Breaking problem with SO automatic additions to /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Kevin Branch

Dec 12, 2018, 10:31:31 AM12/12/18
to securit...@googlegroups.com
SO appends the following to /etc/ssh/sshd_config

# Security Onion Autossh
ClientAliveInterval 30
ClientAliveCountMax 3

These are added even when those directives are already defined in the file, which is not that big of a deal, but the big issue to me today was that my client uses a Match section in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and Match sections have to be at the bottom of the file, not followed by global config lines like what SO appends.  That breaks ssh and prevents the service from starting.

I propose having SO only add sshd_config lines it has confirmed are not already present in sshd_config and then insert them at the top of the file instead of appending them.  That would be safer since local customization of /etc/ssh/sshd_config in various client environments is probably reasonable to expect at times.

Thanks!
Kevin

Wes

Dec 12, 2018, 4:18:03 PM12/12/18
to security-onion
Hi Kevin,

I've opened an issue for this, here:

https://github.com/Security-Onion-Solutions/security-onion/issues/1396

Thanks,
Wes

Doug Burks

Dec 27, 2018, 11:11:33 AM12/27/18
to securit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

I've submitted a new package for testing:

If you are able to test it out in an environment simulating the original conditions you reported, please add your feedback to the testing thread.  Thanks!

--
Follow Security Onion on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/securityonion

Doug Burks