Crash on some multi-byte UTF-8 characters in wxSTC

Paul K

Oct 29, 2013, 2:05:21 PM10/29/13
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com
Neil:

I'm not sure if this is Scintilla problem or not as I can't test Scite on OSX, but I opened this ticket for wxwidgets and would appreciate if you could take a quick look to confirm that it's not Scintilla. I have all the details (including the stack trace and the file it crashes on) in the ticket: http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/15621.

The short summary: when I load a file that includes some multi-byte characters, for example, \240\157\128\128, it crashes during painting of that character. wxSTC is using v3.2.1, but I didn't see any changes related to that issue in the Scintilla history after that version. Please let me know if you need any addtional information. Thank you.

Paul.

Neil Hodgson

Oct 29, 2013, 5:31:31 PM10/29/13
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com
Paul K:

I'm not sure if this is Scintilla problem or not as I can't test Scite on OSX,

   It works fine with Scintilla and SciTE on OS X and Windows which displays the file as [xED][xB3][xB6][xED][xB2][xA2]

but I opened this ticket for wxwidgets and would appreciate if you could take a quick look to confirm that it's not Scintilla. I have all the details (including the stack trace and the file it crashes on) in the ticket: http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/15621.

   The text is "\xED\xB3\xB6\xED\xB2\xA2" which decodes into "\uDCF6\uDCA2". U+DCF6 and U+DCA2 are both trail surrogates which can not appear isolated. This text is not valid UTF-8.

The short summary: when I load a file that includes some multi-byte characters, for example, \240\157\128\128,

   That isn't the contents of the sample file. A file containing U+1D000 as UTF-8 ("\xF0\x9D\x80\x80") opens fine in SciTE on both OS X and Windows.

   Neil

Paul K

Oct 29, 2013, 6:38:21 PM10/29/13
to scintilla...@googlegroups.com, nyama...@me.com
Neil:

Thank you for confirming it's not a Scintilla issue and for the details. You are of course correct about the codes; I'm now not sure where I got \240 code from as I rechecked and the codes indeed are the ones you showed.

Paul.