doesn't support subversion client with ra_serf?

Yi EungJun

Aug 2, 2012, 6:58:41 AM8/2/12
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all.

I tried to checkout subversion repository managed by scm-manager, using subversion client 1.7.5 built with ra_serf.

But it failed as follows:

/tmp$ svn checkout http://localhost:8080/scm/svn/test3
Authentication realm: <http://localhost:8080> SONIA :: SCM Manager
Password for 'scmadmin':
svn: E160006: svn: E160006: Invalid revision number '-1'

Does scm-manager (or svnkit?) not support ra_serf yet?

Sebastian Sdorra

Aug 3, 2012, 7:50:33 AM8/3/12
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I don't know ra_serf. Can you explain what sa_serf does?

Sebastian

Yi, EungJun

Aug 4, 2012, 1:31:03 AM8/4/12
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
I don't know the details about sa_serf. I guess it is a new DAV
library for subversion client, to replace ra_neon have used for a long
time.

Here is a brief description about sa_serf, from
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.5.html#dav-modules

"Subversion 1.4 introduced the experimental ra_serf repository
access module for accessing HTTP[S] DAV Subversion servers. This uses
the serf library instead of the Neon library which the original DAV
support uses. serf supports pipelined requests which may lead to
better performance. However, Subversion 1.4 required you to choose
which module to use for accessing DAV servers at build time, which
made it difficult to find out which module performs better for your
usage patterns.

Subversion 1.5 allows you to build both modules at the same time;
you can choose which library to use on a global or host-by-host basis
by setting the http-library variable in your run-time server
configuration file (~/.subversion/servers). In recognition of the fact
that both libraries are DAV clients, we have renamed ra_dav to
ra_neon."

Sebastian Sdorra

Aug 6, 2012, 3:37:34 AM8/6/12
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've started searching for a pre compiled client with ra_serf support,
but all tested clients (mac os x, solaris 11, ubuntu 12.04) are
compiled with ra_neon only. So i decided to compile the client by my
own, but my compiled client hangs on every webdav connection on
scm-manager and apache with mod_dav_svn. I've tested with Subversion
1.7.5 on Solaris 11. Perhabs you can send me a ngrep or wireshark dump
from the failed connection?

Sebastian

Yi, EungJun

Aug 7, 2012, 1:26:23 AM8/7/12
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Sebastian.

I have attached the TCP dump by created ngrep, from the failed
connection between scm-admin and subversion client with ra_serf. I
hope this helps to solve this issue.
svn-serf.log

Sebastian Sdorra

Aug 11, 2012, 10:07:08 AM8/11/12
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Could you create a new dumb with ngrep and the option "-W byline"?

Sebastian

Yi, EungJun

Aug 11, 2012, 12:50:37 PM8/11/12
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I'd be happy to help. Here it is.
svn-serf-byline.log

Sebastian Sdorra

Aug 12, 2012, 9:47:32 AM8/12/12
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
Ok, i can reproduce the error now. I will try to fix it.

Sebastian

Yi, EungJun

Aug 12, 2012, 12:53:56 PM8/12/12
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
> Ok, i can reproduce the error now. I will try to fix it.

I'm very glad to hear that! Good luck to you.

A little hint: I really suspect svnkit. The problem also occurs when I
access the svn repository served by my own svn server built with
svnkit.

Sebastian Sdorra

Aug 13, 2012, 7:30:14 AM8/13/12
to scmma...@googlegroups.com
I've created a ticket for this problem at
https://bitbucket.org/sdorra/scm-manager/issue/222/svn-does-not-work-with-ra_serf.
There is a first patch for ra_serf, which fixes a lot of problems with
ra_serf. But there are more problems to fix.

Sebastian