Fwd: FW: Rights of Nature case now has a Scientist petition; please help to get signatures on it ASAP

Jean Boucher

Jul 11, 2020, 11:41:29 PM7/11/20
to ENVI...@listserv.neu.edu, Ecopolitics, pesoe...@listserv.utep.edu, degr...@googlegroups.com, SCORAI Group, CRIT-GE...@jiscmail.ac.uk, EANTHDI...@lists.ufl.edu
May be of interest for signatures for Rights of Nature Case: Center for Biological Diversity now has a Scientist Petition - Jean

From: Bitty Roy <b...@uoregon.edu>

Subject: Rights of Nature case now has a Scientist petition; please help to get signatures on it ASAP

Date: July 7, 2020 at 6:49:57 PM EDT

To: STUART PIMM <stuar...@me.com>, "Harrison, Susan" <sphar...@ucdavis.edu>, John Harte <jha...@berkeley.edu>, Peter Raven <peter...@mobot.org>, <prg...@princeton.edu>, Roo Vandegrift <wer...@gmail.com>, Mika Peck <m.r....@sussex.ac.uk>

Dear All,

You all indicated a willingness to help publicize this cause.  With Stuart's urging and the help of  the Center for Biological Diversity, there is now a website for a petition aimed at gathering the signatures of scientists.  We will turn the results over to the Constitutional Court on Monday and to the mining companies, etc. a bit later.  Here is text and a link to the petition and a pdf of the press release to send around to your network of colleagues.  Please sign it and send it far and wide to your colleagues.  Big names could be very helpful.

I am writing to you today about a very important conservation issue in one of the most biodiverse countries in the world: Ecuador. The Constitutional Court, their highest Court, has agreed to hear a Rights of Nature case brought by the Protected Forest Reserva Los Cedros, against mining concessions that were illegally placed by the government in 2017 on six millions acres (2.4 m hectares) of 186 protected forests. This is a precedent setting case that has implications for the climate emergency as well as for stunning biodiversity, including hundreds of endangered species. Please go to this website ASAP https://act.biologicaldiversity.org/aHmTNYj7lE-KFtsfUUy1SQ2   to sign the petition that will be delivered to the court on Monday July 13.  For more information, please see the attached Press Release, including links to videos.

Bitty

To unsubscribe from the IRES-INTERNAL list, please click here.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed

until it is faced. – James Baldwin

Press Release_ Los Cedros case moves to Constitutional Court.pdf

Richard Rosen

Jul 12, 2020, 11:01:05 AM7/12/20
to Jean Boucher, ENVI...@listserv.neu.edu, Ecopolitics, pesoe...@listserv.utep.edu, degr...@googlegroups.com, SCORAI Group, CRIT-GE...@jiscmail.ac.uk, EANTHDI...@lists.ufl.edu
Sorry, of course we humans should vigorously defend and rehabilitate nature, but Nature cannot have rights, just as it can't have responsibilities.  It is not a thinking being and a political actor! The idea that Nature can have rights is a "category mistake", a well-known concept in philosophy. --- Rich Rosen

--
- Subscribe to SCORAI: http://eepurl.com/dHXawz
- Too many emails? Send an email to rob...@orzanna.de and change to a digest mode.

Ashwani Vasishth

Jul 12, 2020, 11:09:47 AM7/12/20
to sco...@googlegroups.com

If I can show you that Nature DOES, indeed, have responsibilities, will you concede the need, at least, to talk about rights?

--
     Ashwani
        Vasishth         vasi...@ramapo.edu          (201) 684-6616

                       Ramapo College of New Jersey
              505 Ramapo Valley Road, SSHS, Mahwah, NJ 07430

Harris, Craig

Jul 12, 2020, 12:06:43 PM7/12/20
to rrose...@gmail.com, Jean Boucher, ENVI...@listserv.neu.edu, Ecopolitics, pesoe...@listserv.utep.edu, degr...@googlegroups.com, SCORAI Group, CRIT-GE...@jiscmail.ac.uk, EANTHDI...@lists.ufl.edu

my sense is that in philosophy there are at least several different views of rights . . .

my understanding is that in the current discussion,

rights are seen as a creation of the sociopolitical order . . .

rights can be guarantees of freedom from something,

or guarantees of access to something . . .

rights may be guaranteed to individual entities (e.g., species)

or to organized entities (e.g., ecosystems) . . .

cheers,

craig

Ashwani Vasishth

Jul 12, 2020, 12:10:57 PM7/12/20
to har...@msu.edu, rrose...@gmail.com, Jean Boucher, ENVI...@listserv.neu.edu, Ecopolitics, pesoe...@listserv.utep.edu, degr...@googlegroups.com, SCORAI Group, CRIT-GE...@jiscmail.ac.uk, EANTHDI...@lists.ufl.edu

As I wrote to Tom, in a sidebar...

