Error: Could not slurp (Error 519)

ekallevig

May 9, 2008, 4:31:38 PM5/9/08
to Scribd Platform Talk
I'm attempting to test the 'Quick Switch' option for some pdf's on a
page in our test environment (behind a firewall) and it seems to be
working up until the point of actually loading the document into the
viewer page. The scribd frame loads ok and then the status in the
middle of the scribd frame says 'streaming document' for a second and
then it changes to say 'Error: Could not slurp (Error 519)'. I've
searched for references to that error but haven't found anything.
Anyone know what could be preventing the document from being 'slurped'?

Jared Friedman

May 9, 2008, 4:34:14 PM5/9/08
to scribd-platfo...@googlegroups.com, ekal...@gmail.com
Hi there,
  Error 519 occurs when the data retrieved from the URL was blank.  Can you send us an example link to a PDF that caused this error?

Jared
--
Jared Friedman
CTO, Scribd

ekallevig

May 9, 2008, 4:50:11 PM5/9/08
to Scribd Platform Talk
Unfortunately I can't because it's behind our firewall. The domain
I'm testing on is a subdomain of our main domain--could that be part
of the problem? Could the firewall itself be part of the problem?

On May 9, 4:34 pm, "Jared Friedman" <ja...@scribd.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> Error 519 occurs when the data retrieved from the URL was blank. Can you
> send us an example link to a PDF that caused this error?
>
> Jared

Jared Friedman

May 9, 2008, 4:56:16 PM5/9/08
to scribd-platfo...@googlegroups.com, ekal...@gmail.com
Yes, that's almost certainly the problem.  Scribd's servers need to be able to access the URL in order to slurp it.  Some solutions to this problem:

- Make temporary public URL's that grant access to the firewalled content.  You can use these URL's once and throw them away.
- Use the API call docs.upload to send the file data (not the URL) directly to Scribd's servers.

--
Jared Friedman
CTO, Scribd

ekallevig

May 9, 2008, 5:08:28 PM5/9/08
to Scribd Platform Talk
Could I also manually upload some pdfs via the regular scribd tool to
test it out or would that screw up the pathing of the link to the
file?

On May 9, 4:56 pm, "Jared Friedman" <ja...@scribd.com> wrote:
> Yes, that's almost certainly the problem. Scribd's servers need to be able
> to access the URL in order to slurp it. Some solutions to this problem:
>
> - Make temporary public URL's that grant access to the firewalled content.
> You can use these URL's once and throw them away.
> - Use the API call docs.upload to send the file data (not the URL) directly
> to Scribd's servers.
>
> --
> Jared Friedman
> CTO, Scribd

Jared Friedman

May 9, 2008, 5:10:32 PM5/9/08
to scribd-platfo...@googlegroups.com, ekal...@gmail.com
If you upload the PDFs using the Flash uploader, it won't have any effect on embed calls using the URL.

ekallevig

May 9, 2008, 5:16:40 PM5/9/08
to Scribd Platform Talk
Thanks for your help on this. Just to clarify, a document that is
'slurped' via QuickSwitch will still show up in the 'my docs' tab once
it has been converted, right?

Jared Friedman

May 9, 2008, 5:22:55 PM5/9/08
to scribd-platfo...@googlegroups.com, ekal...@gmail.com