Find indicator extreme memory use on OS X 10.6

Neil Hodgson

May 9, 2013, 12:43:21 AM5/9/13
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com
On OS X 10.6, the animation layer used for the find indicator appears to be being sized to match the whole document instead of just the visible portion of the document. It works OK on small documents but on larger files it tries to use gigabytes of memory. Even before running out it becomes sluggish. This issue is new since the change to using NSScrollView in 3.3.0.

The animation layer is attached to the inner view which is enclosed in the scroll view. It may be possible to attach the animation layer to the scroll view or its container which are sized to just their apparent size on screen but this didn't work when I tried it before the 3.3.0 release.

Since different containers may have different requirements and the implementation works OK for small files on 10.6, I'll leave the feature enabled in Scintilla but turn it off in SciTE when OS X 10.6 is detected.

Neil