I come to this from a variety of places...Martin Krieger's What's Wrong With Plastic Trees, Chris Stone's Should Trees Have Standing, Niraj Verma's Similarities, Connections, and Systems: The Search for a New Rationality for Planning and Management, and of course, George Lakoff, Women, Fire and Dangerous Things.

But the point is, its less about "humanizing" nature and more about the use of metaphor and analogy as analytical tools--as method.

--
     Ashwani
        Vasishth         vasi...@ramapo.edu          (201) 684-6616 (Jabber-enabled)

http://phobos.ramapo.edu/~vasishth
                  Associate Professor of Sustainability
                  Convener, Sustainability Program (BA)
President, New Jersey Higher Education Partnership for Sustainability (NJHEPS)
                    Director, Center for Sustainability
                     http://ramapo.edu/sustainability

                       Ramapo College of New Jersey
              505 Ramapo Valley Road, SSHS, Mahwah, NJ 07430

Ashwani Vasishth

Harris, Craig

Jul 12, 2020, 1:09:09 PM7/12/20
to SCORAI Group

further to the discussion . . .

cheers,

craig

Jul 12, 2020, 2:39:06 PM7/12/20
to har...@msu.edu, SCORAI Group
Hi all,

To me the important aspect of the debate about the rights of nature is not to try to answer yes or not, but
to use the debate to start seriously questioning the legitimacy of the modern legal system as a whole. A legal system that allows
some humans to "legally" appropriate and destroy the environmental conditions needed for all living systems
(including humans) to thrive. This book goes to the core of issue: https://www.bkconnection.com/books/title/the-ecology-of-law

Best,

Iñaki

Luis I. Prádanos (Iñaki)
Associate Professor
Miami University
Irvin Hall 237
400 East Spring Street
Oxford, OH 45056

CONFIDENTIALITY: The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain

confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance

upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact

the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Jean Boucher

Jul 12, 2020, 3:00:09 PM7/12/20
to SCORAI Group
Rich,
    Interesting comment. I suspect that philosophically, you may be right, but sociologically, humans invent constructs and concepts when and as they like and apply them.

As others have alluded, I see that rights came into existence for political reasons to protect people/stuff from abuse (as defined).

We know that globally many people dont have what we might think are basic rights, but rights on paper is a start.

Theologically, the recent encyclical by the Pope, "Laudato Si: On Care for our Common Home '' represents an historical shift for the Catholi Church: ascribing autonomy, purpose and meaning to non-human beings apart from humanity. Thus taking a shot of this idea of "ecological services."  (to serve humanity?)

Finally, there are arguments that "nature does actually think." see link/talk below by anthropologist, Jeremy Narby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKwzYQm-OuY&t=4s

Jean

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 11:39 AM Pradanos-Garcia, Luis <prad...@miamioh.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To me the important aspect of the debate about the rights of nature is not to try to answer yes or not, but
> to use the debate to start seriously questioning the legitimacy of the modern legal system as a whole. A legal system that allows
> some humans to "legally" appropriate and destroy the environmental conditions needed for all living systems
> (including humans) to thrive. This book goes to the core of issue: https://www.bkconnection.com/books/title/the-ecology-of-law
>
> Best,
>
> Iñaki
>

> Luis I. Prádanos (Iñaki)
> Associate Professor
> Miami University
> Irvin Hall 237
> 400 East Spring Street
> Oxford, OH 45056
>
> Book: Postgrowth Imaginaries
> Co-coordinator Environmental Humanities Research Cluster
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY: The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
>
> confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance
>
> upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact
>
> the sender and delete the material from any computer.

> --
> - Subscribe to SCORAI: http://eepurl.com/dHXawz
> - Too many emails? Send an email to rob...@orzanna.de and change to a digest mode.
> - Submit an item to next newsletter: lizb....@gmail.com
> - Submit a new blog post: hbr...@clarku.edu
> ---

Thomas Love

Jul 12, 2020, 3:15:19 PM7/12/20
to jlb...@gmail.com, SCORAI Group
Though I'm with Rich on this one, there is the fascinating 2013 book How Forests Think by Eduardo Kohn:

Can forests think? Do dogs dream? In this astonishing book, Eduardo Kohn challenges the very foundations of anthropology, calling into question our central assumptions about what it means to be human--and thus distinct from all other life forms. Based on four years of fieldwork among the Runa of Ecuador's Upper Amazon, Eduardo Kohn draws on his rich ethnography to explore how Amazonians ...
Tom

Thomas Love, PhD  | Professor Emeritus of Anthropology

900 SE Baker St. | McMinnville, Oregon  97128

http://www.linfield.edu/soan/faculty-detail.html?id=83

tl...@linfield.edu

Jul 12, 2020, 4:53:01 PM7/12/20
to sco...@googlegroups.com

The idea that Nature can have rights is a "category mistake", a well-known concept in philosophy.

