Re: CfP: The Unseen Environmental Politics of Global Production, 13th Pan-European Conference on International Relations, September, Bulgaria

Janina Grabs

Feb 15, 2019, 10:23:27 AM2/15/19
to regul...@listserver.cc.huji.ac.il
[apologies for cross-posting]

Dear colleagues,

I hope this email finds you well. Once more, I wanted to share a call for papers, this time for a proposed panel at the 13th Pan-European Conference on International Relations, organized by the European International Studies Association next year, which will be in Sofia, Bulgaria. I’d be happy to hear from you!

Conference: EISA Pan-European Conference on International Relations, Sofia, Bulgaria, 11 to 14 September 2019. Theme: A Century of Show and Tell: The Seen and the Unseen of IR (http://www.eisapec19.org/)

Panel Description: The Unseen Environmental Politics of Global Production in the Anthropocene: Straining Planetary and Ethical Boundaries? [part of Section 45: Unseen Politics of Global Production – Prospects for Labour, Ecology and Human Rights in the 21st Century, see below for Section description]

The climatic and environmental crisis is rapidly becoming a real existential threat to the survival of human life as we know it. Traditionally, the discipline of International Relations, when focusing on environmental problem-solving at all, has narrowly honed in on inter-state environmental agreements and treaties. More recently, a focus on ‘global governance’ more broadly has also included networks of non-governmental actors and considerations of delegation, steering, and coproduction of traditional environmental governance tasks. Yet, despite being one of the main drivers of deforestation, environmental degradation, and biodiversity loss, the politics behind global production networks, and their consequences for our planetary health and future generations’ wellbeing, have received little attention by IR scholars. This panel will unpack the unseen environmental politics of global production in the Anthropocene through both theoretical and empirical advances.

The panel will include 3 – 5 papers (I’d like to aim for 5). At this point, I anticipate chairing the panel and presenting one co-authored paper ( “Rethinking problems and solutions for the future of Earth: International Relations in an era of planetary politics”, with Yixian Sun, Graeme Auld, Ben Cashore and Steven Bernstein).

If you are interested in contributing a paper, please send me an email until February 22nd 2019 (a week from today) with the following information:

Title

Abstract (max. 250 words)

3 – 8 keywords

Presenter and co-author information (name, email, institutional affiliation)

I am also looking for interested discussants, so please let me know if you plan on attending the EISA conference and would be willing to act as discussant.

Many thanks,

Janina (janina...@uni-muenster.de)

Unseen Politics of Global Production – Prospects for Labour, Ecology and Human Rights in the 21st Century (Section 45)

Call for papers for the 13th Pan-European Conference on International Relations,
11–14 September 2019, Sofia, Bulgaria.

Despite their central importance to the organisation of global politics, questions of labour, ecology and human rights in global production networks have traditionally received surprisingly little attention in IR research. While they are commonly the focus of neighbouring fields, e.g. economic sociology or branches of heterodox IPE, current developments amplify their urgency for international studies: automation and digitization of labour processes, shifting geographies of production, climate change adaptation policies and large-scale labour migration come to mind. Perhaps even more pressingly than in the previous century, relations of production command a closer look by IR scholars.

This section tackles the ‘unseen’ in the politics of global production by challenging, firstly, the omissions of dominant ontologies, theories, methodologies and empirical foci. Secondly, it raises questions of ‘seeing’ ecological and social conditions of global production, for instance through corporate auditing, certification and benchmarking regimes as well as logics of digitized labour networks, inquiring into technologies and limitations of established profit- and competition-driven corporate governance and state regulation. Thirdly, it encourages new and alternative ways of ‘seeing’ global production through innovative forms of critique and exploration of utopias. We invite panel and paper proposals which illuminate actors, institutions, networks as well as curious contraptions and gadgets in global production and its governance. Contributions address, but are not limited to, norms and technologies of transnational law and regulation; human and labour rights regimes; labour ecology and the future of work; public and corporate power; flows of resources, finance and money; and informal and shadow economies.

For questions regarding the section, please contact the section chairs
Ilona Steiler (
ilona....@helsinki.fi) and Dr Christian Scheper (csch...@inef.uni-due.de).

Janina Grabs
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster