KVIrc script lexing in scintilla - any interest?

Omega Weapon

Aug 16, 2013, 10:03:45 AM8/16/13
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com
I have extended the geany IDE[0] to support KVIrc script[1] (for the KVIrc[2] IRC client - IRC scripters on Windows would be more familiar with mIRC script) - as part of this I have knocked up a lexer for scintilla.

I understand that I need to port this to SciTE to get it upstreamed, but before I start, can I confirm that there would be an interest for such a lexer in scintilla?

Thanks

0: http://www.geany.org/
1: https://github.com/OmegaPhil/geany-kvircscript/wiki/README---KVIrc-Script-Integration
2: http://www.kvirc.net/

Lex Trotman

Aug 16, 2013, 7:54:42 PM8/16/13
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com
Answering what should be a question on the Geany list not the Scintilla list.

On 17 August 2013 00:03, Omega Weapon <omeg...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have extended the geany IDE[0] to support KVIrc script[1] (for the KVIrc[2] IRC client - IRC scripters on Windows would be more familiar with mIRC script) - as part of this I have knocked up a lexer for scintilla.

I don't see any new lexers in the github at [1].  You will need to show the changes rather than just uploading a blob.

I understand that I need to port this to SciTE to get it upstreamed, but before I start, can I confirm that there would be an interest for such a lexer in scintilla?

In general yes Geany would prefer that a new lexer is included in Scintilla (not Scite) so we can use Scintilla with minimal modifications.

Cheers
Lex

Matthew Brush

Aug 16, 2013, 8:30:55 PM8/16/13

https://github.com/OmegaPhil/geany-kvircscript/commits/kvircscript-lexer/scintilla/lexers/LexKVIrc.cxx

>> I understand that I need to port this to SciTE to get it upstreamed, but
>> before I start, can I confirm that there would be an interest for such a
>> lexer in scintilla?
>>

> In general yes Geany would prefer that a new lexer is included in Scintilla
> (not Scite) so we can use Scintilla with minimal modifications.

I think that's why he/she is asking here. It's not often someone reads
our mailing list archives and does the right thing without being told :)

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

Neil Hodgson

Aug 16, 2013, 10:36:06 PM8/16/13
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com
> I understand that I need to port this to SciTE to get it upstreamed, but before I start, can I confirm that there would be an interest for such a lexer in scintilla?

Lexers are accepted into Scintilla without needing to include support for SciTE.

Create an issue on the tracker and attach a patch.
http://sourceforge.net/p/scintilla/feature-requests/

Neil

Omega Weapon

Aug 17, 2013, 6:20:24 AM8/17/13
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com, nyama...@me.com

Thanks for all your responses - I posted here rather than the geany list since I read the warning under http://www.geany.org/manual/hacking.html#syntax-highlighting as requiring the lexer to be in the scintilla project before I can think about getting it and the parser and folder into geany for real.

OK, great news on not needing to do it in SciTE first, although I'm happy to do the work if it helps. I will make that feature request.

Omega Weapon

Aug 17, 2013, 6:52:06 AM8/17/13
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com, nyama...@me.com

Matthew Brush

Aug 17, 2013, 7:02:00 AM8/17/13
On 13-08-17 03:20 AM, Omega Weapon wrote:
> On Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:36:06 AM UTC+1, Neil Hodgson wrote:
>>
>>> I understand that I need to port this to SciTE to get it upstreamed, but
>> before I start, can I confirm that there would be an interest for such a
>> lexer in scintilla?
>>
>> Lexers are accepted into Scintilla without needing to include support
>> for SciTE.
>>
>> Create an issue on the tracker and attach a patch.
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/scintilla/feature-requests/
>>
>> Neil
>>

> Thanks for all your responses - I posted here rather than the geany list
> since I read the warning under
> http://www.geany.org/manual/hacking.html#syntax-highlighting as requiring
> the lexer to be in the scintilla project before I can think about getting
> it and the parser and folder into geany for real.

Thanks for RTFM! You rock!

Cheers,
Matthew Brush