Committee to fundraise for inclusion of marginalized individuals at upcoming SCORAI conference

1 view

Colby, Ashley Lynn

Nov 9, 2019, 8:39:30 AM11/9/19
to sco...@googlegroups.com

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/4/images/cleardot.gif

Hello SCOARI members,

I am writing to recruit a small number of individuals to serve over the next few months on a fundraising committee to provide funding for underrepresented individuals to attend the upcoming SCORAI conference this June in Boston. After inquiring if any such fund existed, I was informed by SCORAI leadership and conference organizers that it did not and they were open to the possibility of creating one.

I don't think it's necessary to make the case that it is important to include scholars from underrepresented groups such as activists, practitioners, and those coming from the Global South with limited means at a conference like SCORAI. There has been widespread acknowledgement across arenas that bringing marginalized voices into these conversations can not only advance social justice, but could lead to new insights, innovative outcomes, and upends the logic and the culture of groupthink.

I suggest that this conference, and SCORAI more generally, would benefit greatly from actively recruiting these voices, and finding out what possibilities lay ahead with their inclusion. We could set a precedent for other kinds of organizations looking to uplift marginalized populations by attempting to do it ourselves, while keeping a critical eye on ways we could improve in the implementation.

If this sounds like a project you could support, I would ask you to contact me directly at ash...@rizomafieldschool.com. Although I don't know exactly how fundraising will play out, I imagine committee members will basically do the work of soliciting funds across different arenas for this endeavor. This would probably look like sending out a few emails monthly between now and the conference.

Thank you so much for reading, and I hope to see you in Boston in June!

Best,

Ashley

Ashley Colby Fitzgerald

ash...@rizomafieldschool.com

PhD, Environmental Sociology

Co-founder Rizoma Field School

Colonia, Uruguay

Colby, Ashley Lynn

Nov 9, 2019, 9:21:08 AM11/9/19
to Colby, Ashley Lynn, sco...@googlegroups.com

I forgot to mention: if you are interested in committee membership, please respond within 10 working days by November 22. I will send a reminder email to everyone at that time.

Ashley

--
- Too many emails? Send an email to rob...@orzanna.de to change to a summary/digest mode.
- Follow our news on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SCORAI_org

Colby, Ashley Lynn

Nov 25, 2019, 2:39:54 PM11/25/19
to sco...@googlegroups.com

Hello SCORAI:

Just a brief reminder the deadline to join the Committee for Broadening Participation in the 2020 SCORAI Conference has recently passed. If you would like more information please visit this (newly created) webpage:

https://cssh.northeastern.edu/scorai2020/fund-for-broadening-participation/

We are looking for at least one more person who works within academia, activism, or as a practitioner to help us fundraise on this committee. The basic idea is to provide funding to one or more individuals from marginalized groups to be able to attend the SCORAI conference in Boston in 2020.

Please get in touch with me directly if you would be interested in donating some time (mostly just connecting via email) to help with this important effort.

Ashley

ash...@rizomafieldschool.com