RE: [SCORAI] Re: On Behalf of Environmentalists I Apologize; Publication of "Fit For A Better World"

Guy Salmon | Ecologic

Jul 8, 2020, 11:00:19 PM7/8/20
to jo...@comcast.net, ruben...@shaw.ca, Ashley Colby, SCORAI Group

Like Ashley, I’ve been impressed with the power of ‘experiential learning and doing’ at the local community level – in my case, through my governance role in the New Zealand Landcare Trust. In this role I have visited with many catchment groups in rural areas. And like John, I have no doubt about the importance of simple language to reach communities and the general public.

Nonetheless a strategy based on experiential learning will in the end have to be justified on its empirical results. It’s often been difficult to show (other than in exceptional cases) that such approaches are making a measurable difference. Retrospective evaluations of the Decade of Landcare in Australia, and of dairying best practice catchments in New Zealand, both show evidence of good farmer engagement, uptake of more sustainable practices and investments, and of well-motivated voluntary actions, but they fall short of showing any change in environmental outcomes. There are evidently larger forces at work which are driving environmental degradation, and which it is proving difficult to modify.

In New Zealand’s case (which might also apply in Uruguay), there is a cultural attachment to livestock farming; and capitalist drivers in livestock farming are constantly increasing the intensity of land use. Since 1990, there has been a dramatic decline in national water quality associated with land use intensification. Emissions of carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide and methane from NZ agriculture together constitute more than half our national total of greenhouse gas emissions, and they are growing. These outcomes and trends have been aided by a highly devolved system of environmental regulation, along with perceived or often regulator-created entitlements to pollute, which I have recently written about in NZ’s Policy Quarterly: https://ojs.victoria.ac.nz/pq/article/view/5682

However there is a hopeful new development here, which I would like to share with this list. A group called the Primary Sector Council has produced a Vision and Strategy document entitled Fit For A Better World. This is explicitly and squarely based on the adoption of a relational world view of people’s connection to nature (‘Te Taiao’) borrowed from the traditional culture of the indigenous Maori people (about 15% of NZ population). It should be said that the Council, despite its name, does not represent NZ’s main livestock industry groups nor processors like Fonterra – rather it is a group of more innovative and progressive figures from the primary sector, appointed by Jacinda Ardern’s current government. Its report is short, easy to read, whole-hearted and provocative; and it can be downloaded from the bottom of the page on this link: https://fitforabetterworld.org.nz/taiao/

Overall the document seems to clearly recognise that a paradigm shift is needed. But it also reinforces an important point: that a good public strategy needs to be grounded in, and consistent with, a core philosophy. The document is striking (and perhaps even ‘wise, integral and meta-reflexive’) in borrowing its core philosophy from a non-Western culture, and in setting out to persuade NZ’s farmers that adopting this philosophy is ‘critical and urgent’…

Guy

Jul 8, 2020, 11:51:44 PM7/8/20
to Guy Salmon | Ecologic, ruben...@shaw.ca, Ashley Colby, SCORAI Group, Jack Hamann
Guy Salmon, so great that your name turns up here.  You probably won't remember it but you were featured fairly prominently in a film I produced with Jack Hamann in 1994 called GREEN PLANS.  If you've never seen it you can watch it here: https://vimeo.com/420115935
I'm sure you look a bit older now..  :-)  It's about environmental policy in the Netherlands and New Zealand which were trailblazers in the early 90s.  Jack produced the part about NZ and I the part about Holland.  Jack hosts throughout.  Do you remember this at all.  Jack met you through Roger Blakeley.  What a small world it is--26 years ago, and you turn up here and now.

all best,
John

John de Graaf

www.johndegraaf.com

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg

Guy Salmon | Ecologic

Jul 9, 2020, 8:34:04 AM7/9/20
to JOHN DE GRAAF,* JOHN DE GRAAF, ruben...@shaw.ca, Ashley Colby, SCORAI Group, Jack Hamann

Thanks, John for your delightful response, and for the link to your film featuring New Zealand.

I do vaguely remember that 1994 interview in the forest, and the film, and it was quite nostalgic to watch it again. It dates from an era of optimism and progress on environmental issues in New Zealand similar to that halcyon early 70s period in the US described in one part of Gus Speth’s book, Red Sky at Morning. The collaborative model you portray in the film probably reached its peak here in 2009-18 when we ran a successful consensus-building process with the agriculture sector, environmental and Maori groups through the Land and Water Forum: http://www.landandwater.org.nz/.  But that painfully built consensus has recently unravelled, as did the earlier one on forests, and several others, albeit still leaving behind some clear environmental progress.

New Zealand has overall, become more polarised and litigious, like the other English-speaking countries, despite the collaborative leadership style of our Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern. This is in part because environmental issues that divide us have become bigger, and the influence of identity politics and social media has created a more divided and sectarian politics. So it is hard to foresee a return to consensual approaches - as Captain Oates said, “I am going outside and I may be some time…” Another film which I also feature in, from 2014, is a portrait of this less hopeful era, and of NZ’s continuing struggle to reduce its climate emissions (beyond statements of good intentions for the future): https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/hot-air-2014

It is hard to avoid the conclusion that we in NZ have now become caught up, like the rest of the world, in the broader dynamics of globalised, late capitalist development. Much turns on what happens in the U.S. and Europe in the months ahead. We hope for the best, and we are nurturing some ideas for the future, as ‘Fit for a Better World’ suggests…

Best wishes

Guy

Ruben Nelson

Jul 9, 2020, 11:58:32 AM7/9/20
to Guy Salmon | Ecologic, jo...@comcast.net, Ashley Colby, SCORAI Group

Guy,

Thank you.

A remarkable document in both content and presentation.  Possibly only NZ could produce such a document today.  It is a gift and an inspiration.

The message that we need to re-learn to experience reality as relational is a key necessary and critical step into the next form of civilization.  By the way, this step also means we must learn to acknowledge and work with a host of soft human experiential data as worthy of our full and careful attention.  The present positivistic bias of science is our past and not our future… if we are to have one.  ‘empirical’ isn’t what it used to be.

Ruben

Ruben Nelson

Executive Director

Foresight Canada

www.foresightcanada.com

FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

Like Ashley, I’ve been impressed with the power of ‘experiential learning and doing’ at the local community level – in my case, through my governance role in the New Zealand Landcare Trust. In this role I have visited with many catchment groups in rural areas. And like John, I have no doubt about the importance of simple language to reach communities and the general public.

image008.jpg
image009.jpg
image010.jpg
image011.jpg