Vinny's near death experience

Douglas Migden

Jul 28, 2012, 3:52:44 AM7/28/12
to Seattle International Randonneurs

It was an amazing RAMROD permanent today. Vinny and I did it just fine except that we had a pretty scary experience whereby a car literally flew over Vinny's head. I was in front a few hundred yards, going down from Cayuse Pass, and heard the crash and people screaming . I turned around to see this car doing flips in the middle of the road.

It was like a scene from a war movie whereby the dust and debris of battle finally settle and the guys are still standing except that it was Vinny and his bike still standing. The car landed on its wheels facing back toward Cayuse Pass (backwards ). An elderly lady was driving and she fell asleep. She hit a stone wall while driving just behind Vinny and then her car became airborne. Amazingly she was only a little bit scraped up. Her car looked like a squished tin can. She wasn't speeding, drunk, or talking or texting on her cell phone.  She "just"  was tired and fell asleep while operating a lethal weapon behind a guy on a bike.  In fact, she even had one of those "give cyclists three feet" orange stickers on her bumper.

Vinny was pretty shaken up and sort of in shock. Except for his psyche, he was unscathed and is okay now. The guy did 35,000 km on a bike two years ago and he's been in a war and he's never had anything like this happen to him. As cyclists we always talk about cars "flying" by us. But I think Vinny is the only guy I know who has actually had a car fly over his head.  And it was only about a foot or two over his head so we are very fortunate he is still with us.

  Doug

Thomas Martin

Jul 28, 2012, 5:44:01 AM7/28/12
to Seattle International Randonneurs

Elderly drivers scare me more than punks in pickups. My closest calls on my tandem were from elderly RV drivers.
Excessive daytime sleepiness can be an early sign of dementia. She should never drive again if there wasn't another legitimate cause for her falling asleep.
Vinnie
I am so glad to hear that your force field worked so well!
BTW You might as well throw those bike shorts away, you will never get them clean!

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Amy and Robin Pieper

Jul 28, 2012, 8:25:15 AM7/28/12
to seattl...@googlegroups.com, drmi...@aol.com

Holy crap! Thankful Vinny is okay. We saw you just a few miles out of Enumclaw as we were driving towards Cayuse and later saw a Honda Element loaded on a flatbed truck looking pretty smashed. Whew Vinny your guardian angel needs a day off. Amy

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Jul 28, 2012, 12:02:41 PM7/28/12
to seattl...@googlegroups.com
Oh my. Vinny, I am so very happy you came out in one piece!

Jeff Loomis

Jul 28, 2012, 6:35:11 PM7/28/12
to fitz....@gmail.com, seattl...@googlegroups.com
I saw Vinny this morning and I think his psyche has returned to
normal. At least the cheshire cat grin is there.

-Jeff

Lynne Fitzsimmons

Jul 28, 2012, 6:40:54 PM7/28/12
to Jeff Loomis, seattl...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear!

Sent from my iPhone

Albert Meerscheidt

Jul 28, 2012, 6:56:43 PM7/28/12
to fitz....@gmail.com, Jeff Loomis, seattl...@googlegroups.com
I've flown over a car, and played pool with a car and it's wheel - they were going in different directions, but I've never had a car fly over me - that takes skill and timing!!!
Albert

Thanks,

Albert
albert.me...@gmail.com

vmuo...@comcast.net

Jul 29, 2012, 12:19:57 AM7/29/12
to drmi...@aol.com, Seattle International Randonneurs
Thanks all!

"If blood will flow, when flesh and steel are one
Drying in the color of the evening sun
Tomorrows rain, will wash the stains away
But something in our mind will always stay
Perhaps this final act was meant
To clinch a lifetime's argument
That nothing comes from violence
And nothing ever could