To which philosophical school are you referring, Mr Rosen?

Rahul Goswami

Harris, Craig

Jul 13, 2020, 6:24:29 PM7/13/20
to Adam Novick, Prakash Kashwan, Richard Rosen, Ecopolitics, CRIT-GE...@jiscmail.ac.uk, SCORAI Group, EANTHDI...@lists.ufl.edu, ENVI...@listserv.neu.edu, pesoe...@listserv.utep.edu, vasi...@ramapo.edu, degr...@googlegroups.com
hi adam,
like you, i always found bromley's work on property rights to be very insightful . . .
but i think the discussion of rights of nature needs to move beyond property rights,
to include rights of access to certain goods (e.g., food, water)
and rights of freedom from certain bads (e.g., insecurity, want) . . .
cheers,
craig

Jul 15, 2020, 12:12:36 PM7/15/20
to de...@efn.org, SCORAI Group
Dear Deane

This is a bit of a circular argument.

The idea that it is up to humans to give nature ‘rights’ and that it is humans that will decide the shape and limits of those rights implicitly acknowledges human ‘superiority’ in that it is in our power to do that or not.

Framing natures ‘rights’ in human terms and then pretending there is no human ‘superiority’ makes no sense. Just like the idea of ‘intrinsic value’ makes no sense (I throw that in to be provocative ;-) )

Best

Joe

Dr Joe Zammit-Lucia

+31 646 86 21 76

radix.org.uk                                   amazon.co.uk    amazon.com

On Jul 14, 2020, at 11:31 PM, <de...@efn.org> wrote:

Richard,

Your argument is similar to why the confederacy argued that dark skinned people must always remain enslaved. Your argument is similar to the electoral college unequally counting votes so as not to give black people too much influence. Your argument is similar to why women were seen as not worthy of having the right to vote or to this day not being worthy enough to hold the most powerful positions in society.

Be it racism, misogyny, or in your case species-ism, the lesson of finding right vs. wrong relationship with life on earth is inescapable and it's a fools-errand for short short-lived humans to think they're superior to and separate from billions of years of intelligent DNA coding on this planet, which gave them their thinking and reasoning ability in the first place.

Do you really think that humans are superior because they're so good at wiping out the evolving DNA biodiversity on the planet and remaking the world in their own dead lifeless image? Is that your proof of superiority? Because the root of all genocide, land stealing, enslavement and oppression is based on that same kind of false sense of entitled superiority.

Do you really think humans are separate from and superior to the planet that made their life possible and therefore they're the only one's deserving of basic rights and legal standing and they're not going to be serious consequences for constantly destroying the living systems we depend on the brink when it comes to earth's ability to provide clean air, clean water, fertile topsoil and a fecund food chain? How long would humans survive without these essential responsibilities/services our living planet provides us?

And when it comes to legal standing in a court of law, the same requirements that gives a human legal standing, is no different than the requirements that should give nature legal standing. However, in the minds of selfish humans at this stage, we still haven't become intelligent enough to understand we are alive and exist entirely intertwined in relationship with nature and our rights only exist if her rights exist. All the basic natural science we know shows again and again that there are far more superior ways to smell than humans, more superior ways to see, to taste, to touch and even to to think, as there are mammals with way larger brains than us. And how much is happening on earth that humans are not even aware of yet, such as the longleaf pine, which has been here way, way longer than humans and their DNA is 20 times more complex than human DNA. This is true of many trees... Yet humans ability to know what all this DNA does... We're like little babies when it comes to learning this stuff.

In short, the sophistication of your corrupt capitalist ideology isn't much different than a 5 year old who refuses the basic lessons, of sharing, being nice, not hurting others and telling the truth. As in what you want for yourself you deny for everyone else, which is always unsustainable in the long run.

But in seeking right relationship with all our relations we can turn this planet back into the paradise our species first came from and giving legal standing to rivers mountains oceans and ecosystems is essential to that process of rewilding our minds and our planet in liberating ways.

Be well, Deane