Fwd: Change is in the air- what can we learn?

Jean Boucher

Jul 10, 2020, 2:43:20 AM7/10/20
to ENVI...@listserv.neu.edu, Ecopolitics, pesoe...@listserv.utep.edu, SCORAI Group, degr...@googlegroups.com, Energy and Social Science Network (EASSN) Announcement List, COMUR...@listserv.gsu.edu
This may be of interest - looking for energy lessons from covid lockdown - send a homemade video - Jean

A bumper edition covering lessons from lockdown, the phasing out of fossil fuels and much more

View this email in your browser

We want to hear your lessons from lockdown!

We know the climate emergency hasn’t gone away and big change is needed this decade. But lots of people have shown we’re actually good at making changes, quickly and at really short notice.

We are asking YOU to share your stories and observations of the huge changes you’ve seen during lock down by making simple films on your phone and sending them to us.

Find out more

FOCUS ON FOSSIL FUELS

Credit: 'Cooling Towers, Drax, Selby, North Yorkshire' by Les Haines (CC BY 2.0)

Join the initiative for a Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty

The Alliance has joined a number of global and grassroots organisations to campaign for a Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty. Fossil fuels remain the main cause of the Climate Emergency, with coal, oil and gas responsible for almost 80% of carbon dioxide emissions since the industrial revolution. Phasing out fossil fuels and fast tracking sustainable solutions will require unprecedented international cooperation.

Join the initiative and endorse the Treaty today here.

COMMENTARY: Fossil fuel disarmament

In 2017, after decades of trying to get the nuclear powers to fulfil their commitments under the 1968 nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), a group of countries, with the backing of a massive civil society campaign created a new treaty to ban nuclear weapons. Now a growing number of people are lending their support to the idea of a new treaty to fairly leave large swathes of remaining fossil fuels in the ground. Read more.

BLOG SERIES: Welcome to the Fossil Endgame

Alliance member Leave it in the Ground Initiative (LINGO) have launched the first in their series of blogs which considers what will happen if the fossil fuel model gets disrupted in the next few years. The series will bring together leading global thinkers to discuss a fast post-fossil transition and help inform the strategic choices to be made in the COVID recovery, investments, business strategy, research etc. Read more

STORIES OF CHANGE

NEWS AND COMMENTARY

REPORT: Playing Against the Clock

"Making a carbon zero world the common sense priority of the sports world would make a huge contribution to making it the common sense priority of all politics."

'Playing against the clock: Global sport, the climate emergency and the case for rapid change' – by leading academic and author, David Goldblatt, provides the first provisional estimate of the impact of global sport on the climate and warns that the climate emergency will have far more severe consequences for several sports.

Download the report here

Let’s work with nature and let nature work with us

Many people during lockdown have experienced a greater appreciation of nature. On Environment Day, Nicky Saunter encouraged us to think about what is really important, to get outside, listen to the birds and engage with the world around us.
Read more

Crisis conversations –
Reset #4

In the fourth Crisis Conversation convened by the Rapid Transition Alliance, with Compass and the Green New Deal Group, we explored issues of time, work and income, exploring how the pandemic creates an opportunity to reshape our relationship with work . Read more

Join us!

The Rapid Transition Alliance is a large and growing network of organisations committed to action based on fairness, at the speed and scale needed to prevent climate breakdown. It is coordinated by a small group of people drawn from the New Weather Institute, the School of Global Studies at the University of Sussex, and the ESRC STEPS Centre at the Science Policy Research Unit (SPRU) and the Institute of Development Studies, and with help from our friends, colleagues and supporters. The work of the Alliance is kindly supported by the KR Foundation.

Become an affiliate
Copyright © Rapid Transition Alliance 2019, All rights reserved.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Read our privacy statement

This email was sent to JLB...@gmail.com
Rapid Transition Alliance · c/o Institute of Development Studies · Library Road, Falmer · Brighton, BN1 9RE · United Kingdom

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

--

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed

until it is faced. – James Baldwin