - the proper word is "vocalized"!

Rav Berachot and Shavua Tov,

Yehoshua Kahan

Adam Goldberg

Jul 5, 2013, 8:39:43 AM7/5/13
to sef...@googlegroups.com
Rav Simon Wolf has gemara yomi shiurim in English and modern Hebrew at [swdaf.com].