More visibility for SCORAI

Halina Brown

Dec 12, 2019, 2:06:04 PM12/12/19
to sco...@googlegroups.com

Dear SCORAI’ers,

Since its inception in 2008 the SCORAI network has grown to approximately1200 members. But in these early days of our second decade it is time to broaden and diversify the network, and to expand the reach of our message beyond our own community. SCORAI needs to draw in more people from community organizations, the policy-making sector and the business sector; and more people from various social minorities, including people of color, representatives of under-served communities, and the wealthy.

The 2020 conference, with its theme of “consumption & social justice in an urbanizing world” aims at bringing more diversity and exposure to SCORAI. But that is only the first step. We are also planning for SCORAI to become more visible in the popular social media, such as Twitter, YouTube (we could even think of Instagram!). Robert will take care of the technical side of this move. But it is up to us SCORAI’ers to present interesting and controversial ideas, engage in conversations, and comment on trends and events. Here are some ideas for everybody to consider.

      Halina will resume writing blogs which reflect my encounters with sustainable or unsustainable consumption in my life. These monthly blogs were suspended about three years ago. Consistent with their destination into social media, the blogs will aim for short, factual yet personal and maybe even emotional tone. Those will be posted on our website scorai.org as well as the popular blogging networks WordPress and Medium

      One blogger is not enough to create visibility. We hope that other SCORAI members will join Halina in this endeavor. Please join us in observing and commenting on the life around you and use our platforms to disseminate your content (or use your own profiles and link back to SCORAI. Ask Robert for help)!

      With sufficient interest, we can produce 10-20 minute podcasts in which two or more people exchange different perspectives on a particular topic. No rehearsals and minimum editing; just a conversation and maybe even some humor. Podcasts are widely popular and disseminating them takes minimal effort.

      For photographers among you:  Perhaps you would like to tell stories in pictures on Instagram? Let us know and we will create a SCORAI profile that you can link to

      More effort but yet another valid option: YouTube. Is anyone interested in producing more video content? Again, let us know and we will figure out the details!

Robert Orzanna, technical back-end supporter

Halina Brown, co-founder and Board member

Suez Jacobson

Dec 12, 2019, 7:03:35 PM12/12/19
to hbr...@clarku.edu, SCORAI Group
Here's a media piece that might interest this group - "Wild Hope." Check it out at wildhopefilm.com